PDA

View Full Version : What Edgers?

Soupy
04-03-2002, 04:10 AM
I was wondering what brand/kind of Edger you guys use? I Use light weight 2cycle push Edger and was wondering what is the best tool for the Job?

Thanks,
Soupy

BGRANT
04-03-2002, 12:50 PM
I use a Mclane w/4 h.p motor.I really like it if it doesn't start by the second pull you got a lemon. :blob4:

Runner
04-03-2002, 04:01 PM
That's the same thing I have here. The McClanes are hard to beat. I also have the Stihl FC85 Straight shaft stick edger. It is handy, quick to grab and all that, but is much more labor intensified than the push edger. I I had a large coomercial with alot of walk to do, I'd take the push edger over the stick anyday. And yes, you can go just as fast with a push edger than you can with a stick, as well.

jaybird24
04-03-2002, 04:35 PM
I use a Tanaka push edger for probably 90% of my stuff. The only time I use the stick edger is for curbs where the grass is uneven and higher than the blade will reach well. Push edgers are faster i think but there are times when the stick is needed.

Turf Technologies
04-03-2002, 04:52 PM
How do you edge beds in the yeard with a push edger?I use a Lesco stick edger cume up the road and drive then go around the house and come back down drive and raod and im done.Dont see how a push edger can edge yard beds?Unless you use your trimmer, which i dont hink does as good a job on most beds.

goodbeus
04-03-2002, 09:02 PM
oh, another debate about so-so is faster with their push edger than with a stick edger....I put this theory to the test a few years ago...me and a buddy did 2 lawns together that we're side by side and they we're the exact same thing....he grabbed the push edger, I grabbed the stick edger....I edged the sidewalks, road curb, driveway and flower beds in a little over 5 minutes....his time was 17 minutes and he was fast with that thing...maybe different in other parts of the country with different types of grass, I just know what works in my area, Which is Florida...

mdb landscaping
04-03-2002, 09:32 PM
i use an echo srm2400sb split shaft with the echo edger head. Works great and i can edge a bed in no time. Best tool ive bought in a while.

crs
04-03-2002, 10:36 PM
I use a big 14" diameter coulter blade attached to an arm on the side of my Hustler. You can put it down and cruise along at 7-8 miles an hour:blob3:

totallpm
04-04-2002, 01:07 AM
We sold all of our push edgers. To much time to unload and to slow. Can't beat the speed and dependability of a stihl fc85. Once you use one youll never go back.

Kevin Total Landscaping:blob3:

Soupy
04-04-2002, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the replys. I posted this Thread because I'm thinking about posting an Echo stick edger. Now that I have made up my mind. Any recommendations on Model #?

Soupy

LAWnENFORCER
04-04-2002, 05:35 AM
I recently purchased an Echo PE 2400 stick edger. It works great for me. Most of the grass in TX is St. Aug. I really wanted the PE 3100, but it was a little pricey. I got mine from yardgeek.com. I saved about $20 including shipping charges, compared to my local dealer.

PS The salesman at yardgeek told me that the he would not reccomend PE 2000 even for light use. Something about a clutch.

Hope this helps!

Kevin
KB LAWN SERVICE
CENTRAL TX

wojo23323
04-04-2002, 07:18 AM
I use the Echo PE 2000. Have not had a problem with it for 2 years. I will buy the Echo PE 3100 next. It has more power and uses a thicker blade. In my opinion, the stick edger is way faster then the push edger. Easier to store and dont have to mess with the wheel height adjustment for curbs.

keifer
04-04-2002, 07:39 AM
I know you have made up your mind and echo is good but i vote for stihl there new model with the stright shaft is one mean machine.

Soupy
04-04-2002, 07:40 AM
I think I'm going to go with the Pas-2400 with the Edger and Pruner attachments. Any reasons I shouldn't go with the interchagable units?

