PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the elec clutch?

Ramairfreak98ss
05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
im sure theyre all almost identical, i took 3 nuts off of 3 bolts,and the main engine shaft bolt/washer but its still stuck on, cant pry it off with a small prybar either... what do i need to do?

DT Lawn Care
05-25-2009, 11:38 PM
You need a gear puller. It has 2 or 3 arms that go around the pulley, then you tighten down the long bolt in the middle, and it pries it right off. GL

dutch1
05-26-2009, 10:23 PM
A three jaw puller will surely work although I've never had to resort to one. Secure a longer bolt than the clutch bolt, similarly threaded, that will bottom out in the crankshaft. Most of the time a few raps with a large hammer will let it drop off. On one that is a little more reluctant to drop off, I apply a little leverage with a bar and use an impact hammer on the bolt head. Be sure you release belt tension and unhook wiring harness beforehand.

Dutch

Ramairfreak98ss
05-27-2009, 12:43 AM
You need a gear puller. It has 2 or 3 arms that go around the pulley, then you tighten down the long bolt in the middle, and it pries it right off. GL

thanks DT,, after looking at it, i assumed youd need some sort of puller, we have a bunch of stuff that may work, but nothin exactly like that, ill have to go buy one then :/ Might be able to fix the wire that ripped out instead of buying a whole new clutch.

DT Lawn Care
05-27-2009, 01:57 AM
If it is a fairly low hour machine, you probably wouldn't need a gear puller to get it off, because it shouldn't be rusted on yet. But if you tried a pry bar and the whole nine yards, you're probably going to need a gear puller (if you can't fix the wiring). I also learned this the hard way :waving: from a guy that works on small engines quite a bit. My regular pulley (not electric) was totally rusted on and without a gear puller, there was absolutely no way that guy was coming off. I was switching it with an engine that had an electric pto already on it, and that one came off very easily. So maybe it just depends.

GL :)