PDA

View Full Version : market news, anyone?

Mike M
05-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Do you know of any manu, distrib, or design-build lighting companies that have closed, sold, or merged with another company? And I am curious as to whatever happened with Nightscaping.

I would be equally curious to see mention of any new businesses.

I just saw someone advertise their lighting biz for sale just south of my region.

I want to know if things are tough all over, or just in my locale.

Thanks,

Mike

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-25-2009, 11:39 PM
I know that Cooper just bought up IMS, the manu. of the Synergy LED lamp that Ushio claims as their own.

I know that Nightscaping is alive. They returned to production in April after a 4 week hiatus in March. They are slowly working at restructuring their operations.

As for market conditions, well things are pretty good here. It all depends on your location though. I know many other areas that are struggling. It seems to me the further South you travel the harder things are. Not sure why that is.

TXNSLighting
05-26-2009, 12:42 AM
I keep an eye on the competition and it seems everyones is a float. This year has sucked so bad for me so far, but im hoping to just make it through this year. Hopefully ill get some installs in the ground.

Mike M
05-26-2009, 12:50 AM
Good, about the north thing. As I happen to be going as far north as the walruses.

It seems to be getting pandemic, but at least you shouldn't get caught not standing flat on your feet.

After returning from AK, I just had a wealthy client in a beachfront resort community tell me she finally sold off enough junk around her house to buy more lighting for her property. That cracked me up. She sold her draperies and bedding at a big yard sale sponsored by the local public high school. It was something she never did before and she thought it was cool. Made me proud of how she values my work.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Good news Mike! Now make sure you turn her satisfaction with your services into a few new jobs. You need to practise the xerox sales technique of asking her for 3 names and numbers of friends or family who would be interested and eligible for a custom lighting system like hers. It sounds pushy on the front side, but it is a proven technique to gain sales, and when done between an established client and a trusted contractor, it usually works.

Mike M
05-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I agree. This couple referred me to two more clients. I like how the lighting becomes addicting and contagious, and the return for add-on zones.

This is one of the reasons why I want to do interior work. When we run out of zones outside, I can work inside. :)