PDA

View Full Version : Should my Kohler use this much oil?

ericmcj31
05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I have a Ferris 60 (or maybe 61'') 30HP Kohler Z and between oil changes (roughly every 50 hours), it uses about a quart of oil. I asked my dealer and he said it was pretty normal for a machine to use a little oil and to not be worried. I just thought I'd get another opinion (you guys-lol). The mower has about 500 hours on it, I service it roughly every 50 hours. The air filter is kept clean as well. The mower 2 years old last month-I generally sell my mowers at 2-year intervals to keep it under warranty, but due to economic conditions, I cannot afford to do that this year--so I may be asking more questions-lol;

MowerMedic77
05-25-2009, 05:25 PM
I have a Ferris 60 (or maybe 61'') 30HP Kohler Z and between oil changes (roughly every 50 hours), it uses about a quart of oil. I asked my dealer and he said it was pretty normal for a machine to use a little oil and to not be worried.

Your dealer is a FOOL!!! he thinks that almost half of the engines entire oil volume will be burned off every 50hrs or so and that's normal :hammerhead:

Not knowing your exact Kohler model and spec :confused: I would say to check for a bad breather reed valve. I just had a Kohler on a LazerZ that would go through almost a full qrt. in 8hrs.

ericmcj31
05-25-2009, 05:29 PM
ok, just as I suspected...thanks; and where abouts would I find this breather reed valve???

ericmcj31
05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
apparently from what I can gather it is a ch750

ericmcj31
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I just downloaded the manual and located it and it said to be suspicious of the RBV if excessive oil use-so thanks! I'll double check on that tomorrow-

ericmcj31
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM
roughly how much do one of those RBV's cost?? anyone know??

MowerMedic77
05-25-2009, 06:37 PM
roughly how much do one of those RBV's cost?? anyone know??

If you plan on doing this job yourself I would plan on getting a couple of extra parts so that your only doing this job once.

1. Reed valve(24 402 03-S) list $1.10
2. Breather Gasket(24 041 64-S) list $5.72
3. Breather Filter(24 050 11-S) list $1.05

ericmcj31
05-25-2009, 07:05 PM
HA-I burned this much in oil this week! lol; thanks--would you say it's a repair for a NooB like myself (in the mechanic's dept.)?? or should I leave this one up to my trusty dealer??

MowerMedic77
05-25-2009, 07:27 PM
would you say it's a repair for a NooB like myself (in the mechanic's dept.)?? or should I leave this one up to my trusty dealer??

I'm a little worried about your dealer:dizzy:but I would say you may want to leave this one for someone with more mechanical experience. But I never discourage people from trying their own repairs........ thats probably because I charge more for finishing jobs that I didn't start:laugh:

ricky86
05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
IS3000/IS3100 use a CV. Big difference in amount of work involved to replace something you don't even know if it's bad. Are you getting any oil up in the intake tract? Before you do anything involved, may I suggest you just change you brand of oil? See if you can find Kohler 10W-30. All oil is far from the same. DONT USE ANY ADDITIVES. And your dealer may very well be a fool. But not on his advice about this subject. You want to pay about 3 hrs labor for inspection? Variables are endless on this issue.

ericmcj31
05-25-2009, 07:36 PM
thanks for the kind words, guys; in fact, I have used the kohler oil for the entire life of this machine. I recently (as in the last couple months) switched to a synthethic blend (Schaeffer I believe is its name). He said that should solve my problems. FWIW I don't think I stressed tohim exactly how much oil it is using. I just happened to check it the other day and it wasn't even registering! This mower is like a month out of warranty, so I would think I would get some type of service from Ferris/mydealer/Kohler out of this if the engine is blown/bad??? I will take it to him tomorrow or Weds. and let him check it out...thanks again and I'll keep you guys updated.

RonAyersMotorsports
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
First of all if your blowing your filters out with air compressors STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will cause filter damage and allow dust to pass through filters and cause dirt ingestion resulting in ring wear and oil consumption. All to often do I see this and get guys complaining of oil consumption, I wonder Why?!? Duh!!!!

ericmcj31
05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
thanks for the info. but I actually kinda 'bang' them on like the ROPS (gently) to loosen any dirt/debris and then eventually replace them-no blowing out w/ air compressor