PDA

View Full Version : 2001-2005 Dodge 2500 diesel trucks

lyube
05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Which year is the best? I beleive they discontinued the 5.9l in 2006, but I'm not sure. I don't drive a dodge, I drive fords mostly.

I know this:

A) Most dodge guys buy the truck because of the engine.
B) The cummins is a great engine
C) Interiors suck on ALL years
D) Decent torque, MPG
E) Automatic trans are NOT one of dodge's specialities.

Sometime in late 10 I am going to be truck shopping. Due to recent decisions on my part, I can either buy a retired military m800 5 ton truck to tow around some heavy armor and get a toyota tacoma as a DD, or get a 2500/3500 series truck to do all with.

Got some time to think it out though.

TXNSLighting
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Well youve got two different body styles there. the 03-05 is much better. they discontinued the 5.9 in 07 actually. cummins is great, fuel mileage is good, and the newer interiors are decent. But the 01-02's you mentioned are loud and awesome. Just start test drivin some. You'll find out which are better. I prefer the 03-07 5.9's. The Autos are really quite good. Especially 04+.

Gravel Rat
05-27-2009, 01:16 AM
If I were you I would be looking for a truck this year for one the prices are good. When the economy picks up again you will be paying alot more for a truck. Two the newer trucks are getting worse the 6.7 Cummins is turning out to be a emmissions nightmare.

The older trucks especailly the pre 6.7 trucks will become more in demand.

I'am not a Dodge fan but I would say your better off with a 5.9 Common rail engine. It has more power and best of all its quieter.

I have been around enough noise over the years the 24 valve Cummins are too noisy.

WH401
05-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Well you've got 2 different body styles with there own certain mechanical attributes. The 01' - 02's have the original 24 valve engine which has the VP44 injection pump. There have been known issues with the Carter lift pumps that feed the VP44 failing and then taking out the VP44 in the process. The fuel pump replacement cost is about $3k. But this problem can be prevented with a fuel pressure gauge and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one of these MY trucks. There the last Cummins trucks that actually sound loud like a diesel should. The 47re transmission in these trucks is a decent and reliable transmission when the engine is kept stock. Like any other stock transmission, if you mod the engine than you need to watch the trans. They have looser TC's than most would like, but they get the job done. These trucks get pretty good MPG as well. The interiors on these trucks are hit or miss with most people, you either like them or you don't. They don't bother me and wouldn't keep me from purchasing one.

The 03 - 05 trucks have the common rail version of the 5.9. The biggest thing is that it is much much quieter than the former 24 valve engine. The 03 - 04's have the 305/555 engine and they don't have any kind of emission equipment what so ever. The 04.5's to early 07's have the HO 325/600 - 610 motor and only have the addition of a CAT in the exhaust pipe, it's really not that big of a deal. The 03 - 04's tend to get the best mileage because they are a slightly lower HP and don't have a 3rd injection event like the HO engine does. Early 03's had the 47re transmission, but most 03's - early 07's ahve the 48re transmission. The 48re was a great upgrade over the 47re and is nice reliable transmission in stock form. In the 06's Dodge added a switch so that you could have both the option of Tow/Haul and Overdrive Off for the transmission. The 03 - 04 trucks can still have fuel pump issues because of the FP being mounted on the block up until about the 04.5. The retrofit factory fix for this was a fuel tank mounted FP which solved this issue. If a truck has been to the dealer for this problem than usually Dodge will put the retrofit kit on the truck as a warranty claim. Or you could just go buy an aftermarket pump such as an Airdog and be done with it. The interiors on these trucks are the nicest of the Cummins trucks ever made so far. The seats could be a little more comfortable but that would be my only gripe. The front wheel hubs on these trucks lock the front drivetrain at the axles, as opposed to the free spinning hubs of the 89 - 93's and the unlocked Dana axles of the 94 - 02's, so the entire front drivetrain is turning as you go down the road. This causing extra wear and a loss of 1 - 2 mpg over the older models. You can solve this by buying an aftermarket free spinning hubs kit. Honestly, there's no issue these trucks have that would keep me from buying another one.

JDiepstra
05-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Well you've got 2 different body styles with there own certain mechanical attributes. The 01' - 02's have the original 24 valve engine which has the VP44 injection pump. There have been known issues with the Carter lift pumps that feed the VP44 failing and then taking out the VP44 in the process. The fuel pump replacement cost is about $3k. But this problem can be prevented with a fuel pressure gauge and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one of these MY trucks. There the last Cummins trucks that actually sound loud like a diesel should. The 47re transmission in these trucks is a decent and reliable transmission when the engine is kept stock. Like any other stock transmission, if you mod the engine than you need to watch the trans. They have looser TC's than most would like, but they get the job done. These trucks get pretty good MPG as well. The interiors on these trucks are hit or miss with most people, you either like them or you don't. They don't bother me and wouldn't keep me from purchasing one.

The 03 - 05 trucks have the common rail version of the 5.9. The biggest thing is that it is much much quieter than the former 24 valve engine. The 03 - 04's have the 305/555 engine and they don't have any kind of emission equipment what so ever. The 04.5's to early 07's have the HO 325/600 - 610 motor and only have the addition of a CAT in the exhaust pipe, it's really not that big of a deal. The 03 - 04's tend to get the best mileage because they are a slightly lower HP and don't have a 3rd injection event like the HO engine does. Early 03's had the 47re transmission, but most 03's - early 07's ahve the 48re transmission. The 48re was a great upgrade over the 47re and is nice reliable transmission in stock form. In the 06's Dodge added a switch so that you could have both the option of Tow/Haul and Overdrive Off for the transmission. The 03 - 04 trucks can still have fuel pump issues because of the FP being mounted on the block up until about the 04.5. The retrofit factory fix for this was a fuel tank mounted FP which solved this issue. If a truck has been to the dealer for this problem than usually Dodge will put the retrofit kit on the truck as a warranty claim. Or you could just go buy an aftermarket pump such as an Airdog and be done with it. The interiors on these trucks are the nicest of the Cummins trucks ever made so far. The seats could be a little more comfortable but that would be my only gripe. The front wheel hubs on these trucks lock the front drivetrain at the axles, as opposed to the free spinning hubs of the 89 - 93's and the unlocked Dana axles of the 94 - 02's, so the entire front drivetrain is turning as you go down the road. This causing extra wear and a loss of 1 - 2 mpg over the older models. You can solve this by buying an aftermarket free spinning hubs kit. Honestly, there's no issue these trucks have that would keep me from buying another one.

