PDA

View Full Version : Deposit the check?

Lawn-Scapes
04-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Hey guys..

I have a wierd situation...

I have had this customer for a couple of years now. Middle of last year they started slacking on the payments but they caught up in January. I called them a couple of times (leaving messages) in January to get them to sign up for this coming year and did not hear back from them.

February rolled around and I received another check.. I figured they thought they were still behind.. so I called and got the answering machine again.. left another message to call me. Never called. About a week later I drove over to their house on a Sunday afternoon with my 'agreement' in one hand and their check in the other.

I apologized for the Sunday intrusion and handed him the check explaining they were up to date.. then briefly introduced the agreement and asked if they were still interested in my services for the upcoming season. He said yes they still want my services and he will look over the agreement and get back with me in a couple of days. Well... a couple of weeks go by without a call.

I then receive another check March 1st for the same amount.. seems I was put on auto pay. I call again.. and leave this message: Hello, this is Tom with TSG... I haven't heard back from you in regard to the agreement.. I have since received another check. Should I deposit it as your first payment.. return it to you or should I just tear it up? Please give me a call.. Thanks.

Again.. NO CALL BACK It has since expired (void after 30 days).

Guess what? I just received another check today.

They haven't cancelled and their first scheduled visit is Thursday..

Should I accept this latest check as their first payment and deposit it?

:confused:

Kevin
04-02-2002, 09:16 PM
He said yes...... by depositing the check are you agreeing to take them on? Were they on autopay last year?

rodfather
04-02-2002, 09:17 PM
If it were me, I start mowing...but I would admit, it does all sound kind of strange.

Downeast
04-02-2002, 09:18 PM
I would keep the check , and start mowing until the checks stop.
Consider them signed on .

John Allin
04-02-2002, 09:29 PM
Take da money !!!
Do da work !!!

Pay more people do dat.....

LawnLad
04-02-2002, 09:35 PM
Do the work, deposit the check and credit it to their account. Send them a letter clarifying what you've done and ask them to contact you if they have any quesitons. Thank 'em for their business. Some people are too busy with their own lives to even pay attention to the details.

Tony Harrell
04-02-2002, 10:39 PM
Sounds like procratinators. They probably realized it over the winter and put you on the autopay. Get your butt over there and start cutting!

script
04-02-2002, 11:31 PM
I'd mow as long as the checks were coming in. Sounds like they're just lazy to call you back but still want your service.

Bobby

toroboy
04-02-2002, 11:39 PM
i think u should still mow their lawn if they keep paying

Gtotoy
04-03-2002, 12:01 AM
money in the bank for me man, cut 'em

James234
04-03-2002, 12:22 AM
I have never spoken on the phone or in person to the folks that deliver my newspaper, pick up my garbage, provide my water, electric, phone or any other service. I just send them the money. Why would I want to answer or return a phone call from a service provider?

Lawn-Scapes
04-03-2002, 12:31 AM
It wasn't a question of whether to continue servicing them. It's just seems like an awkward situation. Checking my records.. They fell behind mid-season by about $500. Then I started receiving the auto pay checks for $187.50. Why that amount.. I don't know? I'd feel better if I had the signed agreement and put me on auto pay for the correct amount..

RoyaleRcr
04-03-2002, 02:07 AM
If they are elderly you might be dealing with something like Alzhiemer's Desease or Senial Demmensia. I had someone like this, it turned out his daughter began handling his affairs for him after he got way behind. Really a sad deal. Something to consider. I would do what everyone else says and continue as long as money comes in.

bobbygedd
04-03-2002, 02:23 AM
send a certified letter, thanking them for paying so promptly, and what a pleasure it is to work at their property, and to date, xxx is credited to their acct. start working.

