PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda or ?

Heintooga
05-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I want to experiment with my lawn. It has a variety of grasses and weeds. My hope (dream) would be to get a seed that I could consistantly overseed with until I eventually have a nice and consistant stand. I'm in E.Tn. at 1000ft. Another hope (fantasy) is to conduct this experiment with no aeration, sprays, etc., just seed and water and a mulching mower. Any suggestions on seed type to try?

hmartin
05-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Pick most any grass type and chop out everything else with a hoe. Keep working on this and sowing seed. You'll end up with 1000 sq feet of one type grass without any sprays.

Heintooga
05-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks. I figured I was looking for something that didn't exist. Maybe a trip across town to the U. of T.'s Ag. campus is in order.

Heintooga
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Pick most any grass type and chop out everything else with a hoe. Keep working on this and sowing seed.

I opted to over-seed with Common Bermuda. It's working well for only a few months at it. The Bermuda seems to enjoy the nitro that the clover is offering.

avguy
07-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Go over to the Lesco on Middlebrook & talk to Jim. He is their Bermuda expert & has been a tremendous help to me.

RAlmaroad
07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
You want a fescue mix. Bermuda turns brown and goes dormant very early here in East TN. I live just up the road in Kingsport. Overseeding with fescue to thicken up the grass after planting in the fall is OK but it will do that anyway. Just water it and give it a a little fertilize; will produce a pretty turf. Of course you could throw in some bluegrass and you'll have a very beautiful fine blade turf.

avguy
07-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Go over to the Lesco on Middlebrook & talk to Jim. He is their Bermuda expert & has been a tremendous help to me.

Sorry....Lesco on Weisgarber @ Middlebrook.

Didn't see how to edit a post here? Am I missing something?

Heintooga
07-12-2010, 07:55 PM

I'm just piddlin with my own lawn. The folks at Knoxville Seed on Rutledge Pk. have been helpful and they're giving me great prices on seed. Next time I'm on Middlebrook I'll talk to them. When I get good enough coverage I'll top-dress to smooth it better because I can't mow below 2" without scalping. You can edit posts but there's a time limit although I don't know how long.

RAlmaroad: Thanks for the suggestion but I can live with dormant Bermuda. I want low-no maintenance and I'm too lazy to plug Zoysia.

Heintooga
07-16-2010, 05:31 PM

Went by and chatted with Jim about Bermuda. I learned enough to keep me busy till spring and I got a bag of 35-3-5 while I was there. Thanks for telling me about him. I may look up Phil too, the guy does the Winona St. fields but they're all hybrid.

avguy
07-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm in the process of renovating just under 2 acres with bermuda here. Jim has really helped me quit a bit. Glad you got a chance to talk with him.

I renovated just a little over an acre 1st of June. I'm cutting every other day.....& not just a 1/4 or 1/2 inch either. I've never in my life seen grass grow as fast as I have here.

DieselDennis
07-17-2010, 01:03 AM
I renovated just a little over an acre 1st of June. I'm cutting every other day.....& not just a 1/4 or 1/2 inch either. I've never in my life seen grass grow as fast as I have here.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but what are you guys doing to make Bermuda grow like that? Are you just pouring the nitrogen to it? Was there a soil amendment you put in earlier (compost, sand?)? Is there a liquid fertilizer you're using?

Like the OP, I'd like bermuda to spread all over my yard as well.

Heintooga
07-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Dennis, I too am interested in how avguy is getting such prolific growth and at what height he is cutting. My guess is he did a proper redo while I'm over-seeding and letting the Bermuda do it's thing. I haven't watered, fed or any thing special to mine and I'm mowing once or twice per week at 2" to keep the seed heads away. Where mine is doing best is where I killed some clover so maybe there's some residual nitro helping. I'll lower the blade in Sept. and over seed again to get more spread before the fall dormancy. For next year I'm considering two pre-emergent treatments, then topdressing/seeding my half acre. Then start with the nitro. Bermuda thrives in hot/humid climates so it should do well for you in Miss.

avguy
07-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I did complete renovations on a 14k area in the front last year and just finished a 60k area in the back this year.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279977

I had a soil test done almost 3 years ago. The extension agent in Nashville said my soil was so acidic (4.9) that it would be a waste of time, effort & money to try to do anything until I had the soil amended. So I spent almost 2 1/2 years applying lime (140lbs/1000sqft in 3 separate applications) and 7lbs 15-15-15 /1000sqft in September, October & March of each year.

When I did the front last year I did bring in 27yds (which is not much) of topsoil & tilled it in to the existing soil. Fertilized with starter & watered. Filled in nicely on it's own but took a month or two to really fill in.

What I have since learned from this site & elsewhere is that bermuda needs to be fed once a month even after it is established.

This is the schedule Jim at the Lesco gave me

March- 19-0-6 3.8lbs/1000, Dimension/speedzone 1.5oz/1000
May- 19-0-6 3.8lbs/1000
June- 32-3-8 30% PPSCU 3.1lbs/1000
July- 32-3-8 30% PPSCU 3.1lbs/1000
August- 32-3-8 3.1lbs/1000
Sept.- 5-0-17 Dimension 3.8lbs/1000
Oct.- aeration
Nov.- 0-0-8 Momentum 3.8lbs/1000

I did apply my July application 10 days early as I was going to be out of town until Mid July & didn't want the application to be late.
I mowed the back last Sunday night on 7/11, waited 2 days & applied Sedghammer on 7/14, had to wait 2 more days for the sedgehammer to start to work in then cut it again last night 7/16 & it was like cutting hay. Had to cut it 3 different ways before I finally got rid of all the clumps of grass. I'm mowing at just over 3".

Edit: I have only used starter fert on the back (per Jim) so far. The front is getting the 32-3-8.

lilmarvin4064
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
have you done a soil test? Your soil might be low in P. New bermuda loves the P. You might need a 20-10-10, or something similar.