PDA

View Full Version : Best machine for sod installs

Classified
05-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I may have an oppertunity to get into new lawn installs. I am just renting a skid for now and using a harley rake to till everything and level the ground. Then I would just lay small sod.

My question is, if you bought a machine that was used say 90% of the time for lawn tilling, grading, and isntalling, what machine would you want?

The only option I see are a wheeled skid, a tracked skid, or a tractor. I would think a tractor would be ideal since it would have less ground psi and it steers instead of skids so it wont tear up the grade.

I also see a tractor being more usefull beause I can use tow attachments like a aerator abd PTO driven attachements istead of having to buy all hydro drive attachments or attachments with power units built on.

But them again a skid steer could be more usefull because it requires less space to manuver. Most lawns will be in the 4000-10000 sq foot range with hopes to get some larger ones later on. I am thinking of reshaping my business and getting out of weekly maintenance.

Let me know what you think.

AGLA
05-24-2009, 08:16 PM
The problem with the tractor is maneuvering and getting into smaller spaces. I used one out west for a landscaper and hated every minute of it.

Classified
05-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah thats the main drawback i see with the tractor. For small stuff the tractor would be real tough to manuver.

Thats why I am curious to see what you all think and what others use.

Summit L & D
05-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Bobcat S220 or equivalent. You'll have enough lifting capacity to actually move the sod around and still be able to get into the harder to access yards.

Swampy
05-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Its a horse a piece between a skid and tractor. A skid is better for small area's but for what you want to do a tractor will run a harley rake or a preseeder a better job then a skid will ever do. But a skid will have more break out force and higher lift capacity than a tractor will. In my eyes its better to just run both instead of one or the other, go with a 40ish horse tractor and a larger skid like a New Holland 180. Both will service you well.

AGLA
05-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Also remember that you have a long distance from the bucket to end of a tractor (or rear attachment and bucket), so it is very hard to grade or rake on a lot of smaller sites.