PDA

View Full Version : Which blades perform best in wet or long turf?

toby
04-02-2002, 07:19 PM
We get heavy spring growth & it is usually wet. Running Toros with SFS decks. No doubles due to blade bracket & electric clutch.
Please vote on what you think the best blades for wet long turf would be.

Runner
04-02-2002, 07:43 PM
Boy, that's kind of a tricky one, as I'm not real familiar with how those SFS decks work. I know they ARE known to work very well in extremely wet condition, because of the open discharg area across the front of the deck. (Which is also, subsequently, a downfall for normal cutting conditions, I'm told) One thing I CAN tell for sure, and that is to stay away from Gators for cutting turf, ePECially in wet conditions. They tend to gob the grass up, and spit it out in clumps. (Sometimes little balls of grass clippings). It just seems like highlifts would outweigh the others, as they would have the most lift to stand the heavy (wet) grass up and cut it clean rather than allowing layover.

TLS
04-02-2002, 07:51 PM
I chose Hi-Lifts, specifically FULLY sharpened to center, SOLID lift foil, Hi-Lifts. They will create the highest effective lift, and the best overall cut in any condition. This high airflow will help keep that front air tunnel in a high pressure condition, thus moving it out as fast as possible.

Flex-Deck
04-02-2002, 11:33 PM
Go gator blades - they mow in the rain, dew, dry, and anywhere inbetween

toroboy
04-02-2002, 11:49 PM
i would have to say gator blades they seem to do a good job cutting up leaves and wet long turf

visions landscape
04-02-2002, 11:53 PM
Go gator

jaybird24
04-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Ive had real good luck running standard blades with just a high lift at the discharge- it gives it an extra kick at the end to disperse the clippings better. Give it a try.:p

Doc Pete
04-03-2002, 12:21 AM
As well all know, it really depends on the type of grass. If the grass is "whimpy" the gators will streak and leave uncut blades of grass. Also, depending on the amount of overlap from the front wheels pushing down "long grass", this can become downright a pain in the butt. I'd make sure to keep the left front wheel out of the new grass, since it pushes the grass down in the same direction as the blade spins and doesn't give the grass enough chance to spring back up. Naturally, if you cut the grass by how high it is rather than once a week whether it needs it or not, you can avoid the problem. I've found high lift blades that have that "slight coning angle" (a bit lower at the tip, compared to the middle) work better than a straight highlift blade.
Pete
For Pete's Sake

OBRYANMAINT
04-03-2002, 11:40 PM
high lifts for me

2 man crew
04-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Is this your first year with a Toro 52 SFS? If it is you will love it for long wet grass. In my opinion Gators do not provide enough lift in the SFS deck. The Gators also turn the wet grass into mush and it clumps slightly. I like the High lifts all year in the Toro SFS. With this deck you need as much lift as possible. You might see some stringers and matted grass with Gators or low lift blades.

toby
04-04-2002, 12:16 AM
2mancrew, been running the SFS decks for a few years & love them for spring cuts. I've been using high-lifts but was told low lifts would keep the wet grass from building up inside the deck. Also wanted to try double low-lifts for spring cuts but not sure about the wear on the electric clutch or if I should cut the blade cradle to fit the bottom blade or use a spacer. Spacer would likely create alot of blow-out & scalping.

naturescape
04-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Jaybird's idea sounds like a winner to me. The best of both worlds....

Esby
04-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Hi lifts for me in wet grass...gators, I feel are only good for mulching leaves. Their cut on wet grass...and pretty much any other kind of grass is like others said, clumpy, and unsatisfactory. Gators, however, do turn leaves into dust.

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
05-27-2007, 01:14 PM
hay jaybird24, i've got to go out there today, waiting for the rain to end.Gonna go out in the shop and set my blades your way. i'll let you know. tim

QUOTE=jaybird24;243055]Ive had real good luck running standard blades with just a high lift at the discharge- it gives it an extra kick at the end to disperse the clippings better. Give it a try.:p[/QUOTE]

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
05-27-2007, 01:18 PM
did'nt relize you could shappen to the center, any effect on the balance? TLC

Vikings
05-27-2007, 01:36 PM
I have two mowers, one with.. I guess a medium or low lift and the other with a gator type blade. In thick wet grass the gator is absolute crap, the normal blade is much better. My other blade got bent that's why I haven't took off the gator type blade.