Very good post. All info accurate. I have an 04.5 and love it. Oh, and it goes 0-60 in 4.7 seconds so far. :dizzy:

ZTR_Diesel
05-28-2009, 12:58 PM
In addition to what has already been stated, the 01.5 and 02 trucks (called second gen) are fitted with 4-wheel disk brakes. Vast improvement over the rear drums such as my '96 has. Personally, I would stick to the '03 and newer units as the VP-44 injection pump and associated lift pump are prone to fail at any time on the '01 & 02's. Also the 47RE, without modification WILL fail even running stock engine power levels sooner or later.

Now - something else you said "All thier interiors suck." Where are you getting this information from? Actual experance, or hearsay? Let me say this, that while the dash & door panels are different in my '96, I know of no other veichle with 350,000 miles on it such as mine has, that has so few squeaks, rattles or things falling loose inside. In eight years of ownership I have yet to have had one electrical glitch, and nothing seems to have loosened up even with fairly hard use (not to mention Illinois roadways and thier cratered existance.) Even a 1995 Volvo 850 turbo I owned that are supposed to be screwed together to last a lifetime rattled like crazy at 75,000 miles. People give Dodge a hard time as they were always a bit different. I have ZERO brand loyalty (which is really just living in partial blindness anyway) and simply buy what fits my needs. I wanted an I-6 diesel with a manual transmission, and Ford & GM didn't provide that package.

That being said, I would also encourage you to try a Dmax-Allison combo as they are also just a really well put together rig.

Gravel Rat
05-28-2009, 07:32 PM
My brothers 94 is horrible with brakes they don't last long and they always pull to the right.

You definalty want a truck with 4 wheel disk brakes the old drum brakes are archaic.

ZTR_Diesel
05-29-2009, 01:52 AM
My brothers 94 is horrible with brakes they don't last long and they always pull to the right.

You definalty want a truck with 4 wheel disk brakes the old drum brakes are archaic.

Perhaps he should check into a full four-wheel alignment.

Evne when my rear drum rotors developed an oval internal shape, soon after I bought my truck, I still have not had an issue with it pulling left or right. I'd start with the alignment, and then look into front & rear disk/drum rotors. Or - has his frame been tweaked somehow?

Gravel Rat
05-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Every truck in that same era in this area has the exact same problem and I mean exact. The brakes are problematic. The passenger side steer tire wears off bald before the drivers side.

Trust me the alinement shops have tried and there is nothing they can do.

My brothers 94 just had all the front end replaced and it still pulls to the one side.

Today at one of the repair shops I have friends at they were joking today do you really want to buy a Chrysler product. Its all they work on is people with problems with their Dodge's. Like I said parts the worst there is customers vehicals that sit for a week waiting for parts. One thing about it you CAN'T use aftermarket parts on a Dodge especially brakes. Dodge has so many d*mn variation in parts from year to year and in the same year.

The mechanics hate working on Dodge vehicals because they are poorly designed and very frustrating to work on. They work on Dodge vehicals because its good money. The "F" word is used alot when working on a Chrysler product.

I have spent many years pulling wrenches and I can see the frustration when I look at what needs to be repaired on Dodge P/U trucks. The word cheap POS is used alot also.

ZTR_Diesel
05-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Too bad - never had those problem with mine. Guess I'm just fortunate, and I have lots of people who ask if they could buy my truck...

mag360
05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Every truck in that same era in this area has the exact same problem and I mean exact. The brakes are problematic. The passenger side steer tire wears off bald before the drivers side.

My brothers 94 just had all the front end replaced and it still pulls to the one side.

Today at one of the repair shops I have friends at they were joking today do you really want to buy a Chrysler product. Its all they work on is people with problems with their Dodge's. Like I said parts the worst there is customers vehicals that sit for a week waiting for parts. One thing about it you CAN'T use aftermarket parts on a Dodge especially brakes. Dodge has so many d*mn variation in parts from year to year and in the same year.

The mechanics hate working on Dodge vehicals because they are poorly designed and very frustrating to work on. They work on Dodge vehicals because its good money. The "F" word is used alot when working on a Chrysler product.

I have spent many years pulling wrenches and I can see the frustration when I look at what needs to be repaired on Dodge P/U trucks. The word cheap POS is used alot also.

You need to mix in a little truth if you want it to sound believable :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gravel Rat
05-30-2009, 06:01 PM
One of the guys in the area had a 94 Dodge Cummins its junk now the cab rotted off. From brandnew the truck pulled to the right and wore off the passenger side steering tire. The mechanics that worked on his truck tried everything. My brothers 94 is exactly the same the passenger side tire wears out before the rest. I think my brother only got 6200 miles out of the left steering tire. BFG ATs do peal off fast but it should last longer than what it has. I drive my brothers 94 time to time its horrible to drive because it steers like crap. Even with brandnew brakes the truck stops like crap.

And like I said the mechanics in the area HATE working on Dodge vehicals some of the shops refuse to work on them. For one parts are nearly impossible to get. The dealers don't stock any parts.

Maybe in the USA where Dodge trucks are more previalant and where you don't have twisty roads and no road salt etc they last. On the West Coast with road salt and pacific salt air Dodge trucks do rust faster. The twisty roads make the suspension wear out quicker. And the mountianous terrian makes the trucks eat brakes.

