PDA

View Full Version : Weeds in my Bermuda, help

blake101
05-24-2009, 02:23 PM
I have about a 20x20 area in my bermuda grass that has weeds. Here are my plans. I plan on taking my trimmer and take the area down to the soil, rake up the clipping and take the rake and break up the soil about 1 1/2 inches deep. Spread lawn starter fertilizer 18-24-6 and rake it into the soil then spread my grass seed and rake it in also (about 1/4 deep). But will this also help the weeds grow with the grass? Will the grass take over the weeds?What should I do? Should I round up the area first and then seed? What would you do? Trying not to spend a lot of money.

FIRESCOOBY
05-24-2009, 04:02 PM
I have about a 20x20 area in my bermuda grass that has weeds. Here are my plans. I plan on taking my trimmer and take the area down to the soil, rake up the clipping and take the rake and break up the soil about 1 1/2 inches deep. Spread lawn starter fertilizer 18-24-6 and rake it into the soil then spread my grass seed and rake it in also (about 1/4 deep). But will this also help the weeds grow with the grass? Will the grass take over the weeds?What should I do? Should I round up the area first and then seed? What would you do? Trying not to spend a lot of money.

Why not treat the weeds and get rid of them? What weeds are they?

blake101
05-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Why not treat the weeds and get rid of them? What weeds are they?

It is a section 20x20 or maybe a little larger of soild weeds, it has a little bit of everything, if I kill it off how long would it take the bermuda to cover that much ground? Could you give me a idea of what to treat it with? It is located in my front yard, there are two spots that have bermuda and I thought it would spread , but they haven't grown in size in the last two years.

Turf Dawg
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Is this area in full sun? If you have plenty of sun and water it should spread. A 400sq ft area will take alittle while to fill in soild. If you are in full sun you could always kill the weeds and then plug some of your Bermuda into the spot.

blake101
05-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Is this area in full sun? If you have plenty of sun and water it should spread. A 400sq ft area will take alittle while to fill in soild. If you are in full sun you could always kill the weeds and then plug some of your Bermuda into the spot.

I do have full sun. The two spots that I do have bermuda, they are about 10-15 foot round. In the last two years they just seem like they haven't grown. So do you think I would be better off killing the weeds and plugging from my excising yard, or seed it like I was talking about earler and keeping the water on it, with fert?

Turf Dawg
05-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I do have full sun. The two spots that I do have bermuda, they are about 10-15 foot round. In the last two years they just seem like they haven't grown. So do you think I would be better off killing the weeds and plugging from my excising yard, or seed it like I was talking about earler and keeping the water on it, with fert?

I would personsally try weed killer, plugging and even apps of fert and water.

hmartin
05-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Can you post a picture? Do you have any idea why your existing bermuda has never spread? Have you ever had bermuda in this area? Was your lawn sodded when the house was built, or do you have whatever-kind-of-grass-comes-up lawn?

You could spray MSMA on the weedy spot a couple of times about a week apart to kill most all the grassy weeds. You might be surprised to find that you have a little bermuda growing in that area. If you do, water, fert, and frequent mowing will really make your bermuda spread.

Water, frequent low mowing, fertilizer, and MSMA is 90% of all you have to do to have a bermuda lawn in MS.

blake101
05-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Can you post a picture? Do you have any idea why your existing bermuda has never spread? Have you ever had bermuda in this area? Was your lawn sodded when the house was built, or do you have whatever-kind-of-grass-comes-up lawn?

You could spray MSMA on the weedy spot a couple of times about a week apart to kill most all the grassy weeds. You might be surprised to find that you have a little bermuda growing in that area. If you do, water, fert, and frequent mowing will really make your bermuda spread.

Water, frequent low mowing, fertilizer, and MSMA is 90% of all you have to do to have a bermuda lawn in MS.

