PDA

View Full Version : Straight bonds bad for a walkway?

MGH-PA
05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm in the process of repairing the paver patio that came with the house we bought. I had add base material, re-screed and compact, and now I'm beginning to set the pavers in place. This is my first paver job, but I decided to alter the original pattern due to a few things I changed in the design (planters, etc). I have one large section where it's going to be a straight bond pattern. Now this is only for a walkway/foot traffic, so is this an acceptable joint? Is the running bond preferred for stability or looks?

DVS Hardscaper
05-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Not really sure what a "straight bond pattern" is.

for pedestrian use, pretty much more or less any pattern is ok in terms of stability.

now in terms of looks - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

MGH-PA
05-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Sorry...they're also referred to as a stack bond as well. Essentially, the pavers are aligned so the vertical joints are in line with each other as opposed to the staggered joints you see in a running bond.

Bru75
05-26-2009, 01:57 PM
DVS is right, it's not the strongest interlock, but will be fine for foot traffic as long as it is done correctly. As the owner, only you can decide if it looks good. I'm not too fond of it personally.