The worst part about buying a Dodge is once you drive it off the lot your on you own. The dealer washes their hands of anything to do with that truck. Diesel trucks your SOL they won't work on them and not equiped to work on them they farm that work out.

You can pretty much say in my area Ford trucks have 50% of the market Chevy/GMC has 40% and Dodge shares the 10% with the foriegn brands.

The only good thing about my brothers truck is its fuel economy but otherwise the truck is just a typical Dodge.

WH401
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Too bad - never had those problem with mine. Guess I'm just fortunate, and I have lots of people who ask if they could buy my truck...

Don't worry, for the normal average person, any of the Cummins trucks will serve a person well. You have to understand that Gravel Rat lives in the depths of hell where nothing will survive except the devils one and only love, a Fix or Repair Daily.:rolleyes:

ZTR_Diesel
05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Don't worry, for the normal average person, any of the Cummins trucks will serve a person well. You have to understand that Gravel Rat lives in the depths of hell where nothing will survive except the devils one and only love, a Fix or Repair Daily.:rolleyes:

I wasn't worried, thanks. I know that the truth stands that without data, it's just another opinion. Since brand loyalty and product engineering as a profession do not go hand in hand, I abandoned that philisophy in undergraduate school. Kind of makes me want to...:sleeping:

WH401
05-31-2009, 12:18 AM
I wasn't worried, thanks. I know that the truth stands that without data, it's just another opinion. Since brand loyalty and product engineering as a profession do not go hand in hand, I abandoned that philisophy in undergraduate school. Kind of makes me want to...:sleeping:

At this time of night, I agree.:laugh:

JDiepstra
05-31-2009, 07:48 PM

One of the guys in the area had a 94 Dodge Cummins its junk now the cab rotted off. From brandnew the truck pulled to the right and wore off the passenger side steering tire. The mechanics that worked on his truck tried everything. My brothers 94 is exactly the same the passenger side tire wears out before the rest. I think my brother only got 6200 miles out of the left steering tire. BFG ATs do peal off fast but it should last longer than what it has. I drive my brothers 94 time to time its horrible to drive because it steers like crap. Even with brandnew brakes the truck stops like crap.

And like I said the mechanics in the area HATE working on Dodge vehicals some of the shops refuse to work on them. For one parts are nearly impossible to get. The dealers don't stock any parts.

Maybe in the USA where Dodge trucks are more previalant and where you don't have twisty roads and no road salt etc they last. On the West Coast with road salt and pacific salt air Dodge trucks do rust faster. The twisty roads make the suspension wear out quicker. And the mountianous terrian makes the trucks eat brakes.

The worst part about buying a Dodge is once you drive it off the lot your on you own. The dealer washes their hands of anything to do with that truck. Diesel trucks your SOL they won't work on them and not equiped to work on them they farm that work out.

You can pretty much say in my area Ford trucks have 50% of the market Chevy/GMC has 40% and Dodge shares the 10% with the foriegn brands.

The only good thing about my brothers truck is its fuel economy but otherwise the truck is just a typical Dodge.

You have no clue.

Gravel Rat
05-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Keep on pushing your lawn mowers and keep mechanics to people like me.

If you have to take your truck to a dealer to get fixed or have to have a mechanic to have your truck you have no clue about how poor quality Dodge trucks are.

I have been pulling wrenches for 15 years from my 1 tons to tandem axle gravel trucks. I have friends that have been mechanics for over 30 years and trust me they say you would have to be stupid to buy a Chrysler vehical.

Dodge trucks are the biggest joke in the mechanics world. They keep the mechanics here employed.

Keep buying Dodge trucks your keeping the jobs out of the USA and just think the gov't is spending billions of your tax money to bail Chrysler out.

Maybe you landscapers should spend some time in the mining or the oil fields or the forest industry and see how long Dodge trucks last under severe abuse. Let me tell you they don't last very long. Cheap tin and cheap quality isn't meant for work.

Big difference from a landscaper pulling a trailer on a paved road compared to a truck that spends most of its life off road in mud or sharp rock and on rough roads. Some places you need a excavator to pull the truck up the road because its too slippery and 4 wheeldrive isn't enough.

I would say most of you have no clue on what severe abuse to a truck is. Put double the legal payload into a F-350 srw truck the 10 ply tires are bulging with 80 PSI they look flat and going offroad with the truck.

Anybody in the resource industries around here would pizz themselves laughing if you took a Dodge into a work site. When your loaded on a barge and taken 40-50 miles up a inlet and no paved road in site. Takes 4-5 hours to get there with a barge and tug you are not taking a unreliable 4x4. The barge costs alone is 600 or more dollars each way.

Keep trying to prove a Dodge's worth its already been proven for the last 30 years. A Dodge truck stays on paved roads and never leaves a paved road.

nosparkplugs
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Great posts very accurate, and I see the need to only add a little bit more information on the 2nd generation Cummins 5.9L, I have a 2002 Dodge CTD 2500, would take it over a 3rd or 4th Gen ANY DAY mainly because of cost, also these 2nd gen trucks are getting harder to find with a Cummins diesel now, dieselheads are getting smart, and buying these trucks up quick. Most only need a new VP44 & LP & tranny; which if your mechanically inclined these trucks still run most a very long time before final death, and can be driven as you work on them. No other Dodge generation diesel has more folks wanting these truck in any condition, wise investment to get into dieselpower.