Soupy

BGRANT
04-04-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by totallpm
We sold all of our push edgers. To much time to unload and to slow. Can't beat the speed and dependability of a stihl fc85. Once you use one youll never go back.

Kevin Total Landscaping:blob3:

For the most part you will be happy with your stick edger.You WILL be unhappy when you have to
edge walks that haven't been done in a long time.
When I was shopping for edgers my local dealer
let be try them both out.Thank goodness because I would not have been happy with a stick edger .
They just don't work for me I basically mow
residental.With that you get walks that haven't
been done forever.In that case you have to have a
push edger.In a prior post it was stated that they conducted a test between the two.I bet the push edger they used didn't have a 4 hp.honda engine on it.

mdb landscaping
04-04-2002, 09:52 AM
like i stated above, i bought the srm2400sb because it was the split shaft. since then, ive bought the trimmer, power broom and the edger attachments. since i work solo its great to be able to swtich attachments and not have to buy seperate power units for each item. there is plenty of power and the attachments work great. my next head attchment is goign to be the articulating hedge trimmer.

LawnLad
04-04-2002, 09:52 AM
For push edgers, we use the Powertrim's. Older models have the 2.5 hp Honda, newer ones have 4.0 hp. Don't see much of a difference. The belts and pulleys wear just the same. What I do like about the Powertrims over the McClanes is the front wheel. You can' find a better balanced edger - so edging beds in the landscape with the edger lifted onto the front wheel is effortless.

We have a lot of clay. So early in the season and during the growing season the push edger is ideal. Later into the year, I can see as things dry up a bit where the stick edger would be handy. We'll be trying one this year. Haven't decided Echo or Stihl yet.

wojo23323
04-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by BGRANT

For the most part you will be happy with your stick edger.You WILL be unhappy when you have to
edge walks that haven't been done in a long time.
When I was shopping for edgers my local dealer
let be try them both out.Thank goodness because I would not have been happy with a stick edger .
They just don't work for me I basically mow
residental.With that you get walks that haven't
been done forever.In that case you have to have a
push edger.In a prior post it was stated that they conducted a test between the two.I bet the push edger they used didn't have a 4 hp.honda engine on it.

I have had no trouble at all edging a sidewalk that hasn't been done in a while with a stick edger. For me it is easier to do it with a stick edger then a push edger. With the stick edger you come in from the side and chop up all the overgrowth, until you get to the end of the sidewalk. You go through blades quicker, but you just pass the cost to the customer. I have done many sidewalks that were overgrown by 6" or more, and would use nothing else but a stick edger.

naturescape
04-05-2002, 12:27 PM
The Tanaka edger is the best edger out there, easily worth the extra money.

I also carry an Echo trimmer with an Edgit attachment. Beats a stick edger (I've tried them). I do all edging on small properties (about 2500 sq ft) with the Edgit, for multiple properties close together, or large properties, I use the Tanaka, less weight to carry.

Soupy
04-05-2002, 01:44 PM
What model is your Tanaka?

Thanks,
soupy

TLS
04-05-2002, 05:49 PM
I dont see the advantage. I just use the string trimmer. Too many rocks to kick up with the edger.

As for push edgers, I have the McLane. Bought it at Sears about 15 years ago! I used it a lot until I bought my Echo Multi tool. The edger just sits and collects dust now! It, however comes out to play every year, when a new customer with monster overgrowth wants a crisp edge on their walks. The McLanes are nice in that they ride well on the outside curb. No need to adjust a "training wheel" to ride on the street while your up on the curb. If it wasn't for the weight of the McLane vs Echo, It would be a toss up, but with strapping the McLane down, and hefting it over the trailer every lawn, I'll just stick to the stick!

naturescape
04-05-2002, 09:34 PM
What model is your Tanaka?

I have a Tanaka 550LE (wheeled edger).

Soupy
04-06-2002, 01:35 AM
Thanks naturescape, I'll look into it.

Soupy