PDA

View Full Version : In A Slump

TGCummings
04-03-2002, 10:33 AM
Seems like the last dozen or so lawns I've gone to quote on have been immediate turn downs, mostly on my side. Bad roads, bad neighborhoods, and lawns with vehicles/junk piled up on them. They're the kinds of places that when I pull up, I'm already shaking my head... Am I getting too picky?

To add to it, I've been getting cancellations with greater frequency than I've had in years. Mostly nickel and dime stuff, but the large commercial account (Water Company) has decided not to renew this year, too. Seems the board members are tired of finding staff sitting around during the day and has asked the General Manager to have his own people cut the lawns again. Weird little stuff.

My quality has never been better; my systems have never run smoother since my wife came aboard, we're just in a slump.

We're working with the local paper to circulate about 5000 flyers in a couple weeks, so maybe it's just the Law of Average's way of clearing out my schedule for the new rush?

Anyone else experiencing a slower than usual start to Spring? A sudden rush of unrelated cancellations? A untimely hangnail?

How about a pat on the back and a "go get 'em, tiger" for a slumping veteran of the lawn game...? ;)

Bill Davis
04-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Personally we are having good luck finding good work and keeping our accounts, we are having a little problem with people that are now cutting grass for the extra money and cutting down our prices real bad. These people will eventually go away. Maybe you need to diversify your company and look into things like landscaping and sprinklers and retaining walls. These jobs pay well, keep your workers busy, and make you more likely to get more maintenance accounts. Things always get worse before they get better. Have a good one, Bill D.

awm
04-03-2002, 10:49 AM
thats a bummer . ive lost seven due to deaths and money situation changes. only taken on two new .
seems like u either worked to death or not getting enough.
:)
just keep digging,i guess.

Scraper
04-03-2002, 10:51 AM
Go get 'em, Tiger!!! :)

We all go through it...I've caught myself feeling the same way lately. Grab them belt loops, pull up them britches and lift that head high.

johnhenry
04-03-2002, 11:50 AM
T G sometimes this business can just crawl inside of you. And its nothing you done.This is silly season where everyone tries to one up each other. Plus you have to deal with all the one season wonders.The worst part that I hate is bidding ooo I hate bidding. It sounds like you have a strong base and with your wife with you it makes your company stronger. It seems to me that about every 5 years my route goes thru some major changes that we have no control over. Just keep up the good work like you have been. Only the strong will survive

trimmer
04-03-2002, 12:28 PM
The season is just starting give it some time and let the heat come in. Some seasons are just better than others.

BGRANT
04-03-2002, 04:51 PM
TGCummings,
Hey,buck up soldier everything will be just fine.I
try to remind myself every year not to worry.Every
year is the same I start out a little slow wondering if I will get enough accounts.And before I know it I'm pulling my hair out trying to get them all done.Don't worry be :D you will be :blob1: before you know it.
Brian.

CS Lawns
04-03-2002, 04:57 PM
Lately everyother job I bid I lose to a lowballer. Did not get any of the 3 jobs I looked at this week. If I say $25.00 they say $15.00. At $1.25 + a gallon of gas, Ins and Taxes I cant see how they are doing it (well I do they are not a legit company). When I get the call to be turned down I tell them to keep my number for when the lowballer quits showing up or does a terrible job.

Sooner or later we will get what we want ??

Toroguy
04-03-2002, 05:39 PM
Lower your overhead in preparation for these types of unpredictable - no way to control them events.

Chances are the low bidder may not survive the season and you will be called upon to resume service during the year.

Never doubt yourself, use the extra time to improve and reflect.

rodfather
04-03-2002, 06:43 PM
s##t happens...it's part of the biz i think. every business has its ups and downs. in big business and in government, it happens about every 6 or 7 years...very cyclical (and predictable).

so, just keep in mind there will be great times with some not so great times. the thing to do is to know how to ride out the valleys (slumps) so you'r prepared better for when things turn around.

just my 2 cents.

TGCummings
04-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies, folks. It's always good to get the positive commentary to stave off the negative thoughts that inevitably creep in when things are "down".

It's just been a bear of a week in a slower-than-usual season and I needed a shoulder to lean on. Lucky for me there are over 6500 of them on LawnSite now. ;)

We got the rate card packet in the mail yesterday from the local paper and it looks like we'll be putting down about 5-6000 flyers in the next few weeks. We might try to "spice up" our Service Directory ad as well. That, and we're getting our magnetic signs in sometime this week. Between it all we should see some kind of results.

Thanks again!

yardboyltd
04-04-2002, 08:33 PM
It's not your fault. The only thing that can explain the random up's and down's in life is something called M-theory, which has yet to be explained, we most likely in a 5 dimension, and can only witness a few dimensions, let alone interact in them.

Sorry couldn't resist. Just got done at looking at "Our universe in a nut shell"

TGCummings
04-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by yardboyltd
It's not your fault. The only thing that can explain the random up's and down's in life is something called M-theory, which has yet to be explained, we most likely in a 5 dimension, and can only witness a few dimensions, let alone interact in them.

Sorry couldn't resist. Just got done at looking at "Our universe in a nut shell"

Golly... When you put it that way my concerns seem rather... limited... ;)