The Bosch VP44 is totally fuel lubricated, and that with low PSI with the factory lift pump will kill the VP44, but it's most always a SLOW DEATH, most forget a Cummins will run on a weak VP44 for over 100,000 miles, you loose some power, but the Cummins will tow just fine, just won't win any race's. Most VP44 early failure's are due to folks slapping tuners on these 2 nd Gen Cummins, their is a rubber diaphragm that gets stretched beyond it's spec's due to "cavitation" or loss of fuel or low PSI. diesels only require fuel & air no spark, a tuner only increase's fuel or "advance's the VP44 ECM program, and kills it within 5 minutes of the tuner install, for most owners with a weak VP44. Again this is beacuse most Cummins owners don't realize their VP44 is dying a slow death until a tuner or programmer is added to increase fuel & wear on the VP44 internals. Leave a VP44 Cummins stock until you can ugrade to a FASS or Air Dog, or the new cost effective "most bang for the buck" these in-line generator style fuel pump to keep a constant 10psi up to 17PSI or higher flow of fuel to the VP44 at WOT, even a common rail Bosch CP3 needs more fuel quickly when you start modifying the Cummins. First things first with diesels:nono:

The A618/518 tranny cases is tried & true Up until the new 68RE, Dodge uses the same transmission case for the 46RH, 47RE, 48RE only the internals are different, and the 46RH is totally hydraulic.

One very respected transmission leader Suncoast Transmission has a dang near bulletproof 47RE that is used in the GM duramax called the "torqueflite". Yep dieseljunkies in extreme Duramax power application are ditching the Allision 1000 for the 47RE.

I have rebuilt every Dodge A618/518 transmission at some point, never to open the transmission again once rebuilt that statement can be applied to all automatic's. Diesel transmissions are built to only handle the OEM hp/torque, their all on the edge of destruction.

It's been about three month's since I rebuilt the 47RE in my 2002 Dodge 2500 CTD, spend roughly 7K. The main cost was a triple disk billet torque converter, and billet internals when possible to include Accumulator & servo's, new Valve body, Raybestos Gen 2 Blue Plate special forward & direct frictions & Kolene Steels, Raybestos TAN overdrive frictions & steels, extra frictions in the forward drum=a 30% increase in clutch/friction surface area or more grabb in 1st & 2nd gear, Extra wide carbon fiber forward band, Extra wide Kevlar reverse band, Mega overdrive spring 950lb pressure for more holding power in overdrive while towing. A 48RE is nothing special just the OEM attempt to fix what most average truck owner does not want to spend at the aftermarket level to "truly" fix the Dodge transmission issue's. Minus the High torque of the stock Cummins, the weak stock torque converter & low set OEM line pressure is what kills the Dodge A618/518 trannys.

nosparkplugs
05-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Why hang out with the Little Landscsaper's, flat landers, you sure like reading & posting on threads that annoy you. That cannot be good for your soul or Blood pressure, so much negativity. I guess we can call the Dodge Cummins trucks being driven on the Axeman & Extreme logging series a freak accident or Dodge surly gave these trucks to the company. Maybe up their the environment is so harsh these "tin" can Dodge trucks just cannot handle it.

Here locally Conoco Phillips Pipe Line/oil field just swapped all their Ford F-3500/2500's for Dodge Cummins 3500/2500's. Why? Ford Powerstroke's are great diesel's but nothing tows & can snatch a trailer around like a Cummins ISB:nono:

Keep on pushing your lawn mowers and keep mechanics to people like me.

If you have to take your truck to a dealer to get fixed or have to have a mechanic to have your truck you have no clue about how poor quality Dodge trucks are.

I have been pulling wrenches for 15 years from my 1 tons to tandem axle gravel trucks. I have friends that have been mechanics for over 30 years and trust me they say you would have to be stupid to buy a Chrysler vehical.

Dodge trucks are the biggest joke in the mechanics world. They keep the mechanics here employed.

Keep buying Dodge trucks your keeping the jobs out of the USA and just think the gov't is spending billions of your tax money to bail Chrysler out.

Maybe you landscapers should spend some time in the mining or the oil fields or the forest industry and see how long Dodge trucks last under severe abuse. Let me tell you they don't last very long. Cheap tin and cheap quality isn't meant for work.

Big difference from a landscaper pulling a trailer on a paved road compared to a truck that spends most of its life off road in mud or sharp rock and on rough roads. Some places you need a excavator to pull the truck up the road because its too slippery and 4 wheeldrive isn't enough.

I would say most of you have no clue on what severe abuse to a truck is. Put double the legal payload into a F-350 srw truck the 10 ply tires are bulging with 80 PSI they look flat and going offroad with the truck.

Anybody in the resource industries around here would pizz themselves laughing if you took a Dodge into a work site. When your loaded on a barge and taken 40-50 miles up a inlet and no paved road in site. Takes 4-5 hours to get there with a barge and tug you are not taking a unreliable 4x4. The barge costs alone is 600 or more dollars each way.

Keep trying to prove a Dodge's worth its already been proven for the last 30 years. A Dodge truck stays on paved roads and never leaves a paved road.

TXNSLighting
05-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Why hang out with the Little Landscsaper's, flat landers, you sure like reading & posting on threads that annoy you. That cannot be good for your soul or Blood pressure, so much negativity. I guess we can call the Dodge Cummins trucks being driven on the Axeman & Extreme logging series a freak accident or Dodge surly gave these trucks to the company. Maybe up their the environment is so harsh these "tin" can Dodge trucks just cannot handle it.

Here locally Conoco Phillips Pipe Line/oil field just swapped all their Ford F-3500/2500's for Dodge Cummins 3500/2500's. Why? Ford Powerstroke's are great diesel's but nothing tows & can snatch a trailer around like a Cummins ISB:nono:

Ford 3500/2500?? When they start making those?? :rolleyes:

nosparkplugs
06-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Ford F-350 or F-250 that better :)

Ford 3500/2500?? When they start making those?? :rolleyes:

lyube
06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Decision made, I'm going to get a Tacoma SR5 Access cab. I'll pick up an m813 or an m35 to do the heavy lifting.

ZTR_Diesel
06-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Decision made, I'm going to get a Tacoma SR5 Access cab. I'll pick up an m813 or an m35 to do the heavy lifting.

Nice little truck, hold thier value pretty well. Terrible fuel mileage.

What year? If 1995 - 2000 check it closely for frame rust. Same thing with 2001 - 2004 (until current model) but the earlier units have a recall on them. If a V6-4wd it's not going to get much over 18 mpg.