JimLewis
04-03-2002, 04:02 AM
In this case, where they hadn't definitely signed on with you for this year, I personally, wouldn't mow or cash the checks until I got an okay from them. Just because their bank keeps sending you checks doesn't mean they necessarily intend to send them to you. Nor does it mean they necessarily intend to use your service again. I think if you take it as such, start cashing the checks and mowing for them, you're puting yourself at risk.

BTW, If a customer ever got 5 months behind with our company, I'd NEVER work for them again. (But I'd only tell them that after they paid me and got caught up.)

I am surprised at the number of guys (scrubs) here who told you to just take the payment and start mowing. If you are working for people who have left you hanging for 5 months, you are a scrub and deserve what you get. If you cash checks when you aren't sure they were really intended for you to cash, then you are a scrub. Sorry if that offends some people here. But that's not how a professional company should act.

JimLewis
04-03-2002, 04:13 AM
BTW, If it were me, I'd start calling the client 5 times per day (not leaving messages) until I spoke with them live and found out what their intentions were for the checks and the service.

Tony Harrell
04-03-2002, 07:41 AM
Scrub? That's kind of harsh. Since they fell behind, they put him on the autopay, a recurring payment system. I have almost all of my recurring bills on debit. I probably write no more than 3-4 checks a month for my household. I'd agree that he needs to get in contact with these people, but autopay seems like they intended to keep him on.

Lawn-Scapes
04-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Who said anything about 5 months? You are a scrub for either not reading the post or assuming... :p

I also mentioned that I spoke with him in person and he verbally told me that he wanted my services for this season..

I wrote this post to get opinions because I know it's an awkward situation.. I thought I mentioned this?

Why don't you come down off your high horse a little????

Have a nice day!

mdb landscaping
04-03-2002, 09:40 AM
I dont think im going to touch upon this post with a ten foot pole:D

bubble boy
04-03-2002, 11:51 AM
i'll touch it

Originally posted by jimlewis
I am surprised at the number of guys (scrubs) here who told you to just take the payment and start mowing.

wow, i've never seen a post by lewis as harsh as this.

i myself don't know what i'd do, probably would just do the work, assuming the money kept coming. there was a verbal go ahead, and although i use contracts sometimes i get customers that i don't have one for, for what ever reason.

i would not call someone who takes the money, or advises TSG to do so, a scrub.

Scraper
04-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bubble boy
i'll touch it

wow, i've never seen a post by lewis as harsh as this.

He must be feeling the effects of the poor economy. ;)

JimLewis
04-03-2002, 11:59 AM
Hmmmm.. Now that I go back and read it, I don't know where I came up with 5 months. Either I was just too tired and immagining things or I was confusing different posts I was reading at the same time. Anyway, I am sorry for that. I was mistaken about the 5 months thing.

I still think it's inappropriate for you to cash the checks though. You knew that there was a likelihood that the automatic checks were forgotten and so until you hear for sure they aren't a mistake, it's not right to cash them. I think you had an idea that wasn't the right thing to do, and that's why you had to ask.

Calling you a scrub was probably a little harsh. I am sorry. Again, I don't know where I got the 5 months behind from. That's tripping me out. It's just that there are so many scrubs out there who will jump at any money they can get their hands on, whether they should or not. And I am getting sick of that attitude in our industry. We gotta think of things from the clients' perspective.

It still aint right to cash those checks. Good chance AutoPay was intended just for a few months and then they forgot about it. Since you didn't cash any of them before, they had know way of knowing (other than checking their computer register) that they were written. But once you start cashing them, I think problems could start. And there's no need for that.

Just keep calling them.

Lawn-Scapes
04-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Well I finally got in touch with the Mrs.. She told me to continue with service and deposit the check.. so I will.

Thanks again..

Jim, I can forgive you.. but I will never forget :cry:

bobbygedd
04-03-2002, 08:39 PM
cash em, cut it. signed.......scrub. btw, i personally dont have the time, or desire to call someone 5 times a day, the name of the game is makin money, and since the money has already been sent, go cutting.