I can get some pictures tomorrow.
When I purchased the house several years ago it had a picture perfect lawn full of bermuda, the home owner really had it looking good. He left me some weed and feed in the shed and told me to use that on the grass. Well I don't have a green thumb, I used the weed and feed , but most of my front yard died on me, the side and back yard were fine. It has never recovered from it, and that was about 3 years ago. Now I won't my grass back, not the weeds.
Sorry, I have not been the type of person to take care of my yard other than mow it. I do have some questions for you if you don't mind.
1. Frequent low mowing, will that help with the weeds? How often and how low?
2. MSMA, what is this, how do I apply it and how much? Where can I get it? I will read the directions, would just like your opinion.
3. Fertilizer, could you give me a idea as what to use, how much and when to apply(apply it when it is dry or wet or does it matter? I have all the water I need for the lawn, and I do get full sun.

hmartin
05-24-2009, 11:39 PM
If you are interested in learning about lawn maintenance, check out some of the free info at msucares.com.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1322.pdf will answer most of the questions that you will have about your lawn in much more detail than I can give.

Low mowing will help bermuda spread and grow tight. This helps reduce weeds. Unless your lawn is smooth, 1.5" or a little less is probably as low as you can mow. Don't remove more than 1/3 of the leaf, which will mean mowing twice a week after rainfall and during peak growing season.

MSMA is a herbicide that is sold at all farm stores and big box hardware stores. The amount you apply depends on the concentration, so carefully read and follow the label. You might want to go to a Co-op and ask for help finding the right product. You'll need a sprayer. If you don't feel comfortable with spraying herbicides, you may want to call a lawn care company and let them take control.

Fertilizer suggestion are in the above publication. Apply when the grass is dry and water it in or pick a time before rainfall is very likely.

A lot of soils in MS are low in Phosphorous, so a balanced fertilizer like 13-13-13 is a pretty safe bet to get you started.

Don't use weed n feed before your bermuda greens up (mid Apri/May), otherwise you'll just be feeding your weeds.

bigslick7878
05-25-2009, 12:08 AM
If you just scalp the weeds down to the dirt and overseed,the weeds will just grow right back.

You need to spray the weeds in order to eliminate them,you cant just "tear them down" with a trimmer.

blake101
05-25-2009, 10:17 AM
If you just scalp the weeds down to the dirt and overseed,the weeds will just grow right back.

You need to spray the weeds in order to eliminate them,you cant just "tear them down" with a trimmer.

That is what I was afraid of, I was thinking they would come up together and the weeds would over come the grass seed. That was just what I was thinking, as I have have never done this before. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

blake101
05-25-2009, 11:05 AM

Hmartin, thanks for all of your advice, this is what I plan to do, tell me if you think it sounds okay. First I plan on getting on a regular mowing plan, get my grass down to 1 1/2 inches maybe a little lower. I have never done this, I would always wait until the last minute to do it and by then it would be about 8-10 inches high, I know I know I can already hear it. Second, put down some fertilizer, from what I read on the MSU sight, they said a 3-1-2 ratio is good for turf grass. Two weeks after I put down the fertilizer (I figure that would help the grass get strong if I waited that long) I would start spot spraying MSMA on the weeds. Does this sound like a decent plan of action? Thanks for all of your input and help. If this doesn't sound right let me know. Again thanks. Everyone thanks for your input, don't won't to leave anyone out. Any more advice is always welcome...

hmartin
05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
That plan sounds pretty good. The regular mowing will help your lawn alot. Bermuda is very thin when it is 8" long. After you cut the tall thin grass, weeds like crabgrass have a perfect chance to get full sun and grow fast.

You can start spraying the MSMA now. Use it when temps are above 80, when rain isn't likely for 24 to 48 hours, and with surfactant. Dish soap is a ok surfactant if you don't want to spend a few extra buck at the farm store for surfactant. Apply MSMA 3 times at 7-10 day intervals.

If you have broadleaf weeds which are more problematic in Winter and Spring but may be present in your lawn now, buy Ortho Weed B Gone or a similar (trimec style) "weed killer" from Home Depot, Lowes, or your local farm store.

Learn about putting the right amount of fertilizer on your lawn. It is pretty important to not significantly over apply fertilizer.

