PDA

View Full Version : how do i get rid of moss in joints?

Right Touch
05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
have a customer who doesnt quite realize her patio is in full shade and the moss will come back every year no matter how many times we remove it. Is there any "home remedy" solution to get rid of moss, so she can just do it herself? I've heard some type of soap works, just wondering if anyone else has tried anything short of a stiff brush or commercial chemical.

benjammin
05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Blow torch

MassSteelerfan
06-06-2009, 02:16 AM
polymetric sand will keep moss out of joints, if that's what you are refering too.

DVS Hardscaper
06-06-2009, 09:52 AM
polymetric sand will keep moss out of joints, if that's what you are refering too.

Definitely not correct. We have a job right now with a moss problem. Problem is when you pull it out, the poly sand comes up in huge clumps.

On this particular job we used "Gator Sand". Which I'm not liking Gator Sand very much. It was the 1st time we used this brand and probably will be the last.

Bru75
06-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Definitely not correct. We have a job right now with a moss problem. Problem is when you pull it out, the poly sand comes up in huge clumps.

On this particular job we used "Gator Sand". Which I'm not liking Gator Sand very much. It was the 1st time we used this brand and probably will be the last.

Haven't used gator sand, but my supplier stopped carrying it because they had some problems with it.
One patio that I built has moss in the joints, and I think it looks really good. It's at an old house and makes the patio look like it's been there for a long time.
Would bleach do anything to moss? Works on mildew.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Is it Gator sand or Gator dust by Alliance? You should be using Super sand that is made by Alliance. The Gator dust by Alliance is for WIDE flagstone type joints. It has lager "P" sized pieces in the sand. We switched from TS polysand to the Alliance Super sand and haven't looked back. Around here it is $5 a bag cheaper and sets a lot quicker and we haven't had any problems yet

LB1234
06-06-2009, 10:15 PM
low pressure power washer. You can do it every month or so and put her on a maitenance plan.

AllHardscaping
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Moss grows on polymeric sand, especially if its wet all the time. Its just easier to clean since a strong hose will not blow out the sand.

AllHardscaping
06-08-2009, 03:01 PM
I would pressure wash it out and resand. Some times when you use a solvent acrylis sealer and get the joint sand covered well it makes it a helluva lot harder for moss to grow. That could get you by a year or so and prevent mildew on the pavers as well.

When the moss starts to appear throw a bleach mix down. That will help kill it and prevent it a little at a time. You can get strong bleech at pool supply stores, clorox is about half the strength so you'll use a lot more.