PDA

View Full Version : help-newbie and old school replacing driveway

edmonton01
05-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm replacing an asphalt driveway with concrete with my neighbor's help. I've included a picture of the driveway. So far we've removed the old material and excavated the area. The "problem" begins with the subbase. I'm thinking we need a 3-4" compacted gravel subbase; my neighbor says the hardpan is compacted enough and being in Seattle area, the ground doesn't shift enough to warrant the cost of a subbase. I'm also thinking about a 4" 5.5 - 6 sack cement mixture with 1/2 " rebar but it was suggested to use the fiber cement mix instead. Also heard the fiber mix can irritate skin if walked on (or working under the truck) My neighbor is a great guy, but old school when it comes to projects. Am I on the right track or over doing it? I would appreciate some input from you seasoned guys.

Bru75
05-25-2009, 05:19 PM
For the gravel base I think the cost will be well worth it in the long run. The ground looks packed, but the only way to be sure you have a good base is to put in the gravel.
Concrete is rigid, and any amount of settlement will eventually cause a crack.
Wasn't there some type of gravel base under the asphalt?

edmonton01
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
No, there was not a gravel base under the asphalt. I think it was put in around 1962 when the house was built. Would a 2" gravel subbase suffice, or should it be more?

Bru75
05-25-2009, 09:15 PM
No, there was not a gravel base under the asphalt. I think it was put in around 1962 when the house was built. Would a 2" gravel subbase suffice, or should it be more?

If it were mine I'd feel better with at least a 4" base.