TXNSLighting
06-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Eh i thought you were gonna get a real truck...

Glenn Lawn Care
06-03-2009, 11:35 PM
cummin is a good motor its jsut in the wrong truck! iam a ford guy. dodges are ugly every year same with interior!!

nosparkplugs
06-03-2009, 11:42 PM
The Toyota was on the list, but it surely will not be the "do all" truck he LUBEMAN:) was needing. While a fine conversation piece a surplus Military Vehicle will not be a efficient commercial vehicle, no air conditioning, and most Customers might think the SHTF when he pulled up to cut their grass.

To those not liking the Dodge Truck, but the engine. What good is a Ford Truck without a Cummins, something to ponder. Best answer drive a Dodge in the end it's the Engine & tranny that does the Work. The Cummins still puts a grin on my face daily, Powerstroke just never could do that:nono: Dodge interior fit & finish is great nothing special, but again the Cummins makes up for any shortfall the Dodge may have in my eyes. My biggest complaint is Dodge paint is very easy to scratch, vs a Ford, a good waxing & buffing each season takes care of the daily wear & tear surface scratch's from working a Dodge. Small issue's to me for such a good overall truck for towing.

WH401
06-04-2009, 08:37 AM

My thoughts exactly

cummin is a good motor its jsut in the wrong truck! iam a ford guy. dodges are ugly every year same with interior!!

Really?, and a truck that looks like someone just stuck 4 wheels on a box and called it a day is better? At least Dodge has curves and overall depth to there design, the Ford design is about as interesting as watching snow melt.

ZTR_Diesel
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Really?, and a truck that looks like someone just stuck 4 wheels on a box and called it a day is better? At least Dodge has curves and overall depth to there design, the Ford design is about as interesting as watching snow melt.

Design has very little to do with a truck's worth to me. However it's interesting to me that as much as Ford hasn't actually changed the Super-Duty since 1999, it's amazing how much more chrome they have plated over various parts of it en-Mass! Also - what is the use of plastering Super Duty over the newest versions no less than five places??!! Insecure perhaps that people aren't going to know what it is driving at them? :hammerhead:

WH401
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Design has very little to do with a truck's worth to me. :hammerhead:

I never said it did to me either. Personally I think Chevy has the most comfortable seats and probably the smoothest ride. But I'm not looking for a fancy asphalt queen. I have both my Dodges because of the engines and the fact that they both ride like bricks or the fact that the almost 20 year old model has more comfortable seats in it than the 3 year old model, are completely irrelevant issues. A trucks a truck, if I wanted a fancy interior, a super plush ride, and other nice amenities than I would've bought a Cadillac.

lyube
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
The Toyota was on the list, but it surely will not be the "do all" truck he LUBEMAN:) was needing. While a fine conversation piece a surplus Military Vehicle will not be a efficient commercial vehicle, no air conditioning, and most Customers might think the SHTF when he pulled up to cut their grass.

To those not liking the Dodge Truck, but the engine. What good is a Ford Truck without a Cummins, something to ponder. Best answer drive a Dodge in the end it's the Engine & tranny that does the Work. The Cummins still puts a grin on my face daily, Powerstroke just never could do that:nono: Dodge interior fit & finish is great nothing special, but again the Cummins makes up for any shortfall the Dodge may have in my eyes. My biggest complaint is Dodge paint is very easy to scratch, vs a Ford, a good waxing & buffing each season takes care of the daily wear & tear surface scratch's from working a Dodge. Small issue's to me for such a good overall truck for towing.

I would kill for a Ford truck with a cummins 5.9 and an allison auto. That would be the best truck ever made, period, hands down.

I'm not going to use the m800 to pull lawn stuff. Nor the Toyota, except in a pinch. When/if I do start working for myself 100%-after the military-I'll buy an f150 and slap a body on the back and run W/b and 21 push mowers out of it.

http://www.memphisequipment.com/PhotoGallery/view.asp?file=Photogallery/main/m813large.jpg

I am, I"m just not buying a domestic 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton.

lyube
06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
My thoughts exactly

I couldn't care what it looks like, performance and utility is more important. I hate the incessant chrome over everything on trucks. Simple interiors are FINE.

lyube
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Nice little truck, hold thier value pretty well. Terrible fuel mileage.

What year? If 1995 - 2000 check it closely for frame rust. Same thing with 2001 - 2004 (until current model) but the earlier units have a recall on them. If a V6-4wd it's not going to get much over 18 mpg.

Probably 08+.

JDiepstra
06-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Why would you guys want an Allison auto? It is common knowledge that the 48RE is the the best tranny offered in a diesel pickup when built properly. My truck would chew a stock Allison to pieces in a couple days. The Fords I test drove were junk and drove poorly. Then I got into the Dodge I had now and the interior, exterior, and power was much better.

lyube
06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Why would you guys want an Allison auto? It is common knowledge that the 48RE is the the best tranny offered in a diesel pickup when built properly. My truck would chew a stock Allison to pieces in a couple days. The Fords I test drove were junk and drove poorly. Then I got into the Dodge I had now and the interior, exterior, and power was much better.

Dodge does not come to my mind when "list of most trusted automatic transmissions" are created.

torqshift over the 48re...

I've always wanted 5 speeds in dodge trucks.

JDiepstra
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Dodge does not come to my mind when "list of most trusted automatic transmissions" are created.

I said when they are "built" properly. I am talking aftermarket TC's, VB's, billet shafts and flexplate. Guys with Fords and Chevy's who sled pull actually put 48RE's in their trucks cause they can be built to handle anything. Like I said earlier, I am doing 0 - 60 in 4.7 seconds. You might as well invest in your trans and make it last a lifetime rather than replacing it every 100,000 or less.

WH401
06-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I couldn't care what it looks like, performance and utility is more important. I hate the incessant chrome over everything on trucks. Simple interiors are FINE.

My thoughts exactly, a stripped truck w/ the best available engine would be my truck of choice.

