PDA

View Full Version : Anchor products?

Inspira
05-22-2009, 07:45 AM
So I was all set to use Versa-Lok for a 4-ft high, 35ft. long retaining wall - then had some contractors telling me Anchor puts out a superior product.

The thing is, HD and LWS sell Anchor stuff - and I automatically assume anything the big-box stores carry are crap.

I'm not about price with this one - it's for my own home, and I'm doing this once, not again in ten years. What's the absolute top-of-the line SRW out there, in your opinion?

Bru75
05-22-2009, 09:36 AM
I like versa-lok a lot, very good system, although lately I have noticed too much height variation and a few mold marks that have to be chiseled off the top.
One of my suppliers carries anchor products, and as far as I know they are a good block (haven't used them).
The best to work with imo is techo-bloc, hardly any variation in the block height.

soopa
05-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I like versa-lok a lot, very good system, although lately I have noticed too much height variation and a few mold marks that have to be chiseled off the top.

Versa-lok (like Anchor and most others) license their molds to regional manufacturers so quality issues like those you point out can vary wildly from town to town and supplier to supplier.

We have a local Versa-lok manufacturer here, yet we have 3 other distributors that carry different colors from different out of state manufacturers. PITA.

The best to work with imo is techo-bloc, hardly any variation in the block height.

Does techo manufacture an "engineered" retaining wall system? I've used Creta but I can't imagine using it for engineered or reinforced walls. Pins or lips please.

soopa
05-22-2009, 10:13 PM
The thing is, HD and LWS sell Anchor stuff - and I automatically assume anything the big-box stores carry are crap.

Home depot and lowes don't sell the Anchor stuff you've been recommended to use. Totally different product lines.

You should be looking at Anchor Highland Stone (sold as Belgard, Eagle Bay, etc)

Inspira
05-23-2009, 12:02 AM
I read some real horror stories on this board about Belgard, with all the color fade/efflorescence problems.

I'm thinking of going with techo-bloc, seems to be what most people here recommend.

Bru75
05-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Versa-lok (like Anchor and most others) license their molds to regional manufacturers so quality issues like those you point out can vary wildly from town to town and supplier to supplier.

We have a local Versa-lok manufacturer here, yet we have 3 other distributors that carry different colors from different out of state manufacturers. PITA.

Does techo manufacture an "engineered" retaining wall system? I've used Creta but I can't imagine using it for engineered or reinforced walls. Pins or lips please.

Thats what I suspected. I think my supplier changed sources at some point because I used to never have these problems with versa-lok.
Techo walls can be engineered, I have been told that they have an in-house engineer who will design your wall. You would need to then take the plans to an in state engineer for approval.

BOEpavers
05-24-2009, 01:23 AM
I've used Anchor Highland manufactured by EP Henry with good results - both the single sided and the double sided.. As was mentioned with Versa - Anchor licenses its manufacturing to local producers, so it is also available in our area manufactured by New Holland Concrete with different colors.

Here are some pics of an Highland Wall - EP Henry Pewter Blend.

burnthecouch
05-24-2009, 01:49 AM
BOE what part of central pa are you from? I'm in York.

Inspira
05-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Really nice work, BOE.

B.O.S.man
05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I too have layed a lot of anchor, its the fastest stacking block that I've used. No pins, no clips, no holes to fill, just stack and go.

Paver Gangster
07-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Have you checked out Anchor Bel Air wall by Belgard? ZERO, I mean NIL height problems. And the look is quite eyecatching.

LB1234
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
One of my suppliers carries anchor products, and as far as I know they are a good block (haven't used them).

LOL that is what made me switch from EP to Techo two years ago. The "1/8in" height variation was driving us absolutely nuts. Even though our wall was spot on after a few courses some of the pieces were rocking. Wound up having to swap pieces with same tolerance to make a good fit. EPs response was they were within tolerance...which yes they were. My response was goodbye.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Have you checked out Anchor Bel Air wall by Belgard? ZERO, I mean NIL height problems. And the look is quite eyecatching.

The block is brand new so the mold is probably new as well. I assume that's why the specs are true for now. Nice block, but pricey for most people around here.

AztlanLC
07-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I think anchor walls and techo are the best out there in terms of structure and easy to install, I like them both

NewHorizon's Land
07-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Techo would be my choice