PDA

View Full Version : Removing straw

KathysLGC
04-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Did a search but didnt find much. What is the best way to remove straw? It has been on the lawn since sometime last year and its pretty packed in. I am killing myself racking it up. I dont have a dethatcher and I already gave him my price for the job. it looks alot easier than it really is.

LawnLad
04-02-2002, 09:43 PM
After you install a new lawn with straw as the mulch, you let it decompose. You don't rake it up as you'll pull out some of your good grass. Leave it in the lawn. If the lawn is more than a year old and well established, you could verticut or dethatch and pull whatever comes to the surface. But I'd wait 1.5 to 2.0 years before dethatching a newly seeded lawn. One year is often too soon.

rodfather
04-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Gotta agree with Lawnlad...you could do more damage than good.

KathysLGC
04-02-2002, 10:05 PM
ok. The owner wanted the straw removed. It does look like most did decompose. There isnt much of lawn there tho. I told him I should overseed but he says "lets see what it looks like with out the straw"

yardboyltd
04-02-2002, 10:14 PM
Doesn't the straw rob the ground of nitrogen(or some other element?)

rodfather
04-02-2002, 10:17 PM
without the straw, it will probably look worse. with the straw, you would think some repair was done earlier and maybe we will see some improvement. remove the straw, let him see the bare spots. sell him on aerating and seeding. case closed.

MikeLT1Z28
04-02-2002, 11:09 PM
not sure about the straw but hay can harbor weed seeds also.

joshua
04-02-2002, 11:32 PM
remove the straw, thats a givin. use a leaf rake or garden rake. if you use the garden rake don't dig it in the ground just run it almost at a 80 degree angle and it will get all the straw up as well as any of the new grass that died off over winter.
then the home owner will say my lawn has bare spots and you sell him an aeration and seeding pakage with a starter fert. and you doubled the ammount of money you should of made their.

awm
04-03-2002, 09:20 AM
id leave the straw if possible. the new grass will have to go thru some dry ,hot weather,sooner or later . this can help it survive.

KathysLGC
04-03-2002, 09:27 AM
Dont think it needs aerating because its a new construction site and has a new layer of topsoil. As I was walking I was sinking in about an inch. The turf is very soft and not compacted. I think I will get him with need seeding and fert. If I seed wont I have to move the straw tho? Can I just run the mower over it? The little grass thats there is only about half an inch high any way. Looks like I can go 1- 1.5 inches and get everything up.

mdb landscaping
04-03-2002, 09:34 AM
I would just mow over it and chew up the straw. I had a lawn that was completely redone, and there is no way to rake it all up. I just kept mowing it every week, and within two weeks all the straw was chewed up or decomposed into the soil. Unless there is an extremely heavy amount of straw, just mow over it.

kroll
04-03-2002, 09:41 AM
I just done one like this or worse.
It was left over from outdoor festival last fall
in some places the staw (cardboard & plywood) was 6" thick packed.I used a pitch fork to loosen the straw less damage to existing turf. set the mower deck @ 2.5"
high lift blades on bottom gators on top (doubles)
went over it three times in different directions
then brodcast grass seed @ 7 lb per 1000sq ft.
after a rain it looks fine and the new seed will
fill bare spots. 18160 sq.ft.3.25 man hrs.$137.20

wxmn6
04-03-2002, 04:12 PM
Usually I would rake up and take away loose straw and leave the rest to be decomposed after a few mowing.