PDA

View Full Version : preventing ruts

ronslawncare
04-02-2002, 09:47 PM
i got a 36 inch scag hydro sometimes ill make a tiny tear on the lawn on turns i can just stomp it down it wont be noticeable.how do you guys go about not leaveing ruts in the lawn even the grass gobbler sometimes might tear it up a bit.im going normal speed on turns should i slow down.my blades are sharp i know it from the tires or bagger .i know the scag is a heavy machine is there away to prevent this totally.....

ronslawncare
04-02-2002, 10:20 PM
i guess everyone hear tear there lawns up

script
04-02-2002, 10:26 PM
I try to make wider turns and just be more cautious, but I think sometimes it just happens no matter how careful we are. As far as those ruts that come from a soft ground, I try to switch patterns and directions weekly.

Bobby

joshua
04-02-2002, 10:38 PM
ron. what you said isn't a rut, its whats called "turf tear" when making a turn use a 3 point turn or triangle turn ( both the same). about preventing ruts in a wet lawn. spray it with primo or embark. or another kind of pgr.

ronslawncare
04-02-2002, 10:45 PM
three point turn ,basically never keep one tire completely stoped while turning what about tearing with the grass gobbler same thing.the 3 point turn make sence

jaybird24
04-02-2002, 10:54 PM
It sounds like maybe the grass gobbler is bent and sagging possibly-check that out first.If not I guess just find out what kind of situations make it do this and take extra care around those. About Primo or embark what are they and how do they prevent ruts?

ronslawncare
04-02-2002, 11:12 PM
thats a good point maybe the bottom of the cage is bent .ill have to check that out thanks .

Doc Pete
04-02-2002, 11:37 PM
Ron,
The problem you have is what 99% of hydro mowing operators do. In time, you may learn to truly "zero turn", which ain't easy. However, if you ever decide you don't like the way it leaves customer's lawn, and you start mowing for customers that won't tolorate the "accepted divet city", do yourself a favor and try a Hustler Hydro. True "Zero turns" are normal for a Hustler, and that's using just one hand, too.
I've gotten more new accounts from "neighbor"s of customers that watch me mow, and ask, "can you mow my lawn without leaving marks in it, like my present service?". Naturally, I say yes.:p
Pete

ronslawncare
04-02-2002, 11:45 PM
so its the hydro thats the problem tearing it up if i had a gear drive this wouldnt effect the turf.im confused now

jaybird24
04-03-2002, 12:03 AM
No it's the one tire being stationary and twisting on the grass. As you bring the the inside tire to a stop dont let it stop-reverse it- this gives you a tight turn and keeps both wheels moving- it's a little more difficult with a velke but practice makes perfect. About that gobbler check the bracket and the two posts on the catcher to make sure they arent out of whack- the bottom of the catcher should be even with the bottom of your deck. Hope this helps.:p

Doc Pete
04-03-2002, 12:03 AM
Ron,
The problem is as others have suggested, you can't have one tire stopped and pivot on it with the other tire turning. A true zero turn, is really hard (remember I said hard, not impossible) with anything other than a Hustler. To perform a non marring zero turn, without losing speed you need to slow the machine down for the turn, then continue slowing "just" the tire that will be on the side of the turn, which in turn strarts the turn. Then, while continuing to slow the tire on the inside of the turn, "just as it stops", you need to immediately change direction (reverse) of just that tire. Then, once the machine is pivoted (180 degree direction change) you need to imediately stop both wheels, which means the reversing tire needs to be brought "up" to zero, and the forward turning tire needs to slowed "back" to zero, for just a second, and then you can start the next pass.
As you can see, trying to coordinate "levers" and guessing where "zero speed" is, is not easy. However, the Hustler does all this automatically, because it has no levers, and has spring loaded stops for zero speed, and return to zero from reverse.
Pete

ronslawncare
04-03-2002, 12:16 AM
dam sounds tricky but i will try it out tommorrow and post back here thanx guys...