PDA

View Full Version : Got any creative ways to mount a tire?

zz4guy
05-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I've heard starting fluid method works good. I can't push my tire down enough for it to seal. It's a scag 6.5" tire.

betmr
05-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Use a piece of rope, with a loop at one end. wrap it around the center of the tread and pull tight, while inflating the tire. this should hold the bead against the rim enough to help set the bead.

4.3mudder
05-23-2009, 08:04 PM
yes, starting fluid works around the bead, anything that is flammable that you can light, I don't recommend it because it can be dangerous.

capelawncare.com
05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
both ways work

Breezmister
05-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I've heard starting fluid method works good. I can't push my tire down enough for it to seal. It's a scag 6.5" tire.

I'm guessing that your tire looks like this one ? If you have some time, what I've done in the past is take my bar clamps (2) so that they are pushing out and forced that tire out, let it set over night and then mount it.
You can also try using grease on the rim, it will help seal the tire to the rim, but this way can be messy.
Along with the rope trick, a ratcheting tie down will also work. Unless you have a fire extinguisher near by, I'd stay away from the starting fluid idea

GravelyNut
05-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Put a tube in the tire while off the rim and leave it sit in the sun a couple days. Deflate and remove tube. Install tire.

beano
05-24-2009, 01:12 AM
Ratchet Strapps!

STIHL GUY
05-24-2009, 11:48 PM
the starting fluid way looks really cool on youtube

Breezmister
05-25-2009, 01:26 AM
the starting fluid way looks really cool on youtube

I like cool stuff....And the link is ?????????:hammerhead:

dutch1
05-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm assuming from the replys you've gotten that the problem you're dealing with is getting the bead up on the rim, not getting the tire on the rim. There is a tool available called a Cheetah(cheater) that consists of a 5 gallon tank holding 125 psi with a high volume outlet. It is held close to an opening between the rim and bead, then the air within is released. They aren't cheap, $145, but if you're into a high volume of tires it might be valuable. Personally, I have just about as much success with an unrestricted air gun and 150 psi of pressure. I surround the tire with my left arm and hold the tire against my body, squeeze, then give a blast of air between the rim and bead. If I give the bead a coating of Liquid Film my success is even better as the bead will be forced a little higher on the rim. Your mileage may vary.

Dutch

44DCNF
05-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Is the valve stem core removed as you are trying to seat the bead on the rim?

zz4guy
05-25-2009, 11:39 AM
I tried ratchet straps, soap but after 2 hours of screweing around I decided to try the explosive method.

I sprayed some Carb/Choke cleaner in the tire (about 1 second spray), then made a trail out to the edge and lit it with a torch. It worked great!!! The tire expanded and put itself up on the bead.

My tire was rusty so the strap method was probably hopeless. I did take the stem out before doing this.

No more ratchet straps for me :)