PDA

View Full Version : Estimate for filling in a pool

dlandscaping
05-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Its a 34 x 16' ingound pool with the deep end 10' and the shallow end is maybe 4'. There is a 4' wide concrete walkway around it that is around 5" deep. The fill would have to be dumped 25' from the back yard because a 10 wheeler can not get around the house. There are no permits needed to fill in the pool here. I think that it will take around 160 yds of fill.

I do not really know how to bid this but was told that it is most likely a 5 figure job. Any input is appreciated. The walkway can be dumped into the pool.

tadpole
05-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Be sure that you compromise the bottom of the pool to allow for drainage. I would dump the pool decking into the deep end first. You might also think about removing the top foot or two of the pool sides to allow for future landscaping. Other than the fill, the entire project is labor. Be sure you cover your six.

crazymike
05-23-2009, 09:51 PM
properly setup the bottom of the pool to drain. Or else they will end up with a swamp in their backyard.

You should also remove the liner, etc... because it's probably not biodegradable. Some places you can dump the concrete in the hole, others might not like this.

If you have the right connections you should make a double even triple profit off this job. Someone should be paying you by the load to dump fill/topsoil for the pool. The homeowner should be paying you to remove the pool and re-landscape. And quite often you can dispose of the pump, etc... which will probably fetch you enough money on kijiji to buy your crew lunch for a few days.

5 figures seems a bit steep, but depending on access, equipment, etc... it could be.

sven1277
05-24-2009, 03:21 PM
This job should only take a day to do. Roughly $2000 for fill dirt and the last 6" as topsoil, seed and straw. Remove the liner and cut it up nd put in garbage bags or take to the transfer station. Break the bottom for drainage if you can, but at 4-10' deep, thats a lot of rain to make it soupy. Use a skid with a bucket for the dirt, forks to put the concrete in the deep end. $1500 for labor. Have the dirt delivered before you start the job. 160 yds of dirt can be moved with a skid in about 2 hours if you don't have to travel too far. Sounds like a pretty easy job. Good luck.

Iscrape
05-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I figure it this way. I would charge $1950 for the fill $15/cy, you only actually need about 120cy if you figure the concrete apron going into the hole and 6" of loam on the top. $750 for the machine for the day (skid steer should be able to move all that material no problem in one day). Loam fine grade and seed approx 1200sf 950.00 Total should be about $3650 and more than likely you can get the fill for free or just pay trucking if you look around. You didn't mention if it was a liner or concrete pool, you should take the top off the walls which would be worth a little extra & you should let the customer know that there is a good chance that the soil is going to settle unless you have a good way of compacting it, which again might be worth more, but no way do I see you getting 5 figures for this job.