PDA

View Full Version : FX Luminaire? Coming East.....

Go Halogen
05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day.

I was at my local John Deere today and saw a posting. FX Luminaire coming soon. I have not seen FX in my area (Mid Atlantic). I know that FX is big on the West Coast, but how will it hold up to our cold winter climates? Anyone have experience with FX.. If so, please mention quality, longevity and over all rating. The list prices appear to be very good.

Thanks

-Andy

Lite4
05-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Fx is a high quality product and will hold up fine in the east. I used to use them years ago and they performed very well. Hunter irrigation bought them last year and I am sure they will do wonders in product advancement and marketing with the FX line.

PSUTURFGEEK
05-26-2009, 11:22 PM
You will also get your Hunter points

sprinklerchris
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
You will also get your Hunter points

If the only reason to use a fixture is because Hunter owns the company or they give you points, you're making a mistake in your product selection process.

Our experience with FX has been mixed. Ewing has pushed it for years, but its never really caught on in our market.

Az Gardener
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I have known the FX guys Josh, original owner and Binkly customer service rep for years. Josh designed a light for us when he was just starting out to meet some difficult HOA spec's back in the early 90's. I have found them to have the highest level of customer service on a consistent basis. They have had their bumps like everyone but I have never had a warranty issue disputed and they have consistently been professional in every respect here in Phoenix. I hope Hunter allows them to continue their company culture under that big Hunter umbrella.

Go Halogen
06-23-2009, 08:54 PM
I just had a chance to see and handle some FX product. It was my first time seeing the product and I must say it is nice. But them again, they are fixtures, and I have seen and worked with many different brands through the years. I liked the MP, MU, LR and the QF a lot. Looks to be made very well.

I have been a Vista user for years, mainly because of the service and a friend who worked for them. I am going to start to include some FX into my designs. I try to incorporate the right light for the situation. Also, knowing that a former student of mine will be my field support......how can I go wrong.

If you are like me, and live on the East Coast.....you probably have no experience with FX. Well, it's here now. Several distributors.

Oh, Hunter points? Not a reson to buy, but if the product turns out to be excellent......then it is an nice incentive.

-Andy

David Gretzmier
06-23-2009, 10:09 PM
You really can't beat the quality of an fx trans and the price on the 300 watt unit. I'm pretty sure they are more like a 350 or 360 watt trans, as they hold voltage rock solid at 240-260 watts. they also, for some reason, defy the charts on pushing voltage through wire. I cannot explain it, but time and time again I get less line loss, regardless of load, from trans readings to fixture reading with FX. never had an fx trans failure.

as far as thier fixtures, mostly problem free, but I have had some issues in the past with O-rings on the mr-16 bronze, powder coated copper units. you go to change the bulb, and around the 3r or 4th mark, and the top is just loose. it is as if the o-ring shrunk. it is that orange silicone, and replaceable, but this has happened on at least a dozen fixtures over the years.

Go Halogen
06-23-2009, 10:15 PM
David,

How about product selection? What are they missing?? The line of products seems to lack diversification. No fixture that can handle a 75 watt lamp and no bullets with a long shroud. Have you used many of their products or do you stick to a few that serve you best?

-Andy

irrig8r
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
You'll get your Hunter points as long as you aren't buying FX in CA or AZ.... thanks Ewing.

David Gretzmier
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I tend to pick out the things that others are missing and fill in with FX. My local Ewing mostly carries the mr-11 and mr-16 bullets, and 300-900 watt trans. I'm not a huge fan of the bronze color powder coated copper, but I use the mr-11's when I don't have time to build my own for gutter mounts.

I have used many of thier copper mini-hat paths, they actually invented that concept, and they still work 10 years plus later. I've installed thier copper boxes for down lighting on pergolas and trees, but I use other brands bullets for that now. I like cast brass, and FX does not have that. They do have various coatings, but not cast brass.

and finally, i've said it before, I hate the naming thier fixtures italian stuff just to be cool. They are not made in italy, it is just a marketing gig. I would have rather them spend the time and money on improving the product than thinking up cool sounding names.

Az Gardener
06-24-2009, 10:18 PM
and finally, i've said it before, I hate the naming thier fixtures italian stuff just to be cool. They are not made in italy, it is just a marketing gig. I would have rather them spend the time and money on improving the product than thinking up cool sounding names.

They did that because they were marketing to LS Architects to spec in the lights. I still call them by the old names RS AL TS etc. I wonder if it helped increase their market share to that group?

irrig8r
06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
My theory about the Italian names was that it had something to do with some late night brainstorming over a bottle of Chianti...

JoeyD
06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I think it had to do with the Soprano's.....now everyone wants to be an Italian! LOL

disclaimer: I AM KIDDING