PDA

View Full Version : Did you see the latest edition of Turf?????????????

LouisianaLawnboy
05-22-2009, 10:22 AM
The whole magazine was about how we are ruining the enviroment with our mowers. That a mower produces in 1 hr as much pollution as 40 cars.

Global warming is scientifically baseless and I can't believe Turf bought into it.

As for me, I will still be cranking up my 27hp Kholer and enjoying it.

Kiril
05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
What does pollution have anything to do with global warming?

DRBLawnBuster
05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Yea i saw that i was like thinking how uneffective it would be to run the 21" mowers off sloar energy, they would have no power. And i will stick with my scag

MarcSmith
05-22-2009, 10:54 AM
first, yes our lawn mowers do pollute a lot...... More than 40 cars...hard to say. also have to remember that most of the test and data are based on 21" style machines. What needs to be considered, at least from a landscape standpoint, does a 27hp kohler which only spend 15 minutes on yard running produce less pollutant than the 21"machine that spends and hour on the same parcel of land...My guess would be, Yes the larger engine is more efficient and most likely pollutes less. plus on the large engine equipment you will begin to have provisions for Catalytic converters and such to decrease the pollution even more.

I don't buy into global warming is casued soley by pollution, but I do believe that pollution is not doing us any favors and can be a contributing factor

. Pollution is not a good thing...And anything reasonable we can do to lessen it, IMO is a good idea...

LouisianaLawnboy
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
. Pollution is not a good thing...And anything reasonable we can do to lessen it, IMO is a good idea...

Reasonable is the key word. I know pollution isn't good, but I don't believe in Global Warming.

The same people who are screaming Global Warming, were screaming Global Cooling 20 yrs ago.

IHusky
05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
EPA, what a joke. Some of the biggest pollution comes from turbine jet engines. There's absolutley no emmisson control on the engines. Its like lighting an olympic size swimming pool filled with jet fuel on fire and letting it burn on each flight. Why, because the airlines need the most fuel efficent engines to make the airlines profitable. The EPA startes to target small two stoke engines so Joe Public thinks its doing something. I want a study to see how much an average jetline pollutes in one flight. My guess is that it pollutes as much as all the 2 stroke engines in Amercia in a year. EPA is a joke.

1993lx172
05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
The best way to stop global warming, Super Glue Al Gore's mouth shut.

The grass growing in the corners of my truck bed negate more CO2 than I put out in a year.

FastMan
05-22-2009, 12:37 PM
What we're all going to be mowing with in the near future. :nono:

http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/Zeon/ZeonPage/ZeonPage.html

Richard Martin
05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
It is a fact and not open to debate that Internal Combustion engines are responsible for huge amounts of ozone and other pollutants in our air. And just because there isn't a problem right where you are doesn't mean that your pollution doesn't bother someone else. There is a little place in MD called Davidsonville. The area is sparsely populated, has no industry and no other reasons to have bad air. The area is consistantly one of the worst in the nation and has many code red ozone days every year. Why? Because polluted air from many areas to the west of Davidisonville seems to settle there. The pollution comes from areas as far away as Ohio.

I'm not a champion for global warning or anything like that but I am concerned. If we can do something to help out a little without too much trouble to ourselves I don't see why we shouldn't.

LouisianaLawnboy
05-22-2009, 01:20 PM
It is a fact and not open to debate that Internal Combustion engines are responsible for huge amounts of ozone and other pollutants in our air. And just because there isn't a problem right where you are doesn't mean that your pollution doesn't bother someone else. There is a little place in MD called Davidsonville. The area is sparsely populated, has no industry and no other reasons to have bad air. The area is consistantly one of the worst in the nation and has many code red ozone days every year. Why? Because polluted air from many areas to the west of Davidisonville seems to settle there. The pollution comes from areas as far away as Ohio.

I'm not a champion for global warning or anything like that but I am concerned. If we can do something to help out a little without too much trouble to ourselves I don't see why we shouldn't.

What about a volcano erupting. How much co2 does that put out?

MarcSmith
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM

please......2 hour run time...between charges...

actually world wide volcanos emits about 100,000,000 tons of co2 per year.

Man made co2 is 10,000,000,000 tons per year...

plus volcanoes emit particulate matter which helps reflect the suns energy back into space... slowing the trend of the increasing temperatures.

Temps are rising on this planet, now whether or not its being caused by green house gasses, pollution, or the life stage the planet is in is anyone's guess.

Pollution is bad.

CClawnranger
05-22-2009, 02:14 PM
This is the same government that was telling all of us when I was a kid to eat three squares a day. Eat meat, potatoes and vegetables. Make sure you clean your plate. The problem with their argument is that they are basing their predictions on just over 100 years of climate data. Tens of thousands of years ago "that's before the internal combustion engine I think" the polar ice cap extended to the Carolinas. There is no doubt the earth is getting warmer, they just "think" it's those evil engines. They really have no proof. Just like lots of other government agencies you have to prove your worth or you're eliminated. You point at all those nasty car and industrial emissions and say we should do something about that. Next thing you know thousands of highly paid government employees are handing out millions in fines to justify their existence. And in the end the common man pays for it all.

