PDA

View Full Version : Weeping Tile - Interlock

markethound80
05-25-2009, 12:48 AM
I am having my interlock done front and back. The contracter put weeping tile on 2 downspouts. 2 at the back and 2 at the side of the garage. I tested all of them by running the house through and the 2 at the back are fine however, the 2 in the front are not good. They are right beside each other and he put an "elbow" (2 in 1 out)to connect the two. Problem is that the elbow is basically right against my foundation and when water goes thorugh it leaks at the elbow creating a backlog of water. This looks like a recipe for disaster. Should he be placing the elbow beside the foundation our further away from the house. I disconnected it but want him to come fix it and would like to be better informed.

markethound80
05-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Sorry, Its not an elbow..it's actually a "T" to connect 2 weepers to go into one which would then run to my grass.

Bru75
05-25-2009, 09:59 AM
It probably should be a "Y" instead of a "T". The "Y" will keep thing moving in the right direction. Sounds like the pipe that comes out of your T may not have enough slope. Disconnect the T and put your hose in that pipe to see if it will drain from there. If not, the water is backing up into the connection and causing your problem.
I actually repaired a drain for a customer once and found that the original installer had placed the Y backwards so that the first drain ran INTO the other instead of the outlet pipe. Good idea to check on this yourself, a lot of people assume things like this are correct and are surprised with the first big rain.

markethound80
05-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks Bru. I have a feeling it is actually a few things. One is he should have used a "Y" and not a T. Two, I don't think there is enough slope on the pipe going towards my grass. Three, he should not have placed the "t" close to the foundation. I went out and bought a "Y" and connected it and the issue was similar. There was leakage coming from the "Y". How do you prevent any leakage whatsoever out of the "Y". Is there some sort of tape that u could use? Like I said in my previous post, he should probably place the "Y" further down the slope near the grass. That way if there is a little leakage it won't have any effect on my foundation.

Bru75
05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
You could tape them and it will help at least for a while, but it sounds like the main problem is not enough slope in the pipe, or a hump along the line somewhere.
Good luck with it.

richallseasons
05-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I think that you would be wise to have a conversation with your contractor first, and discuss your concerns directly with him.

Bru75
05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
I think that you would be wise to have a conversation with your contractor first, and discuss your concerns directly with him.

Couldn't hurt, it is his mess after all.