PDA

View Full Version : Ford problem

KS_Grasscutter
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a 2000 F250 (5.4/2wd). Yesterday the transmission started acting up. The tow/haul light keeps flashing, and the truck won't shift into 3rd 90% of the time. When it does, it shifts extremely hard. Am I going to need a new transmission, or is there any chance it will just take a simple fix? I unfortunately had to drive it about 10 miles back to my shop after it started acting up, hope I didn't cause any extra damage to it...

And, yes, it does have plenty of ATF in it lol.

KS_Grasscutter
05-24-2009, 10:33 PM
No ideas????

tamadrummer
05-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Sound like it is time for a new transmission. You can try having the shop do a full clean up and refill with a filter and see but more than likly you are just tossing money out the window.

$3000 is about what you are looking at for new or $1200 for a rebuilt one.

Mowingman
05-24-2009, 11:20 PM
I think it is a sensor, not the transmission. I had the same problem with one of my older F250 Powerstroke trucks. It turned out to be some kind of sensor. I think it was called a speed sensor, or something like that. Have a good independent transmission shop look at it. not one of those ripoff national chain, transmission shops.

nosparkplugs
05-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Fords are bulletproof:rolleyes:, is it a 4R100 tranny, cause if it is the sprag gear it is a POS design, rebuild it right, that means the whole tranny, get the OEM POS internals out you will never have issues again, don't half ARSE or go "cheap" on a tranny FIX!!!! you will pay now or later. Bunch of tight Arse's on here. These OEM tranny's Ford, GM or Dodge don't matter either all are on the edge of total destruction from DAY ONE tow extra weight, add a chip your tranny is weak or cooking quicker than you might think.

MileHigh
05-25-2009, 02:05 AM
I have a 2000 F250 (5.4/2wd). Yesterday the transmission started acting up. The tow/haul light keeps flashing, and the truck won't shift into 3rd 90% of the time. When it does, it shifts extremely hard. Am I going to need a new transmission, or is there any chance it will just take a simple fix? I unfortunately had to drive it about 10 miles back to my shop after it started acting up, hope I didn't cause any extra damage to it...

And, yes, it does have plenty of ATF in it lol.

If the tow / haul mode light is flashing, It throws a code to the computer.

Take it in to a Ford dealer, have them read the code, and they will tell you what the problem is.

I've heard of tranny's going into "limp mode" after the light flashes...it does this to save the tranny from extensive damage.

AI Inc
05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Its not as big of a problem as it appears. It is either a fuse or a sensor. Get the code read.

Need4racin
05-27-2009, 02:41 AM
pull codes FIRST.

tamadrummer
05-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Fords are bulletproof:rolleyes:, is it a 4R100 tranny, cause if it is the sprag gear it is a POS design, rebuild it right, that means the whole tranny, get the OEM POS internals out you will never have issues again, don't half ARSE or go "cheap" on a tranny FIX!!!! you will pay now or later. Bunch of tight Arse's on here. These OEM tranny's Ford, GM or Dodge don't matter either all are on the edge of total destruction from DAY ONE tow extra weight, add a chip your tranny is weak or cooking quicker than you might think.

Can you go a little deeper here? My transmission is a 4R100 and before I have any issues I would like some information about what you are talking about.

Is there something in specfic like buying a new transmission from some specialty builder or just simply getting a new 4R100 off the shelf from Ford or what? This is very non-specfic.

Thanks man
Brian

Need4racin
05-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Can you go a little deeper here? My transmission is a 4R100 and before I have any issues I would like some information about what you are talking about.

Is there something in specfic like buying a new transmission from some specialty builder or just simply getting a new 4R100 off the shelf from Ford or what? This is very non-specfic.

Thanks man
Brian

4r100 is a fine transmisison. Hes talking out of his ass. Keep the fluid changed ever 30k, a big transmission cooler and it will last a long time.

Marek
05-29-2009, 08:39 AM
right now we are having a new trans put in an 02 7.3 new from the dealer 2200 and 250 to install it. It comes with a 3 yr 100k warranty. Its like getting 2 for one cause I m sure I will get another under warranty before 3 yrs is up.

Mowingman
05-29-2009, 09:55 AM
My Powerstrokes usually got about 125,000 on the first trans. Then, the replacement transmissions were getting at least 200,000 miles. Do not know how much longer the replacements might last, as we never had one go bad. We have always done the service just like the factory service manual recommends.
I had 14 of them, all 1995 - 2001 models. All were towing trailers 75% of the time.

topsites
05-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah, first they ain't bullet proof, second they run like $2-3 thousand rebuild or more!
Any distance driven is taking a chance, putting it in gear even.

So if that were my transmission I would call AAMCO and tell them my problem, they can
then send a tow truck and have my vehicle towed to their shop.
The cost of the tow is deducted from the actual repair IF I decide to let them
fix it AFTER they estimate the damage.
If it's a sensor it's probably a couple of hundred, total.
Otherwise I'm out of a towing bill.

Now that's what I would do.

extremerc76
05-30-2009, 02:24 AM
ford trans's are tuff i would deff get a trans temp gauge and watch it, i use a digital and monitor it all the time when towing

nosparkplugs
05-30-2009, 04:29 AM
:drinkup:I am speaking from experience my 02 Ford F-350 with a 7.3L Powerstroke, and a 4R100 automatic transmission left me stranded on the side of the road at about 42,500 miles. It was a Sprag gear (roller gear). Had it rebuilt heavy duty never another problem with the 4r100 the Powerstroke diesel troubles was another issue.

Think I am talking out of my "ARSE"????? do a search on 4R100 & sprag gears. Too much Ford bulletproof Kool-Aide on Lawnsite:drinkup:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3-trannie-problems/51438-4r100-transmission-problem.html

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-30-2009, 07:14 AM
It's said that flushing a tranny that hasn't had it done routinely is death to a tranny with mileage. That being said, flushing that tranny, torque converter and all - along with filter replacement - is a walk in the park.

nosparkplugs
05-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Depending on the Method of the Transmission flush it can make the problem worse. The normal routine for a quick flush is to use pressure in reverse flow this will clogg the valve body up, and possibly do more harm than just leaving the transmission alone. Many folks with over 100,000 will flush tranny, and then have more trouble's, most flush shops will not flush trannys with over 100,000 miles or make the owner sign a damage or liability waiver FOR A REASON!!

The best method of flush is to disconnect the transmission cooler lines, and either hook the lines up to a passive transmission flush unit one that generates no pressure it uses the torque converter to " self-flush" the system. The other easy method I use is to disconnect the tranny cooler line's and have a drain pan ready start the truck, put in (N) neutral, and allow the transmission to drain it's own fluid. Either methods above is the best way to flush, without causing more troubles. Most transmission shops DO NOT FLUSH???

Investing in a good synthetic transmission fluid is a excellent option to extend tranny life & fluid changes. Transmission's & rear end Diff's are the two fluids most overlooked in all vehicles yet is abused more than engine lubricant for what ATF does.

Another option is to also invest in a Deep dish type transmission pan, this will increase fluid capacity, and keep fluid up to 100 degree's cooler when towing.

It's said that flushing a tranny that hasn't had it done routinely is death to a tranny with mileage. That being said, flushing that tranny, torque converter and all - along with filter replacement - is a walk in the park.