PDA

View Full Version : Grass seed not growing?

jhakarter
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey all, I have a client who I did some work for. The city tore up his BLVD, and didnt level it off real well. So this spring I brought in some black dirt and leveled off the low areas on the BLVD. He said he would take care of seeding the BLVD. Now, about a month after he laid the seed down, still nothing is growing. I do not know what type of seed he got etc etc. However, he did saw he fertilized when he put the seed down, before it germinated. I do not know all the worlds problems dealing with grass seed, but does anyone have any ideas as to why the seed may not be growing? We have had enough rain and sun, that there is no reason I see why it shouldnt be growing. Any help is great. Thanks
Josh

WETSCAPE
05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Like you say who knows about the seed quality or overfertilized birds, washouts etc. I would go back to bare dirt (not the dirt you get in a bag if you add any). Reseed with a good quality seed. Add some seed starter and put some chopped hay down. Keep it moist (try to not let it go dry). You should see sprouts in a week! As it starts to grow I remove some of the hay myself some people just let it break down.

bigslick7878
05-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I would put my money on he used Scotts Turf Builder with Halts Crabgrass preventer,which also prevents seed from germinating.

Only logical explanation.

Smallaxe
05-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I would put my money on he used Scotts Turf Builder with Halts Crabgrass preventer,which also prevents seed from germinating.

Only logical explanation.

:laugh: Good thought...

Could be tempurature, seed soaking then drying, Salt, stone etc. Maybe it was never put in at the proper depth and it will take several major rain events to get it at the proper depth and soil contact.