PDA

View Full Version : Mulching Blade performance question

AA961JESTER
04-02-2002, 07:29 PM
I am running gator blades on my walk behind mowers. Would they perform better if I made a plate to temporarily close the discharge shoot???

Runner
04-02-2002, 07:35 PM
Why would you be running a gator at this time of year anyway? With grass, especially wet or thicker grass, all it does is clump it up into little balls. The only grass they work proficiently on is dry grass that has already been cut and allowed to dry somewhat. If you put a plate on, then, i'd imagine, that you'd REALLY have a mess. A plate definitely doesn't do the same effect as a whole mulching setup.

Premo Services
04-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Runner is absolutely correct. :D
I know this from experience. I have an exmark and tried to put a plate at the discharge, it did not work well at all.:( Left piles of grass at the discharge side, because each blade is supposed to be enclosed seperately with a mulching kit. I bought the mulching kit and it works great. Also in the spring, wouldn`t a high lift work better, so it could throw the thick, wet grass out further. Gators did not do well for me in the spring, with the thick, wet grass.

wattsup
04-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Double blades, I am using doubles now and they are great. High lifts on the bottom gator magnums on top. I have a mulching kit for my mower, but I will never use it again after trying double blades.

AA961JESTER
04-03-2002, 02:29 PM
At this time of the season I am using high lift blades. I am just thinking ahead so when its time to switch I will already have the answer.

jkkalbers
04-03-2002, 03:08 PM
What are exactly are double blades? I've never heard of that before?