PDA

View Full Version : tranny trouble.

2low4NH
05-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Ok not like the he/she tranny but the 5 speed on my walkbehind.
I have a 48" exmark W/B belt drive with the 5 speed peerless tranny. the problem is it keeps slipping out of gear when i hit bumps and on hills. what would cause this? it also bucks like the belt is slipping but its not.

dutch1
05-26-2009, 10:45 PM
If it's jumping in all gears it's possible you may have a tooth out of the drive gear. If it's just jumping in one gear it most likely a missing tooth in that particular driven gear.

Restro will most likely be along with another opinion. I'm certain that he has encountered more of the Peerless than I have. I see more hydros than anything else.

Dutch

2low4NH
05-26-2009, 10:51 PM
can these be rebuilt? i dont wanna shell out the 200+ bucks on a new tranny

dutch1
05-26-2009, 11:13 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while as far as working within a dealership. Peerless was part of the Tecumseh organization and Tecumseh went out of business although I have heard they were purchased by another company. I do know the dealership that I worked at has had problems getting Tecumseh parts.

There should be a little aluminum tag on the transmission, held on by one of the assembly screws. You will need the ID numbers then you can identify parts, hopefully at the following site: http://www.outdoordistributors.com/peerless/peerless.html

If this fails to be of help, check with a Teumseh dealer.

Dutch

mowerknower
05-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Most likely just need to put in a set of shifter keys. This is the most common problem with the peerless trannys and your symptoms confirm it. Most dealers will have the shifter keys in stock since they are common on most models

2low4NH
05-27-2009, 09:16 AM
is this a fairly easy fix? i have never worked on a tranny on anything before but im pretty mechanicly inclined

mowerknower
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Really easy, you dont even pull the tranny. Just pull the top of the tranny off and you will be able to tell what to do from there.

2low4NH
05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
i talked to my dealer today he said its probally shift forks. he said there are 4 of them and they go for $14 a piece does that sound right?

mowerknower
05-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Sounds right to me. Get yourself some tecumseh peerless grease while your at it.

2low4NH
05-28-2009, 04:14 PM
okay how the hell do i get the forks out?

MowerMedic77
05-28-2009, 04:35 PM

Maybe this will help you........
http://www.smallcarplans.com/manual.pdf

2low4NH
05-28-2009, 07:23 PM
the more i read up on this i dont think its the shift forks i think its the input shaft. i checked it for play and the pulley does move around a bit. the shift forks dont look worn really. im gonna pull it apart tommorow i guess i need to just buy a new trans

Tharrell
05-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Before you spend the money on a new tranny, look into what's actually wrong with the old one. They're surprisingly simple to wotk on. I took mine apart and posted pics on this forum. The worst part was all the grease. A parts washer would be on my wish list if I do it again but, I did it without one. Tony

2low4NH
05-30-2009, 10:44 AM
i pulled it apart yesterday im gonna throw some new shift forks in and see if that works. everthing else looks great but the shift forks do have some wear

topsites
05-30-2009, 12:25 PM

You gotta pull the tranny :p

No, actually, I think you can do it by just removing the top cover, however you
may well have to remove the two outer shafts which involves removing both side
pulleys.
Still way easier that way thou.

2low4NH
05-30-2009, 01:57 PM
yeah already figured it out wasnt hard to do at all. i pulled the axles and popped the gears. i cleaned the whole tranny out inspected every gear. found worn shift forks and that was it the rest of the tranny was nice and tight i just need to put it back together now. total cost for four shift forks and grease was fifty bucks