PDA

View Full Version : 529 MSMA Weed Killer

blake101
05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Just purchased this product and my question is will it work on Dandelions. I know it will work on a few broadleaf weeds but not sure about this one.

IRRITECH
05-26-2009, 10:12 PM
What does the label say??

blake101
05-26-2009, 11:15 PM
What does the label say??
It doesn't list Dandelions, but was wondering if it would work.

packey
05-26-2009, 11:37 PM
If memory serves me right msma is more for grassy weeds like grab brass, tall fescue, goose grass, dallas grass. I do not think it is what you are looking for to just kill dandelions. Let me look something up though. Oh yeah make sure your day time high temps are no more than lower 80's or it will burn good turf as well

blake101
05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
If memory serves me right msma is more for grassy weeds like grab brass, tall fescue, goose grass, dallas grass. I do not think it is what you are looking for to just kill dandelions. Let me look something up though. Oh yeah make sure your day time high temps are no more than lower 80's or it will burn good turf as well

Hey Packey, thanks for responding. I was also thinking of using 2-4d for the Dandelions, have you ever used it? I have Bermuda and they say it won't kill it. But I still need the MSMA as I have other weed also.

hmartin
05-27-2009, 09:46 PM
MSMA will not do much of anything to dandelions, but they are about to die out as soon as it gets hot.

Ortho Weed B Gone or Spectracide Weed Stop has 2,4-d included and will be what you need for broadleaf weeds. Bayer makes a broadleaf weed killer also. There will probably be a picture of a dandelion on the label of these products. Read the weeds controlled section of the label. Home Depot and Lowes sell about 10 different bottle sizes/brands that all do the same thing. Read the ingredients on the label. MSMA is Monosodium Methanearsonate. 2,4-D will likely say something like Dimethylamine salt of 2,4-D-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid.

Some of these weed killer products say "Max" or "Plus Crabgrass" and this used to mean that MSMA was included, but its is starting to refer to quinclorac, which is great on crabgrass but doesn't effect dallisgrass. Again, refer to the label.

blake101
05-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Hmartin, do you know if I can mix MSMA and 2-4d together, Or will I be asking for trouble? If so How do I do it?

Again Thanks.