If you have some spots that are 100% weed, till it up and seed using the instructions from the MSU lawn care bulletin. Now is a good time. Remember that most seeded bermuda varieties will look a little different than sod.

Good luck and happy mowing!

packey
05-26-2009, 07:15 PM
You just explained why your yard died without knowing it. When you let your burmuda lawn get 8-10 inches tall and then cut it to 2 inches you do several things. 1 you hurt the root structure. 2 you stress out the grass 3 you promote weed growth. Bermuda is very simple to keep well. like has been said before get on a regular mowing routine once a week is good. get on a regular fert program 4 times a year. 3-1-2 is a good generall purpose for bermuda lawns as well as most planting beds in the south. Now are for what is the best way to get the weed area back go get round up not msma you want a good general herbacide to kill all that is in the 20x20 area. Then go to the local lawn and garden center and buy a couple of squares of bermuda sod cut into one inch squares use this for plugs in the 20x20 area. do not be afraid of planting the plugs as soon as the weeds dye and are scalped and raked away. when you plant your plugs use a starter fert with a low Nitrogen content. water your plugs in well and keep water on them every day for about 2 weeks. as for the rest of the lawn I think it would help to do a overseed in bermuda as well. If you want to learn more Scotts Fert has a lawn maintenace book with good info you can find it at any better book store and I think I have even seen it at Lowes. Now as far as fertelizers go I am not sold on any one brand just get a decent fert that follows the 3-1-2 formula. I know I have resaid what others have but I hope this helps

Turf Dawg
05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
I still suggest getting your plugs from the healthy bermuda areas because mixed bermuda types can look like crap. The common and the new hybreds have different growth patterns, different color, different leaf structure, ect............

blake101
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
I still suggest getting your plugs from the healthy bermuda areas because mixed bermuda types can look like crap. The common and the new hybreds have different growth patterns, different color, different leaf structure, ect............

Hey Turf Dawg, I believe that is what I am going to do. First I am going to get my weeds under control and then plug the bare spots with what I have growing in the lawn. Trying to keep my cost down.

packey
05-27-2009, 07:32 PM
My only concern with using existing bermuda is the over all health of it. I realy need to see the lawn but if you are going to try and save it you need to put the msma down for your grassy weeds like last week. it is almost to warm in most southern areas. Turn the water on the existing bermuda and if you havent given it a fert treatment put some 21-7-14 down. Let us start by concentrating on getting the existing bermuda healthy first once it is healthy then lets takle the 20x20 area that needs revamped. I think you are the one that wanted to know about getting rid of dandelions 2 - 4 d will work. I think acturally that orthos weed b gone is msma and 2 - 4 d that is alread pre mixed. This however is not what you want when killing of hte 20x 20 area you want roundup or glyotherin {same stuff} Man I hope this helps.

blake101
05-27-2009, 11:53 PM
My only concern with using existing bermuda is the over all health of it. I realy need to see the lawn but if you are going to try and save it you need to put the msma down for your grassy weeds like last week. it is almost to warm in most southern areas. Turn the water on the existing bermuda and if you havent given it a fert treatment put some 21-7-14 down. Let us start by concentrating on getting the existing bermuda healthy first once it is healthy then lets takle the 20x20 area that needs revamped. I think you are the one that wanted to know about getting rid of dandelions 2 - 4 d will work. I think acturally that orthos weed b gone is msma and 2 - 4 d that is alread pre mixed. This however is not what you want when killing of hte 20x 20 area you want roundup or glyotherin {same stuff} Man I hope this helps.

Hey packey, just put down my fertilizer today, 15-5-10. I was going to wait about two weeks before I started on the weeds. I figure this would give the grass a chance to get a little healthy-er. (sp)

packey
05-28-2009, 07:49 PM
I know it has been wet but give it a good watering in. Let us know how things progress

blake101
05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I sure will, need to take pictures.

blake101
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Okay. I sprayed MSMA on part of my lawn yesterday, I will keep everyone updated.