PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer issue

psujeeperman02
05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I've got an older craftsman gas string trimmer.
It won't start under a full choke. And it wont run under no choke at all.
It only starts and runs in half choke.
Additionally, if we run at full open throttle, the trimmer bogs down and usually dies so then I have to restart it.

Any ideas what may be causing this?
It has fresh gas/oil mix.

Scag413
05-26-2009, 02:30 PM
this is the answer everyone would tell ya on here....throw it out and go buy a commerical trimmer and be done with it

kaferhaus
05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
this is the answer everyone would tell ya on here....throw it out and go buy a commerical trimmer and be done with it

^ is correct. Most trimmers you buy at dept stores or big box stores are not going to last very long.

An exception would be the Echo SRM 210 or SRM 230s sold at HD.

The SRM 210 is $220 at HD and exactly the same price at most "dealers". If there is a outdoor power equipment dealer near you that sells Echo, I'd buy from him first.

If the Echo isn't an option, most any of the Sthil trimmers would be fine, but you'll have to go to a dealer because Stihl won't sell through the big box stores.

The higher end Husqvarna trimmers at Lowes (over $200) are "ok" also.

Pretty much anything under that price point ($200) is going to be crap.

Richard Martin
05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
If it only runs on half choke and bogs if you give it full throttle then there is a gas supply issue. Whether it has a cracked fuel line, clogged filter, plugged up fuel tank vent or carb issue is unknown. It could cost more to find the problem than the trimmer is worth. Go buy a commercial trimmer and be done with it.

bighaydenslawn
05-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree with the crowd so far. I ran a weedeater brand curved shaft with carb problems until this year, and then I got an STIHL FS 90R. I love it. everything I ever needed in a trimmer for all scenarios, and I edge with it too. Ask kaferhaus about these trimmers, he has good things to say about them as well.

By the way, your choke problem sounds exactly like my old weedeater - only ran on half choke. we took it to several repair shops, cleaned plugs and filters, everything and no one could fix it.

Cuttinitclose
05-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Get a FS 90R Stihl. I know there expensive but well worth it. I ponderd and ponderd about getting one. Now I'm glad I did. I don't know how big of an operation your running but, for me it comes in handy. Plenty of power and the ability to change gearboxes. Best $300 Ive spent i awhile.

kaferhaus
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Get a FS 90R Stihl. I know there expensive but well worth it. I ponderd and ponderd about getting one. Now I'm glad I did. I don't know how big of an operation your running but, for me it comes in handy. Plenty of power and the ability to change gearboxes. Best $300 Ive spent i awhile.

Best bang for the buck in my opinion... we have a lot of them.

psujeeperman02
06-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. Trimmer is in the garbage!