PDA

View Full Version : establishing a new lawn

robert fling
04-03-2002, 01:11 PM
i purchased my home last year and the lawn area is well lets say rough. i applied a heavy dose of weed killer in the fall and killed off most of the weeds and am now left with many bare areas and some sparse grass areas. i plan on aerating and seeding over the top of that. will that provide a nice bed for the seeds to grow on? i would like to establish a nice lawn and learn from this so i can provide this service to my maintenance customers (many need it believe me). i am located in the long island new york area, and plan to use a mixture of bluegrass and fescue seeds. any pointers that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!!

Premo Services
04-03-2002, 04:24 PM
You would do better with using an overseeder machine to overseed the lawn. Then you could also do an aeration to help out. You will get the best benifits in the fall for aerating and overseeding. If you do this in the spring, sometimes the seeds do not mature enough and the sumer heat will kill them. Also, bluegrass is a retty thirsty gras and needs good watering, more than fescue would. Mabey someone in your area will reply aas to what kind of seed would work best for you.

robert fling
04-03-2002, 04:30 PM
what does an overseeder do, and what advantage does it give me over using a broadcast spreader? thank you for the invormation

Premo Services
04-03-2002, 09:13 PM
An overseeder cuts slits in the ground and deposits the seed into the slits and covers them up so thewre is a real good seed to soil contact. A broadcast spreader will just broadcast the seed over the top of the ground. Go to a commerecial lawn equiptment store and check one out, you will see what I mean!!!!!

kbcjlc
04-03-2002, 09:53 PM
I use LESCO Turf-Type Tall Fescue. Best to get Blue tag or cert. then get 18-24-12 starter to go along with seeds. Good luck... It will take time but do it every fall for overseed and apply early in Feb. until grass is full growth

Keith

tpl
04-03-2002, 11:10 PM
Another problem as to why I will only seed in the fall is weeds. Warmer temps in TN. If I seed in the spring, I can't use a herbicide until the grass is mature enough to handle it. In turn, the weeds that come up during the first month or so will compete with the grass....killing some of the grass off. Using a slit seeder is the best way if you are going to do it. I would probably aerate beforehand though.

awm
04-04-2002, 05:14 PM
being in nc i also prefer fall planting ,for reasons stated.
in new york u might get away with spring planting better . not sure.

kbcjlc
04-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Patrick,

Why not seed in the spring and at same time using selective to kill some weeds... leave bare spot in spring time is a sore eye... Plant seeds in Spring then do in Fall until everything is grow full then can do overseed only in fall.

It works good for me in Western NC

Keith

tpl
04-04-2002, 10:38 PM
Keith,
Great idea. Never thought of doing it twice. That is twice the money. I just had certain things branded in my brain when I worked for Chemlawn. Had to make out the correct way of doing things evry time I lost a customer (Chemlawn is famous for that).

kbcjlc
04-04-2002, 10:51 PM
It was not my idea.. I learn from Lesco Dealers. I always ask plenty of questions about different types of grasses. if or what will happen and what it can be solve. I learn pretty much by what they have told me.

Keith

Soupy
04-05-2002, 05:04 AM
Yea Chemlawn doesn't want to eat into their PreM profits. If you think you got rid of all the weeds then it won't hurt to overseed in the spring. It will come up nicely this time of year. But like stated previosly. Come July/August you better be watering that lawn. I use Lesco traditional blend. Three typs of fescue. o.o% weed usually a 90% germenation rate. They make good seed.

Soupy