PDA

View Full Version : John Deere LX176 Running problems

Spiritandtruth
05-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Bought a John Deere LX176 about 2.5 years ago. Drive belt broke and was too much trouble. I already own a big Gravely so I just didn't have time to put on that belt therefore the Deere sat in my barn for a year plus.

Finally got it out and put on the drive belt ( big pain in the butt ) but now it wont run.

On top of the engine it says:

John Deere K series 14 hp.

On a decal on the side of the engine it says:

FC 420V-DS10
E/No FC420VB50357
Kawasaki

Ok so far I've dumped out all old gas out of the tank ( when I replaced belt ).

I also took the carburetor completely off....removed the bowl and sprayed carb cleaner all over everything. Everything looked good and clean and I noticed nothing terribly significant when I cleaned it.

Put everything back together and at first it would only turn over. I poured some gas directly into the carb and it started then quit. I did it again and it started then quit. So it would start then quit. Finally, it began running a little but not full throttle. I have the lever on choke and it will run while it's in choke mode but when I move it down it wants to die out.

So now I will start it and it will run and I even drove it in a couple of circles around the yard....but then it putters out on me. I'll start it and it will run for 30 seconds to a minute. Then it might not start back for a couple of tries but then it will start and run for a minute or so then ultimately just stop.

Doesn't seem to be getting up to full power. I tried to engage the blades once and it just immediately dies.

Ok, so my question is.....does it most likely need the carb rebuilt? What is that thing in the bowl...is that what people call the "float?" It looks fine but do they just begin not to function correctly over time? Do the little springs wear out? Cause everything looks fine to me.

I'm very puzzled so any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. It's a waste to allow this thing to sit. It's a nice tractor but I bought it used and two of the belts broke not long after and I probably haven't used it 6 or 7 times since I bought the thing.

If you think I need a rebuild kit for the carburetor where do I buy it at? Only the John Deere dealership or can it be had cheaper elsewhere.

I'm a poor boy these days and can't really afford to have John Deere fix it so I appeal to you guys for help.

Thanks a ton in advance.

blessings,
Ken

VT_Grassman
05-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Any engine that won't run or won't run well without the choke has something wrong with the carburetor. Usually it is dirty - and you can't always see it. In the "old days" gas used to evaporate and leave green varnish. The new gas is more likely to leave a white, powdery deposit or some black stuff. Jets have such small openings that they can be partially restricted and you may not know it. Spraying carb cleaner "everywhere" may not have cleaned what needed cleaning and I am pretty sure you still have one or more plugged jets/passages.
Not sure what is in a "carb rebuild kit" these days but you can save yourself some money and just get the individual pieces you need - IMO.

I would start with another disassembly but this time use compressed air to blow out all passages and jets. If you aren't sure about this find someone to help you. You will need to remove the float and needle assy before using the air as well as removing any jets that you can.
Second choice would be to soak the carb in cleaner followed by blowing everything out. They sell buckets for less than $15 at auto parts stores. (They look like a gallon paint can.) This will require partial disassembly of the carb since some plastic and gaskets may be harmed by the cleaning solution - you don't want to just dump the whole assembled carb in the solution.
After everything is clean, the float level will need to be set/checked. Again, if you aren't sure about this get some help.

Any carb that has sat for more than 6 months these days will likely need cleaning.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out!