PDA

View Full Version : Napa Oil Filters For Kaw engines

ed2hess
05-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Today I took a Kaw filter in the Napa to get a cross. The Kaw filter was about $7.93. The Napa filter was about $7.45 for one filter. I was just about to walk off when he said if you buy 12 in a bubble pack the price will be $3.00 each:clapping: Now the question is ....are these filters(NAPA ProSelect 21394) any good. If I look down into the center of the Kaw filter it has a spingy device and Napa doesn't. I definitely not going to use them in my big engines but was going to use them on the smaller engines.

mgm
05-22-2009, 08:43 PM
We changed all 8 of our 6hp Kwai 21 inch with Fram PH4967 last season , no problems , saved $2.50 each filter change.

dutch1
05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Check with your NAPA dealer to see if they have a Farm Filter Day. If they do, you can usually buy the top of the line NAPA Gold 1394 by the dozen for around $3 each.

Dutch

DT Lawn Care
05-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Check with your NAPA dealer to see if they have a Farm Filter Day. If they do, you can usually buy the top of the line NAPA Gold 1394 by the dozen for around $3 each.

Dutch

Ya, I have used the 1394 Gold (I think) on my Kaw 420V. I don't remember what I paid, but NAPA seems to be the cheapest and easiest for anything engine related (at least around here).

ricky86
05-23-2009, 02:14 AM
Ask yourself, how good can that filter be. Obviously they are overpriced at $7.45. How else can they discount them by that amount. I can't understand why anyone would use anything other than OEM filters. At least you know it's as good as the one that came with the engine. Problem is, you will never know for sure. And all the testimonials about how much you can save. Do you think anyone would even know if the element failed? The spring is part of the relief system. An important component for a engine oil filter, but they are not used in a hydraulic filter (which would be 25 micron or less).

ed2hess
05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Ask yourself, how good can that filter be. Obviously they are overpriced at $7.45. How else can they discount them by that amount. I can't understand why anyone would use anything other than OEM filters. At least you know it's as good as the one that came with the engine. Problem is, you will never know for sure. And all the testimonials about how much you can save. Do you think anyone would even know if the element failed? The spring is part of the relief system. An important component for a engine oil filter, but they are not used in a hydraulic filter (which would be 25 micron or less).

I took them back.....that spring and the low cost bothered me.

kjslawn
05-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Go to express mower parts .com no spaces sorry I got OEM for a great deal if I bought 12 saved almost half what dealer wants

Columbia Care
05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
I agree with kjslawn on Express Mower Parts. When I order, I play with the quantity to reduce my shipping cost. Most oil filters cost me around $4 with shipping based on the quantity I order.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Napa filters are mad by WIX, which are the best out there.

tacoma200
05-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Yes, I know wix was making Napa filters. Napa has pretty high standards, I have never heard of a problem with them. There are several filters out there that are made to as high or higher standards than OEM depending on who makes the OEM filter.

B&A lawn care
05-28-2009, 09:43 AM
There is absolutely no reason to fear a Wix or any other name brand aftermarket filter if it was properly crossed over, which is a whole lot differant than "it will screw on the base". As another poster stated there are hydraulic filters that absolutely should not be used on an engine application. We use Purolators because I like the local dealer for them better than the local NAPA. Our 17HP Kaw has been living happily with L10241 Purolators for many years.

tacoma200
05-30-2009, 01:01 AM
The auto parts stores often recommend using the longer Wix filter rather than the short one. It cost about half. Any danger using the long Wix filer in place of the small one that most ZTR's come with?

dishboy
05-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Napa filters are mad by WIX, which are the best out there.

I had used Napa gold for years in small engines and have zero oil relatetd problems.

tamadrummer
05-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I use the Napa Gold/Wix filters on my mowers! 1394 for Kaw and 1348 for Kohler.

I will be buying the EAo 009 filters for my mowers from now on. Amsoil everything at that point. Use the Formula 4 stroke 10w30/30wt for small engines.

To my knowledge the OEMs sub out their filter making to whom ever is cheapest..... Go figure, no thanks I will stay with what I believe to be the best made. WIX or Amsoil filters and only Amsoil oils

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Any danger using the long Wix filer in place of the small one that most ZTR's come with?

I can't imagine a problem, so long as you compensate for the extra quantity of oil perpetually in the filter (and, thus, NOT in your crank case).

mowerknower
05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
I reccomend oem filters for the warranty period. After that, use what ever you want. But during the warranty period do not give the manufacturer an excuse not to warrant a engine failure.

Envy Lawn Service
05-31-2009, 06:31 PM
I have used the NAPA gold filters... they are Wix.
Work fine.

I recommend Wix and SuperTech for filters.

And no, there is nothing wrong with using a longer filter that fits as long as the flow specs are the same.

It's actually better because you actually gain oil capacity and filtering area as well.

TimTim2008
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
anyone know the cross refrence for a "Kohler Engines 14 to 20 HP Oil Filter OEM # 52-050-02"?

tamadrummer
09-10-2009, 09:10 PM
anyone know the cross refrence for a "Kohler Engines 14 to 20 HP Oil Filter OEM # 52-050-02"?

1348 in Napa Gold or 51348 in Wix both are the same with a different wrapper.

DT Lawn Care
09-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Menards just had a sale on Quaker State oil filters, and I loaded up on them. The Kawa crossed from Napa 1394 were like $2.50 each and the Kohler crossed from Napa 1348 were like $2.24. Screw paying $7 per filter at Napa, they are the same thing, maybe not as great of quality, but the book at Menards cross-referenced them, same exact thing. If anyone is interested I can get the Quaker State numbers.

Envy Lawn Service
09-12-2009, 01:13 AM
I am thinking I finally found a cross for the SuperTech filters for Kawi....

Once I realized they are the same as the Mobil 1 filters (figured that out by accident on my SUV).
Exact same filter PERIOD, different label.

$3 v/s ridiculous.

If I remember I will check tomorrow.