PDA

View Full Version : California to phase out pre-1994 HD diesels

nosparkplugs
05-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Even though diesel emission regulations are becoming more stringent everywhere. California seems to be leading the charge to clean up older, on highway diesels. Starting January 1, 2011, all pre 1994 heavy duty diesel trucks operating on public roads in California with gross vehicle weight ratings above 14,000 pounds have to be equipped with DPF's (some vehicles are exempt). Later model engines also have to be retrofitted, or meet 2010 emission standards in due time.

Currently Tennessee does not do emission testing for any on highway diesels, these new CA diesel emission laws are troubling since we all know as California goes on emission standards so does the country.

These Retrofit DPF filter kits cost thousands of dollars, I foresee many pre 1994 or 2010 diesel owners will rebel. Will the government help pay for these filters or will the american citizen be forced to foot the bill or say "F" you:usflag:

stuvecorp
05-23-2009, 01:33 AM
Since it is all PC to be for everything 'green' even if it doesn't make any sense we all will probably get nailed eventually.:hammerhead:

12Valve
05-23-2009, 01:33 AM
thats the biggest bunch of bs. i know they arent cheap and reduce the effency of the motor. there will never be a muffler or dpf on my 95 i give the f u. I wish california would crack at the fault line and suceed into the ocean.

stuvecorp
05-23-2009, 01:35 AM
thats the biggest bunch of bs. i know they arent cheap and reduce the effency of the motor. there will never be a muffler or dpf on my 95 i give the f u. I wish california would crack at the fault line and suceed into the ocean.

That's funny, I almost typed that about Cali.:dizzy: I am tired of Cali running amok with this emission stuff.:mad:

Gravel Rat
05-23-2009, 04:05 AM
That is old news there has been talk about exhaust filters on trucks in Canada a few years ago. I heard it was a couple thousand dollars to install the system. I haven't heard any more on it that was a couple years ago.

nosparkplugs
05-23-2009, 10:57 AM
If a poll was taken the majority of the country feels California has run amok in "general" years ago, and has taken the country down with it. These new emission laws do nothing but hurt the working class.

That's funny, I almost typed that about Cali.:dizzy: I am tired of Cali running amok with this emission stuff.:mad:

zabmasonry
05-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I attended a talk by a senior member of the california air resources board. he was speaking about what needed to be done to reduce carbon emissions. He showed a slide showing changes that can be made, according to his graphic moving to diesels would reduce emissions by about 10-15%. I stood up and asked him, "if your graphic shows that diesel reduce carbon emissions, why has CARB been working to eliminate small and medium diesels from being produced, and imposed such stringent restrictions on diesels that milage has dropped significantly."

His response was that the technology exists, and auto makers just don't want to implement it because its expensive. partly true, but how stupid do you have to be to know that if something is that expensive then people won't buy it.

I agree that california would be just as well off in the ocean.

nosparkplugs
05-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Yep it's true once we reduce the large particulate/solids "black" diesel smoke diesels produce less pollution than gasburners. Even with that diesels are cleaner than even California/CARB knows this too!!, and this is why diesels where finally taken off the CA chopping block or ban for future sale in California. It's all about MONEY not the environment. Funny thing Europe has embraced diesel, have access to ALL the highly fuel efficient diesels BMW, Audi, VW. Yes even Ford, Dodge & GM have diesel's in thier cars in Europe, and still we cannot purchase those vehicles here in the USA; becuase of the EPA

I attended a talk by a senior member of the california air resources board. he was speaking about what needed to be done to reduce carbon emissions. He showed a slide showing changes that can be made, according to his graphic moving to diesels would reduce emissions by about 10-15%. I stood up and asked him, "if your graphic shows that diesel reduce carbon emissions, why has CARB been working to eliminate small and medium diesels from being produced, and imposed such stringent restrictions on diesels that milage has dropped significantly."

His response was that the technology exists, and auto makers just don't want to implement it because its expensive. partly true, but how stupid do you have to be to know that if something is that expensive then people won't buy it.

I agree that california would be just as well off in the ocean.

bobcat_ron
05-23-2009, 03:32 PM
It's just another tickle to the economic genitals for stimulation purposes.

lyube
05-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Easy guys, government knows best. Even more than you do.

GravelyNut
05-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Easy guys, government knows best. Even more than you do.:laugh: Not!

12Valve
05-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Easy guys, government knows best. Even more than you do.

i just hope i never hear a knock at the door "hi were from the government and here to help":laugh:

BIGBEN2004
05-25-2009, 08:53 AM
I would almost think it would be impossible to make older diesels meet any new standards in emissions. Their is a reason they are not made anymore and that was because they couldn't pass the new emissions laws. I liked the old 7.3 and thought it was a great engine but it had to go because of the laws passed. It would be protested for so long they would have a hard time getting it passed. Thanks Obama...................

Gravel Rat
05-25-2009, 06:51 PM
The gov't wants particulate filters they are not going to meet the sticter standards that new vehicals will but they are supposed to cut back on the carbon and soot expelled in the air.

Here is a example of what the enviro nuts don't want to see :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl911P93qUk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDYFq6f-w4

WGLandscape
05-26-2009, 10:54 PM
The gov't wants particulate filters they are not going to meet the sticter standards that new vehicals will but they are supposed to cut back on the carbon and soot expelled in the air.

Here is a example of what the enviro nuts don't want to see :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl911P93qUk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDYFq6f-w4

I like that 2nd video, lots of smoke!!!!!! Thats how it should be!!!

Gravel Rat
05-26-2009, 11:02 PM
The fuel is turned right up on that truck you can hear it has fuel knock it almosts sounds like a 1693 Cat but its not it is a C-15 Cat.

This is a 1693

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1txOHF_QJw

lyube
05-26-2009, 11:14 PM
I would almost think it would be impossible to make older diesels meet any new standards in emissions. Their is a reason they are not made anymore and that was because they couldn't pass the new emissions laws. I liked the old 7.3 and thought it was a great engine but it had to go because of the laws passed. It would be protested for so long they would have a hard time getting it passed. Thanks Obama...................

The 7.3 should have been kept, but the gov't continues to destroy the engines we love because of a religion known as "environmentalism".