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM

I agree with JDipstera:)

The Cummins ISB tends to eat stock torque converters switch to a billet single or triple disc billet converter, also the 47RE & 48RE have low line pressure, and soft shifts in stock form. A new valve body or T-FOD shift kit, along with new servo's & billet accumulators with triple seals will boost line pressure, that will just about make the 47RE & 48RE bulletproof.:)

The Dodge A518/618 47RE & 48RE are rock soild transmissions that do very well behind the Cummins. The Allison & Ford 4R100 & later models are also great transmissions each have their own weakness's knowledge is key in correcting the weak links, and no automatic diesel tranny is designed for more than 100hp/100ft/lbs over stock. I have tore up my share of automatics, be it gas or diesel, over the years, be it Ford, Dodge or GM. Once you get the cheap weak arse, OEM internals out, and replace with billet parts, new servo's & acumulators High performance frictions & Kolene steel's, new Triple disk billet Torque converters all will hold up well under a diesel's torque. I prefer the Dodge Cummins & the 47RE or 48RE, thier much easier to rebuild, and cost far less when it is time to rebuild vs a Allison. Building a good transmission is an art & science, with many tricks for each brand tranny. Dodge diesels will eat Ford & GM diesels all day with a good 47RE or 48RE

The more expensive the transmission in stock form the higher the cost to rebuild heavy duty. You can take the Allison & stick it were the sun don't shine. Do some research on the Suncoast "torqueflite" it's a 48RE for the Duramax diesel

Gravel Rat
06-09-2009, 12:35 AM
The Allison that is in the GM doesn't live up to the Allison name.

Gravel Rat
06-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Here is a truck some of you may get a woody over

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1206959159.html

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Id like to post on what gravel rat said about the 6.7 being a nightmare of a motor which is not true my friend has two of them a 5500 an a 3500. There both doing great they were both at the dealer once for a flash an thats it, the 5500 has about 15,000miles an the 3500 has almost 12,000miles he just did a DPF delete on the 3500 an it made the truck even better now that its not choked up, I also know a few other people that have 6.7 cummins an love them. they must be pretty good sence precision pipeline just got rid of there fords an got 6.7cummins. Also i dont know about you guys but id rather have a 6speed stick behind my cummins, But ya that 6.7 is junk. roll eyes

Glenn Lawn Care
06-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Really?, and a truck that looks like someone just stuck 4 wheels on a box and called it a day is better? At least Dodge has curves and overall depth to there design, the Ford design is about as interesting as watching snow melt.[/QUOTE]

i rather watch snow melt then own a dodge! why do you think chrysler is going bankrupt..... cuz they make ugly products that no one wants to buy.

pitrack
06-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Design has very little to do with a truck's worth to me. However it's interesting to me that as much as Ford hasn't actually changed the Super-Duty since 1999, it's amazing how much more chrome they have plated over various parts of it en-Mass! Also - what is the use of plastering Super Duty over the newest versions no less than five places??!! Insecure perhaps that people aren't going to know what it is driving at them? :hammerhead:
:clapping:

i rather watch snow melt then own a dodge! why do you think chrysler is going bankrupt..... cuz they make ugly products that no one wants to buy.

:laugh:
I'll stick with my Dodge any day of the week.

WH401
06-10-2009, 01:47 AM

You know what they say "Ford Owners Recommend Dodge".:laugh:

JDiepstra
06-10-2009, 07:26 AM
You know what they say "Ford Owners Recommend Dodge".:laugh:

Or

Found On Road Dead

Fixed Or Repaired Daily

nosparkplugs
06-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Same here:) local Pipe line ditched their Ford's for Dodge Cummins. I Played a small role in that I was continuelly just walking away from their Ford trucks towing more or the same weight. The deal sealer was when the manager towed with my Dodge Cummins, just snatched the Gooseneck & tractor around their Ford was struggling to tow.

Id like to post on what gravel rat said about the 6.7 being a nightmare of a motor which is not true my friend has two of them a 5500 an a 3500. There both doing great they were both at the dealer once for a flash an thats it, the 5500 has about 15,000miles an the 3500 has almost 12,000miles he just did a DPF delete on the 3500 an it made the truck even better now that its not choked up, I also know a few other people that have 6.7 cummins an love them. they must be pretty good sence precision pipeline just got rid of there fords an got 6.7cummins. Also i dont know about you guys but id rather have a 6speed stick behind my cummins, But ya that 6.7 is junk. roll eyes

Gravel Rat
06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Its all about gearing you can have a lawn mower engine pull any load.

The tow ratings for the province I live in mainly the coast what ever the manufacture says the truck is rated for you can subract 10-20%.

With a 12,000lb trailer behind a P/U truck and stop on a steep hill and try start off again forget it. I don't care what brand of diesel you have.

Say a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel with 4:10 gearing and a 12,000lb trailer will struggle to get the load rolling on a regular highway grade here.

The manufactures tow ratings are way over rated for hilly areas. They say a 2500 Dodge 4x4 Cummins with 4:10 gears can tow 13,150lbs good luck. If you ever had to make a complete stop on a hill you have no hope in h*ll getting that load rolling. Then the other problem holding that load with the brakes. Ford and Chevy are not and difference.

Maybe for flat land you can beleive the tow ratings for places where you have hills that can strain U joints and snap axle shafts you never max out with the tow ratings.

Nobody fools around with P/U trucks they are light duty trucks NOT meant for towing trailers every day. Around here if you towed a 13,000lb trailer every day you would have the truck worn out in 2 years. One thing you would be replacing ring and pinion sets on a regular basis. Transmissions will be up there too.

If you can't afford to operate a medium duty truck to tow trailers with then you shouldn't be in business. It doesn't make sense to buy a P/U truck to do a job that a International or Peterbilt single axle can do easier and last alot longer.

It is cheaper for us here in B.C. to buy parts for a 5 ton truck than it is for a P/U truck. I can buy brake parts cheaper for a tandem axle dump than I can for my F-450. Brake drums for a tandem dump are 80-100 dollars brake rotors for my F-450 are close to 200 dollars.

