PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy????????

Grass_Slayer
04-02-2002, 10:43 PM
i was workin for an older lady a couple weeks ago (spring cleanup that needed to be done 2 years ago). she comes outside while im slavin with a shovel cleanin out her ditch, and tells me all about how her medicine that she has to take for her colonoscopy tomorrow makes her throw up all the time. i said im sorry to hear that and try to get back to work but she keeps tellin me bout it. im thinking, "i really dont want to know about this!!" finally she lets me get back to work.

i really dont care that she talks to me all the time cause i got her yard for this season and it pays fairly well. any body else get to hear nice stories like this from ur customers?

KDJ
04-02-2002, 10:48 PM
Be nice, you will get old to. Send her a get well card and see what happens???

Grass_Slayer
04-02-2002, 10:50 PM
i was nice, im always nice to my customers. i always ask her how she is doin and if there is anything special i need to do to her yard, but i didnt want to know about her colonoscopy!

KDJ
04-02-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Grass_Slayer
i was nice, im always nice to my customers. i always ask her how she is doin and if there is anything special i need to do to her yard, but i didnt want to know about her colonoscopy!

I was not suggesting that you are rude to her, just that she needed to talk about it.

I had a case like that, always taking to much of my time. But when we were talking I found out alot about her...Like she plays Bingo every wed at 5:00 pm. Two weeks later I told her I had to move her to a wed at 4:00 hehehe... Now she never has time to talk to me.

Grass_Slayer
04-02-2002, 11:09 PM
thats just wrong man!:D

script
04-02-2002, 11:16 PM
I used to have several customers that did that, and I'd try to be respectful, but I thought it got old. I dropped some and some have passed on. One that I do remember was 84 years old and would tell me about anything from his medicine and doctor visits to his younger days on the river. He was a ship pilot all his life and had many interesting stories to tell. His wife is a year younger than himself and needed care 24 hours a day, from feeding her to bathing her, and he did it all because he did not trust anyone to do it for her. He had cancer and could barely walk, but came out every week when I'd show up to tell me a joke or what his wife did this week. He passed away about 8 months ago and I must say that I do miss him coming out with an ice cold ensure meal replacement drink for me each week. I drank it because it made him feel good that he was giving me something to beat the heat as he would say. His son now pays me to keep up the yard and his wife is in a home, and every week that I'm there I find myself looking to see if he's coming across the yard to see me. I am so sorry for the long post, but for some reason your post got me thinking about my elderly customers. I have realized that I wasn't only their lawn care person, but someone that they looked forward to seeing and talking to each week. I think I'm still feeling the sorrow of Eric passing on this week and am realizing that no matter how small it may seem, those extra minutes that I spent listening to my customers gave them some happiness. Sorry I pushed your post in another direction, but just needed to say it.

Bobby

roscioli
04-02-2002, 11:40 PM
I had a guy like this that I had to drop. Seriously I was stuck there for 30-45 minutes every time I mowed. I put him at the end of the day so it would only screw up my personal time. He was a decent guy, always had a cold Coke ready, but I just couldnt take it anymore, that and it was a "call and cut" situation, told him I couldnt do that anymore, and he got his daughter to do it.

jaybird24
04-02-2002, 11:46 PM
I do a few condominiums with mostly older people living there. I enjoy talking with them- All those years can teach you alot about life. In fact one of the guys I take fishing once or twice a year-we go to an old gravel pit and he picks out rocks to put around his beds. Now the colonostopy thing- I had my mother in- law go into great detail about hers- that I did'nt need.:p

Premo Services
04-02-2002, 11:52 PM
[script] I have realized that I wasn't only their lawn care person, but someone that they looked forward to seeing and talking to each week. I think I'm still feeling the sorrow of Eric passing on this week and am realizing that no matter how small it may seem, those extra minutes that I spent listening to my customers gave them some happiness. Sorry I pushed your post in another direction, but just needed to say it.

While reading your post, it made me think of my eldery customers. I have a few, and one in peticular, the husband was in bad shape with back problems, and alzenheimers. But you know every week on thursday his wife would tell me that he would perk up and say Al is comming lets go outside. When I would get there he would be out by the street waiting(which was pretty far from the house) and tell me what a nice truck and equiptment I had, and we would talk for a while. I didn`t mind, heck was a break for me, and I enjoyed talking to him. He died a year ago, and to this day, every time I go there I still look for him to be out there to talk to me. I also know that I am more than the lawn guy to these people and it makes me feel good. His wife is still there, and I do just about anything she needs to have done, if I can. I have the time its my last stop and would just be sitting in traffic. None of my customers have told me in detail about their medical problems, I don`t think I could deal with that.:eek:

Grass_Slayer
04-03-2002, 12:38 AM
i always love hearing all the older folks stories about the old days. and i love listening to this woman go on about her and her husband and her son and her grandchildren.

her husband has eye trouble, and her youngest son has terminal cancer, but every time i go over there she has a kind word and somethin to tell me about how her yard used to look.

they had thick thick thick!!!! 31 fescue for years, and nothin but it. she also used to have over 250 azalias in a space under 3/4 of an acre!! they just cant work on it anymore so she tells me what she wants and i do it for the lowest price i can.

totallpm
04-03-2002, 02:14 AM
It pays to be nice.

