PDA

View Full Version : A question for mechanics/ Truck guys

STIHL GUY
05-24-2009, 11:23 PM
I have a family member that owns an 1989 F250 pickup with 77,000 miles on the original engine. For the past couple of years it has been sitting out in his field not running. He said the head gasket is leaking and probably needs to be replaced, the brakes are shot but it may just be the brake lines, it needs new ball joints and a battery.
I have a friend who is a mechanic who offered to help me fix it up and said we could get parts from the junkyard. my dad doesnt want me to do this because he thinks i will end up putting too much money into it if other things start to break.
This is a really nice truck in pretty good shape and i really want to fix it up but i dont want it to be a total waste of money. Does anybody have an idea of how much the above listed parts would be for just the parts because my friend and i will be putting them in ourselves?? and is there a good chance of having major problems because of the trucks age?

And by the way my family member offered the truck to me for free and doesnt think it would be too hard to fix it up

Restrorob
05-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Hmmm,

Engine top-end gasket kit, NEW brake lines and NEW ball joints maybe 3-4 hundred. If the truck is being given to you can you buy a drivable truck in the same condition for 3-4 hundred ?

By today's standards 77,000 miles is just getting broke in good.....

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 12:11 AM
it seems like a good deal to me and i have the cash but my dad doesnt want another car in the driveway. He doesnt want me wasting money trying to keep it running but he admitted himself that its a really cool truck and he likes it too. Im trying my best to convince him

4.3mudder
05-25-2009, 12:32 AM
By today's standards 77,000 miles is just getting broke in good.....

LOL, not a FORD!! It would be plum wore out. lol just kidding

Vehicles hurt worst when they are not being driven rather than being driven. Seals dry up, dry rotting occurs, just my perspective.

Your dad may be right, another vehicle to add to the gas and insurance bill.

But, if you don't have a vehicle right now that is capable of suiting your needs, this might be your best shot at a cheap vehicle.

Just remember this, whenever there comes a problem with that truck, it is circled on the front grill. :laugh:

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 12:43 AM
right now i have a ranger but i just thought it would be a good deal on a bigger truck and it wont cost a fortune

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 12:45 AM
and if it gets to be too expensive i could always put it on craigslist for a few hundred and break even. i have a ton of friends that want this truck for 4 wheeling and mudding so any one of them would buy it in a heart beat

4.3mudder
05-25-2009, 12:45 AM
It would make a great towing truck I would say that, maybe if you get this truck, get it going, and sell the ranger. Trade up, or actually upgrade.

4.3mudder
05-25-2009, 12:47 AM
That's the older body style too.

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 01:14 AM
my dad would probably want to keep the ranger in case the F250 didnt work out. I am fine with selling it as long as i get the 250 running good. We also have a 18' bowrider and a pop up that the ranger does fine with but would be a lot easier with the 250. not to mention the amount of brush and leaves for cleanups i could fit in there. yes it is the older body style i love the way those look

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 01:16 AM
the 250 would deffinitly handle a plow well and that would help to pay it off as well

P.Services
05-25-2009, 01:18 AM
your dads right dont argue with him child.

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
your dads right dont argue with him child.

i know i shouldnt but it just seems like a good idea to me. He never wanted me to get a backpack blower back when i got mine. after a year and a half of him trying to convince me against we went and i payed for my new BP blower in cash. When we got it home he couldnt stop using it and was so glad i made the purchase. Last year he didnt want me to spend $1800 on my mower but after the summer i payed off for it more thant a couple times. my business is growing and a biger truck that i could letter would be nice

P.Services
05-25-2009, 01:31 AM
on all the other things i agree with you, but i made the mistake your about to once upon a time and i regret it almost every day because now i have to much invested to turn back.

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 01:39 AM
i see what you are saying and i truly do appreciate your advise but the truck itself is free and it needs a couple hundred dollars worth of parts that my friend and i will be putting in. I was going to set a limit and not spend over that. i know its old but i see a ton of old Fords around town and a lot of them are late 80's and early 90's with tons of miles and still running strong. My other uncle got 250,000 miles out of the same truck

P.Services
05-25-2009, 01:53 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhh you are gone theirs no saving you, you have sold yourself and you are going to do it no matter what you just want a few people to back you up to make you feel better about your stupid decision. talk to me after the head gasket when half the studs break off in the block and the valves all need to be ground because it has no compression and then four plugs break off in the heads! its gona happen i know.

Wizz
05-25-2009, 04:31 AM
I've worked on cars/race cars for 15 years now and have been down this road before. Brake lines are either good or bad...bad meaning completely ruptured, the lines are probably fine (you can tell with a visual inspection and pumping the pedal with fluid in the system). You're probably looking at a new master cylinder, new pads/shoes, turning the rotors, and bleeding the brakes...about $200-250 on the brakes if you do it yourself using remanufactured parts. When doing the headgasket it will cost ~$110 in gaskets on that motor (head, intake, valve cover, and cooling/thermostat gaskets are needed), you will also need brand new head bolts as the factory uses torque to yield bolts that can only be used once reliably ~$50-60 for factory bolts, also make sure your friend has a good torque wrench and torques the head bolts in sequence...very important...also use 30wt motor oil on the head bolt threads to get accurate torque readings...if any of the head bolts go into water jackets as they do on many Ford engines of that era then use RTV silicone on the threads for those bolts. Also make sure your friend knows how to adjust the valves properly when reinstalling the heads, you'll need to find out the required lash adjustment for that motor...they need to be adjusted/measured properly or you'll start bending pushrods, or worse. Then you'll need to flush/fill the cooling sytem when doing a headgasket swap...$20 in coolant. An oil/filter change is a must as you'll have coolant in the crankcase from removing the heads. If the truck ran fine before hand and you have ~$500 to spend then you can get it going...most important is to know the history of the truck up until the moment it sat outside before you decide. Best of luck on your decision.

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
thanks for all the help. as of right now im not going to take the truck. i guess ill see what happens down the road

4.3mudder
05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
thanks for all the help. as of right now im not going to take the truck. i guess ill see what happens down the road

LOL, what changed your mind?

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
my parents dont think its a good idea and i dont wanna fight. i guess ill wait and maybe a better deal will pop up

4.3mudder
05-25-2009, 10:51 PM
The parents know everything, trust me. They know what is best. Teenagers THINK they know everything, because I was one of them.

I think there was a song that can relate to a lot of teens

Montgomery Gentry- Back when I knew it all.

P.Services
05-25-2009, 11:10 PM
my parents dont think its a good idea and i dont wanna fight. i guess ill wait and maybe a better deal will pop up

dont worry man its because somethin better is coming your way.

STIHL GUY
05-25-2009, 11:12 PM
thanks for the help guys