Nobody fools around with not having a CDL if you need a CDL you go get it. I have had one for 12 years its no big deal I went to driving school and got it.

Employees you hire MUST have a CDL you don't screw around. If the employee isn't skilled enough to get a CDL you don't want them anyhow.

This talk about how Dodge trucks tow better your still operating a light duty truck that is pushing its limits. You still have little brakes and weak parts that can break. All I can say is you are a very mickey mouse operation if you use a P/U truck to drag around a heavy trailer daily.

nosparkplugs
06-11-2009, 01:12 AM
GR,

You got to remember were not all in Canada were it's just so darn tough on Dodge trucks:) You make it sould like it's ok to tow 12,000lbs with a Ford P/U, but not a Dodge.

Like I have said before I tore up our 4R100 in the old 2002 F-350 7.3L three years ago towing the same Gooseneck & Kubota Tractor right at 13,500lbs give or take some weight that I am still towing with the 2002 Dodge Cummins 2500. Now I did rebuild the 47RE in the Dodge also three months ago at about $7,000, I have never torn up a rear end ever, or had brake issues that were not expected from towing heavy loads.

I will say no matter the brand truck once I got the OEM parts out be it a transmission or brakes, and replaced them with some high quality aftermarket parts I have never had the same problem again.

Without getting into a "pissing" match with you GR, it is cost effective for me to use a 2500/3500 with several trailers to tow as the job calls for.

I have no need to tow over 26,000lbs so a CDL is not needed for me. If I thought I would get some type of insurance discount or was required to have a CDL I would be the first in line for the application. I am sure I can get myself in trouble with my Dodge Cummins; just becuase it can tow a house does not make it legal.

My next truck might be a 4500/5500, but I must wait until I have the jobs to justify the need for that size of truck.

I have invested alot into my Dodge truck to ensure it tows safer better than most trucks, be it Ford or GM. Now for the money I have spent on this truck over the last 3 years I could have probably just went out & purchased a new 4500, and just had a big arse truck note, and thats it. I like to have extra money in my bank account, and upgrade my Dodge Cummins as needed

Heck with the government now in control of Dodge & GM we all might be driving Fords. Or Toyota will just step in with their Tundra 1-ton Hino diesel, and just kill Gm & Dodge. Then we will be longing these debates someday.

Its all about gearing you can have a lawn mower engine pull any load.

The tow ratings for the province I live in mainly the coast what ever the manufacture says the truck is rated for you can subract 10-20%.

With a 12,000lb trailer behind a P/U truck and stop on a steep hill and try start off again forget it. I don't care what brand of diesel you have.

Say a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel with 4:10 gearing and a 12,000lb trailer will struggle to get the load rolling on a regular highway grade here.

The manufactures tow ratings are way over rated for hilly areas. They say a 2500 Dodge 4x4 Cummins with 4:10 gears can tow 13,150lbs good luck. If you ever had to make a complete stop on a hill you have no hope in h*ll getting that load rolling. Then the other problem holding that load with the brakes. Ford and Chevy are not and difference.

Maybe for flat land you can beleive the tow ratings for places where you have hills that can strain U joints and snap axle shafts you never max out with the tow ratings.

Nobody fools around with P/U trucks they are light duty trucks NOT meant for towing trailers every day. Around here if you towed a 13,000lb trailer every day you would have the truck worn out in 2 years. One thing you would be replacing ring and pinion sets on a regular basis. Transmissions will be up there too.

If you can't afford to operate a medium duty truck to tow trailers with then you shouldn't be in business. It doesn't make sense to buy a P/U truck to do a job that a International or Peterbilt single axle can do easier and last alot longer.

It is cheaper for us here in B.C. to buy parts for a 5 ton truck than it is for a P/U truck. I can buy brake parts cheaper for a tandem axle dump than I can for my F-450. Brake drums for a tandem dump are 80-100 dollars brake rotors for my F-450 are close to 200 dollars.

Nobody fools around with not having a CDL if you need a CDL you go get it. I have had one for 12 years its no big deal I went to driving school and got it.

Employees you hire MUST have a CDL you don't screw around. If the employee isn't skilled enough to get a CDL you don't want them anyhow.

This talk about how Dodge trucks tow better your still operating a light duty truck that is pushing its limits. You still have little brakes and weak parts that can break. All I can say is you are a very mickey mouse operation if you use a P/U truck to drag around a heavy trailer daily.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-11-2009, 06:51 AM
I just read last night that the ECMs in the 6.7cummins after march are locked so now you cant chip those trucks till someone makes a code to get around it thats got a few people on cummins fourms pissed, but come on how much power do you need 350hp 650lbs of torque Id just want an intake a DPF back exhaust for my truck. I think the locking of the ECM is due to the government control!

pitrack
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I just read last night that the ECMs in the 6.7cummins after march are locked so now you cant chip those trucks till someone makes a code to get around it thats got a few people on cummins fourms pissed, but come on how much power do you need 350hp 650lbs of torque Id just want an intake a DPF back exhaust for my truck. I think the locking of the ECM is due to the government control!

I think they have already found ways around that, I have seen many people with their 6.7's rigged with a programmer or the like.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Im not totaly sure if they do or not all the 6.7s till march were not locked now they are, but i dont think it will be that hard to get around if you do want to get rid of the DPF.

nosparkplugs
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Some Tech nerd at Hypertech or Edge or any programmer company, is already working on the Hack:) if it has not already been done. All these newer diesels require is a DPF delete, everything I have read, and those sources have Dyno & real world numbers says the 6.7 Cummins is the best modern diesel to modify, and responds well to a programmer & DPF delete, that nets you the best MPG for a new diesel. Ford & GM do better left alone or stock

I am still hung up on the 5.9L Cummins for the money the Dodge trucks with these engines generate far more hp/torque for less money.