Took two 12 acre retirement communities with 95 units each. The previous guys never stopped to talk and were very impersonable.

We have cut for three years. Send all units a christmas card, a yearly thank you and have sent get well cards from time to time.

The board and new management did not renew the contract this year. I sent a letter to thank the them for the opportunities over the last three years.

Two weeks later I got a call to continue service with a raise. The community was so upset they all signed a petition to have a new board thrown out and the new board fired the property manager.

It was worth the extra effort.

Kevin Total landscaping

bobbygedd
04-03-2002, 02:19 AM
oh bobby, now im all misty. i think from now on ill listen more to the old folks. hey, wait, i think im on to something......counseling fee?

SLS
04-03-2002, 02:26 AM
This thread brings a lump in my throat...especially what script wrote.

I've mowed my grandparents lawn for a few years now. Back in the fall we finally had to move them into an assisted living home. Things really start falling apart once you are pushing 90 years old.

Up until that time when I was mowing their lawn my grandad would come out-his cane in one hand...and an ice cold Coke and a Little Debbie oatmeal cake in the other.

Grandad passed away 3 weeks ago and I mowed their lawn for the first time this season last Thursday. The first time since they moved out and since he died.

I too kept looking up at the driveway...waiting for him to come out to see me...with a Coke and a smile.

Needless to say, my stripes were not as straight as they usually were. Must have had something in my eye......

Treasure the old folks while you can...they don't make 'em like that anymore.

vipermanz
04-03-2002, 04:23 AM
listening never hurts, you either learn something or find out it was a test on you!!

lawn and stump
04-03-2002, 08:21 AM
I had an old lady that asked me to stop by the package store on my way over to get her order. She had a charge acct. there and I picked up a box with 2 half gal of vodca in it . She was about 80 and always wanted me to come in for a beer or two after cutting.

MARYLANDMOWER
04-03-2002, 08:40 AM
I also had an older guy who would talk me ear off every time I came to mow. He was a very interesting and nice gentleman. Always paid cash and never tried to screw me over, unlike some others. After going for a couple of weeks and him not coming out, I stopped in to ask his wife where he was she told me he died of cancer, I didn't even know he had cancer, never talked about that. I often complained about the time I had to spend there talking to him, now I would do anything to be able to have him back as a customer again!!

awm
04-03-2002, 08:49 AM
what u guys are talking about is the reason i set up my buisiness ,targeting the elderly and disabled.
i did lawncare pt time for yrs. always made me kinda feel bad when these folks realised i was in a hurry and didnt have time to listen.hate to see that look in their face. so when things changed for me ,i decided this was where i wanted to be.admittedly not the most money this way.

thartz
04-03-2002, 09:10 AM
I like doing elderly folks lawns just becuse of all the interesting stories you'll hear; most of these people are a walking history book. I had ( to me was really kind of an honor) an account of an elderly couple who I later found out were retired military. He was in the very first Green Beret division of the Army and the very first Native American Colonel in the Army. If my kids ever needed a history lesson this was the place to go.I learned one way to get around the long talks by taking my daughter to sit and chat while I mowed so it worked out great for all people. My daughter got an education they don't teach in schools and I made a little coin and they had someone to talk to. Sorry so long of a post

Ric
04-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by KDJ

I was not suggesting that you are rude to her, just that she needed to talk about it.

I had a case like that, always taking to much of my time. But when we were talking I found out alot about her...Like she plays Bingo every wed at 5:00 pm. Two weeks later I told her I had to move her to a wed at 4:00 hehehe... Now she never has time to talk to me.

Sounds a little IPM. 1.) First You scouted the problem. 2.) Second you planned a course of action. 3.) Final You used a BEST cultural practice to get a favorable response with the least amount of impact on the environment.
4.) Hope I am never in a poker game with you. :D

southside
04-03-2002, 10:37 AM
I don't mind working with older people. What I do mind is hearing
abouttheir latest medical adventures. If someone decides to
tell you all about getting a TV camera up their blooter then you should respond with how you are suffering from tinea and crotch
rot. It usually turns that converstaion off.

:D