PDA

View Full Version : Trailers

toroboy
04-02-2002, 11:11 PM
I was wondering what trailers u guys use, becasue i was thinking of buying one so i could expand my lawn service, right now im 16 and will be driving soon so i was wondering what kind of trailier i should get . THANKS!!!! :cool:

trimmer
04-02-2002, 11:26 PM
I don't know what kind of equipment you will be hauling on it.

I started with a 5x12 and someone ran into it so I got a 6x16 dual axle. The 5x12 was plenty big for me fit everything just right, sometimes I wish I still had it because it was smaller and lighter. The 6x16 has allowed me room to grow.

jaybird24
04-02-2002, 11:29 PM
How much equipment will you need to fit on there? Weight? Answer those first. I know when I first started I bought a 6'6"x12' trailer which was great for two mowers- the next year I needed a third mower and had to get a 16'. Also for me I like open trailers so I can put brush and grass clippings on there. Theres probably a thread if you do a search. Good luck

SCAPEASAURUSREX
04-03-2002, 07:10 AM
What will you be pulling it with ?? Do you have a large garge you could park an open trialer in ?? or would you have to keep it out side all the time.. If outside all the time, go for an enclosed, it will protect the equip from the elements .... Size all depends on what equip you have, or plan to have, if you are planning on growth then get a size you can grow into... I would reccomend at least a 7 x 14 at minimum... 7 x 16 or 8 x 16 is a good size for a busy company... Over that gets alittle combersome, unless you need the room for some massive equipment...

wxmn6
04-03-2002, 03:06 PM
It will depend on what equipment you will need to put on. Also what truck are you going to be pulling with? If you are going to carry one or two riding mower(s), then 6 1/2' by 12' trailer would be a good one to start with.

stslawncare
04-05-2002, 04:47 PM
get the biggest u can afford, get a little bigger then what u think is the most u will EVER use, so if u can fit all ur equip u will get in the future on a 6x16, get a 6x16. also bigger the easier to backup with.

BRIMOW525
04-05-2002, 06:30 PM
I started out with a 6x12 and quickly out-grew it and was opting for a 16ft but the salesman talked me into a 6x18 with taller gate and spring load to boot for $250 more. I haul 2 riders and have plenty of room. Yea its long for backing up and turning but its great when I have a tractor to haul witha bush hog. It also came with heavier made wheel fenders and a better frame. Plus steel around the tail lights so they don't break. Most guys around here start with 12 or 16's but eventually get 18-22fters. Better have a 3/4 ton truck to haul it.

Doogiegh
04-05-2002, 06:47 PM
I'm just starting out on this, and I'm on a 4' by 8' trailer. It's enough to fit the 32 or 36" walk behind I'm going to be purchasing, my trimmer, edger, 21" walk behind mower, gas cans and water cooler. Being I'm a one man operation, I don't need a trimmer rack to store 3 trimmers, edgers, etc etc.

And i'm pulling this trailer with a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab, 6.5' bed.. So any clippings, cans, debris etc I can stick in the bed of the truck, fine and dandy.

I'll get into the bigger trailers eventually, but if the original post was from a 16 year old, just starting out, I can't see the need for a 7' by 14' trailer, especially with a "new" driver, unless he's going to be pulling around 2 60" dixie choppers, a 48" wb and a 32" Wb all at once with a 3 person crew....

GH

Krimick
04-05-2002, 07:07 PM
You have to consider how big you want your company to be. I started with a 6' x 12' and it only last my 1st year before I upgraded to a 6' 6" x 20" . I'm in my 4th year now and I'm considering moving up in size agian....possibly to an enclosed trailer.

Just make sure to plan ahead, if you think 2 years from now your going to need a trailer that can carry 3 riders, then make sure you go to the larger size first and save yourself the money of buying multiple trailers .......cause I can tell you my backyard is starting to get crowded :)

Darryl G
04-05-2002, 07:46 PM
I am also shopping for a trailer and just found mine today. They custom make them on-site here in CT. I'm getting a single axel 6 x12 with single axel, 14" wheels, 2" PT floor, ramp gate, 3,500 lb gross, diamond plate fenders for $1,300. All their trailers are tubular steel construction. Real solid looking. This is only $100 more than a 5x10 Big Tex at another dealer. I also talked to him about making up a dump trailer with ramps. I'll be able to use it for material and to haul my landscape tractor. No matter how I look at it, I can't see hauling a 48 WB on a 4 to 6 ton trailer, so for my situtation I'm getting 2.

If anyone is interested, their name is A & R trailer, web address is metalconnection.net. I haven't checked out their site yet. Phone is 860-664-1000. They were recommended by my local Exmark dealer.