PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Meyer Zoysia Lawn

cpinsc
04-02-2002, 07:48 PM
I am having problems cutting a Meyer zoysia lawn that was sodded 1 year ago. I am trying a new Honda Masters self propelled with the double mulching blades installed. Either mulching or bagging, the mower wants to stall in the thickest parts (and the zoysia is just starting to grow). Also, it is leaving way too many clippings in the thick parts when mulching. What would you recommend? I thought the Honda (5hp OHV) would out perforum the Toro Super Recycler even though the hp is rated 6.5. Help would be appreciated. I really want to mulch because bagging is taking forever.

laynlow
04-02-2002, 09:13 PM
I hate to say it, but I think that is just the nature of that beast. My neighbor has some Zoysia sections in a yard that is otherwise bermuda. I don't believe your mower is the problem. I have a Honda also, but the neighbor has a mower with a 6.5 briggs on it that stalls in the Zoysia section only.

Catcher
04-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Try mowing more often, taking less of a cut?

cpinsc
04-05-2002, 07:48 PM
I think both of you are right, but I am mowing once per week now. Found a neighbor across the way with Meyer. He cuts with a Toro Recycler, 6.5 hp and says he has no problems. He cuts his about 3 1/2" high however. I am trying to keep it at about 2 inches.

CSRA Landscaping
04-05-2002, 09:39 PM
It may be worth your time to bag the clippings, that way you won't have the clipping bogging your mower down. Or you could discharge the clippings and blow off the excess, still getting a neat looking yard. I think, with zoysia, that you can even get away with mowing it at 1-1.5". That may reduce the amount that you have to take off each time, since the length of the blade plays a role in the depth of the roots.

KirbysLawn
04-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Get a mower made for your lawn.

http://www.trupower.com/tru_cut/images/reel01.jpg

http://www.trupower.com/tru_cut/reel-mowers.htm

Zoysia cut at around 3/4" with reel mowers:

http://www.unionturf.com/rays/DSC00080%20sm.jpg

toby
04-06-2002, 03:43 AM
Takes too long to bag. Mulching looks like crap. Get a Lawnboy & side-discharge it.

ezf
04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
cut it at above 3 inches, your problem should go away since it is no longer growing that fast

agrostis
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
If you want to mow with that set-up you need to mow at 3-3.5 inches. If you want to go lower than that you need a reel mower.

WoodinVirginia
05-13-2011, 11:28 PM
If you mow it with a ZTR mower sharpen your blades every 20 hours to make your lawn look right too... All zoysia grass is tough on blades as well. Sharp blades make the lawn look better.

WoodinVirginia
05-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Another recommendation is to get some EZ Slide or Wilmars Clean Deck & clean the UNDERSIDE of your deck & then after cleaning it Sandpaper it & get it really clean & apply one of these products. These products are both Graphite based akyl paints which stick to the underside of your deck and do not allow grass to stick to the deck and is an aide in keeping your deck clear of grass.

Would also recommend you clean the underside of your deck using high pressure wash or garden hose every 3rd cut after you have applied Ez slide if you want your high cut wet grass to stop coming out in clumps.