MarcSmith
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
CC. so pollution is a good thing then, in your opinion?

Wizz
05-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Take a few advanced collegiate science calsses and you'll see exactly how Global Warming is factual. Do you also believe that Ice Ages never occured, Glaciers aren't melting, global temps aren't rising, etc....all of these are measurable and proven aspects. It's amazing how many people base thier opinions or other's opinions as 'fact' without having studied the subject or the scientific formulas involved. Most people aren't going to believe some 'good ole boy' politician that never went to college when he says Global Warming is a sham. It's nice seeing Big Oil and other major polluting companies getting their butts handed to them and finally letting more environmentally firendly companies have their turn at the funding wheel.

Mowers do pollute a lot, it's something that can be easily measured and calculated...a traditional push mower produces as much pollution as 43 new cars being driven 12,000 miles. These stats will vary greatly depending on the type of mower/motor and car being used in comparison...yet another 'scientific' variable that effects the result, but mowers pollute way more than cars any way you shake it. But what are we to do, not mow? :)

FastMan
05-22-2009, 03:08 PM
please......2 hour run time...between charges...

No problem, we just get bigger trailers and take 3 of them along for each guy in the crew. :usflag:

Yater
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Take a few advanced collegiate science calsses and you'll see exactly how Global Warming is factual. Do you also believe that Ice Ages never occured, Glaciers aren't melting, global temps aren't rising, etc....all of these are measurable and proven aspects....

These trends are cyclical. This time is no different. I fully expect the next cooling trend to be right on schedule. Either way, it can't be good when you release several hundred million years' worth of fossil fuel into the atmosphere in the span of ~100 years.

MarcSmith
05-22-2009, 03:40 PM
No problem, we just get bigger trailers and take 3 of them along for each guy in the crew. :usflag: and then well need bigger trucks with bigger engine to spew more pollutants to use an electric mower...:):):):) Aint life one big circle jerk...:)

LouisianaLawnboy
05-22-2009, 03:41 PM
No problem, we just get bigger trailers and take 3 of them along for each guy in the crew. :usflag:

Brilliant solution.

LouisianaLawnboy
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
One of my favorite observations on the article, was how the guy was hauling all of his "green" equipment in a big chevy truck.

Also making all of this enviro friendly stuff makes more pollution than it prevents. DUH

Blood Bought
05-22-2009, 04:38 PM
[

Mowers do pollute a lot, it's something that can be easily measured and calculated...a traditional push mower produces as much pollution as 43 new cars being driven 12,000 miles. These stats will vary greatly depending on the type of mower/motor and car being used in comparison...yet another 'scientific' variable that effects the result, but mowers pollute way more than cars any way you shake it. But what are we to do, not mow? :)[/QUOTE]

Come on, did you really swallow all that liberal garbage your prof fed you? Bet that the "traditional push mower" they used was the worst running piece of junk they could find. Probably used to spray for mosquitos. Fact is air quality is and has been improving year over year yet the Al Gore's are crying "foul air" louder and louder and demanding more restrictions that cost you and me and those to come more of our hard earned dollars. We are destroying our own economy for a 1 or 2% potential improvement in the air.

"The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research analyzed data collected by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and concluded that levels of numerous gases linked with air pollution have fallen off since 2001.

Among the findings: Carbon monoxide decreased by 39 percent, ozone by 6 percent, and sulfur dioxide by 32 percent.

"Pick any category you want and pollution levels are generally lower than they were seven years ago," said Steven Hayward, the policy analyst who authored the report, titled "Index of Leading Environmental Indicators," for the conservative think tank.

Now that's not my uneducated opinion that is scientific evidence.

MarcSmith
05-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Also making all of this enviro friendly stuff makes more pollution than it prevents. DUHby this logical thinking we should be using horse and buggy...a sickle and a scythe to cut our grass...

Any time a new technology comes out there is some waste when production starts, but as the production become more widespread, new methods come about to increase efficiency and reduce pollution and unwanted by-products of production. Just like when someone starts a landscape business they start small, and as they grow and become more efficient, they have less waste. whether it be time, plants, mulch, ect.

ohiogreenworks
05-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Do you guys that believe in global warming honestly believe we should change our mowers or cars/trucks just because the earth is going through a warming cycle? Just because this so happens to be a warming cycle and we now have engines that pollute we are to blame? Al Gore is laughing all the way to the bank....:hammerhead:

Toy2
05-22-2009, 05:24 PM
The whole magazine was about how we are ruining the enviroment with our mowers. That a mower produces in 1 hr as much pollution as 40 cars.

Global warming is scientifically baseless and I can't believe Turf bought into it.

As for me, I will still be cranking up my 27hp Kholer and enjoying it.

Yes, that's stupid, I went out side and burned it, I also started the Toro and let it run while I washed my car............also had some old gas/oil mix...........walked down the road pouring it along the crack of the payment.......works better that Round-Up...........

Maybe Gore got to Turf???????:confused:

flatlander42
05-22-2009, 07:12 PM
one thing I would like to add,

What the he!! does the gubberment do with all the fines/penalties, ect that they collect? Find more ways to get more money? All any of this does is make stuff more expensive....it does not stop anything.:hammerhead:

and speakin of Al Gore.....that idiots house(s) takes more energy than how many 21" mowers?:dizzy:

LushGreenLawn
05-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I was a little taken aback by the article. It seemed like a big commercial for that mowing company. They seemed to have all homeowner black and decker equipment. I bet it takes a long time to trim around a house with that little electric string trimmer. How do they edge, with the same electric string trimmer (have you ever seen a homwowner do this? Its brutal).

If I was using that stuff I would have to charge quadruple for a 1/4 acre lawn. Not going to fly in my areas.

Paul's LC
05-22-2009, 07:43 PM
where do they think the energy comes from to charge those hustler mowers?? the burning of fossil fuels id guess..electricity is not always the answer!

LouisianaLawnboy
05-22-2009, 08:52 PM
by this logical thinking we should be using horse and buggy...a sickle and a scythe to cut our grass...

Any time a new technology comes out there is some waste when production starts, but as the production become more widespread, new methods come about to increase efficiency and reduce pollution and unwanted by-products of production. Just like when someone starts a landscape business they start small, and as they grow and become more efficient, they have less waste. whether it be time, plants, mulch, ect.

NO! I can't believe you don't that when horses pass gas, that is harmful to the enviroment. If everyone rode a horse just think of the effect.

Anyway the guy should be riding one of those Prius or smart cars.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

topsites
05-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I am sorry but for those who think global warming is a joke that spew is no
better than Turf's dissing on us.

S.I.
05-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did make up 'global warming'

looonman
05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I noticed the change in the magazine. I wonder if it has something to do with David Cassidy not being the editor now?

P.Services
05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
yeah i saw that addition of turf to!!............... right before i tossed it in the trash.

JohnnyDB
11-02-2010, 03:28 PM
In response to the carbon monoxide comments, I just have a few additions to the conversation.

"Carbon monoxide is a major atmospheric pollutant in some urban areas, chiefly from the exhaust of internal combustion engines (including vehicles, portable and back-up generators, lawn mowers, power washers, etc.), but also from improper burning of various other fuels (including wood, coal, charcoal, oil, paraffin, propane, natural gas, and trash)."

Clearly lawn mowers are a known source of carbon monoxide. I had a terrible experience where I left one of my mowers on in one of my enclosed trailers. Needless to say, it was an awful experience.

seabee24
10-19-2011, 05:45 PM

i honestly can not wait until we are at that point.

best mower than i own at the moment - no joke - 20 inch 36 volt works battery operated mower. I have 2 one with self propell one with out.

I had two rather interesting accounts that required 21 inch mowers to be used, soon after watching my guys i discovered either - the manor in which they were being used was dangerours, or if corrected, it took a great deal of time away. we went to an electric mower----best investment yet. I have never been in grass that it would not mow (we do mow weekly), to my surpise it does not lack any power, its light weight, it uses no gas, no maintenance other than charge the battery. we got weeks of use on a battery charge for our useage. I save so much money in gas and maintenace that every 2.5 years this unit will pay for itself again.

Iv had a ton of problems with 2 cycle equiptment - epa...crappy gas...the list goes on. you know what, go try one of those new stihl battery units....--the head sucks, the design is a little small for me, the bottom is too big---bottom line it needs improvments, but if you do line trim every week, in most cases this unit would provide enough power to do the job with little to no prodcution difference- and we will no count the 15 mins it took while your worker flooded the gas weed wipe, or the time for repairing the broken pull starter. elecdtric you pick it up , sqeeze the trigger and it runs...no warm up period, or anything else. To so respects if they keep making changes you would be dumb not to try it. I didnt say give up the big 28 cc model, but most lawns in my area that are trimmed every week correctly, we use a 21 cc, and we dont have to even pull the trigger much

question - for those that hate electric - why do trains use electricity to turn the wheels, why do large loaders use it? super large excavators and drag line shovels.... because it works well.

Richard Martin
10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
question - for those that hate electric - why do trains use electricity to turn the wheels, why do large loaders use it? super large excavators and drag line shovels.... because it works well.

Almost all of these are diesel powered with the diesel engine turning generators. There are purely electric express passenger trains but when the load gets heavy they turn to the diesel locomotives.