I am always looking for another 5.9L Cummins, and would be willing to invest some money into a used 2500/3500 to avoid a new emission strangled diesel.

At some point folks will realize it is better to keep these older Generation diesel's be it Ford, GM or Dodge when the EPA finally drops the hammer on these aftermarket companies. I will be hell rumor has it the EPA is going to ask for Customer lists it will be mandatory so I would advise all you diesel nuts to get your exhausts & programmers done now vs later. ATS diesel has already sent a letter to the EPA complaining, boycott ATS Why? because ATS is trying to corner the performance DPF filters buy selling out to the EPA

The EPA will have to hunt my trucks down to slap a DPF filter on them. Hopefully were going to be grandfathered in.

the Best solution just plant some nukes along the California fault line, and our problems will be solved:cool2:

Gravel Rat
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Why would you want to take a chance of voiding the warranty putting a tuner on a emmission engine truck.

The 6.7 isn't going to produce anymore power without some serious problems. The current stock power is already pushing the engines limits.

As for the ECM its all Dodge. Here in B.C. Cummins won't touch Dodge trucks with Cummins power they said Dodge uses a different computer program etc they want nothing to do with the engines.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Some Tech nerd at Hypertech or Edge or any programmer company, is already working on the Hack:) if it has not already been done. All these newer diesels require is a DPF delete, everything I have read, and those sources have Dyno & real world numbers says the 6.7 Cummins is the best modern diesel to modify, and responds well to a programmer & DPF delete, that nets you the best MPG for a new diesel. Ford & GM do better left alone or stock

I am still hung up on the 5.9L Cummins for the money the Dodge trucks with these engines generate far more hp/torque for less money.

I am always looking for another 5.9L Cummins, and would be willing to invest some money into a used 2500/3500 to avoid a new emission strangled diesel.

At some point folks will realize it is better to keep these older Generation diesel's be it Ford, GM or Dodge when the EPA finally drops the hammer on these aftermarket companies. I will be hell rumor has it the EPA is going to ask for Customer lists it will be mandatory so I would advise all you diesel nuts to get your exhausts & programmers done now vs later. ATS diesel has already sent a letter to the EPA complaining, boycott ATS Why? because ATS is trying to corner the performance DPF filters buy selling out to the EPA

The EPA will have to hunt my trucks down to slap a DPF filter on them. Hopefully were going to be grandfathered in.

the Best solution just plant some nukes along the California fault line, and our problems will be solved:cool2:

ya pretty much, Old ones are nice but some reason i like new! I know a couple people that have done deletes two on a 6.7 one on the new LMM duramax. They say its the best thing they have ever done an the dealer for the guy with the gm said they wont void warranty but if something goes wrong with the truck emission related it will cost to fix anything esle its under warranty. His trucks pretty nice he use to be a mechanic at the dealer so he got a nice discount, an he has his own garage so all his extra money goes to his truck:cool2:!

Gravel you must hate the cummins motors period! you need to check out cumminsforum theres guys on there with 600+hp an 1200+lbs of torque with dnyo sheets to prove it.

Gravel Rat
06-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Nope I don't hate Cummins I do think its funny how much people are brainwashed about the 5.9 and 6.7. Play with real engines not frigging toys.

Sorry you want power get a N-14 Cummins or a ISX that puts out a real 600hp and over 1800 ftlbs of torque.

I don't need to spend 10s of thousands to boost my ego. I guess its a hobby to some but man I have better things to spend money on. You wonder why your country is so deep in debt.

It also makes me laugh on how much big rig wannabe people are here. Think you have a truck with a Cummins you think your a big rig.

Get your CDL and drive a truck.

ZTR_Diesel
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Frankly, I thought we were grown up folks here - I thought this sort of bashing of people and thier possensions was left behind in High School. Oh well, guess "the metal they drive really DOES make the Man." :hammerhead::gmctruck:

pitrack
06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Nope I don't hate Cummins I do think its funny how much people are brainwashed about the 5.9 and 6.7. Play with real engines not frigging toys.

Sorry you want power get a N-14 Cummins or a ISX that puts out a real 600hp and over 1800 ftlbs of torque.

I don't need to spend 10s of thousands to boost my ego. I guess its a hobby to some but man I have better things to spend money on. You wonder why your country is so deep in debt.

It also makes me laugh on how much big rig wannabe people are here. Think you have a truck with a Cummins you think your a big rig.

So what do you spend your money on that is so much better than someone spending money on their truck? Please enlighten me. Who cares what people spend their money on, it's THEIR money leave it be. Go play with your V-10.:rolleyes:

Frankly, I thought we were grown up folks here - I thought this sort of bashing of people and thier possensions was left behind in High School. Oh well, guess "the metal they drive really DOES make the Man." :hammerhead::gmctruck:

:laugh:

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
all I can say is not everyone needs a CDL or a big rig for that matter, I for one dont think the pickups are big rigs, I know the power of rigs my cuz owns a few dumpers one with a 600hp ISX an eaton fuller 18speed, all raped up in a peterbilt pretty nice setup for a tri axle he loves his trucks drives them to wal mart when he needs to go, more power to him I cant hardly find a parting spot for a pickup let alone tri axle. lol I do agree though gravel semis are were real diesel powers at.

JDiepstra
06-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Please tell me which pickup manufacture offers one of those engines in their truck. Also, tell me, which of those trucks offers 20+ MPG highway, or 15 mpg city towing a trailer? Also, which of those trucks runs 0-60 in 4.7 seconds like mine does? Im greatful I don't have a big rig. For my needs, waste of fuel, too slow, oh, and ugly.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Please tell me which pickup manufacture offers one of those engines in their truck. Also, tell me, which of those trucks offers 20+ MPG highway, or 15 mpg city towing a trailer? Also, which of those trucks runs 0-60 in 4.7 seconds like mine does? Im greatful I don't have a big rig. For my needs, waste of fuel, too slow, oh, and ugly.

Ugly are you kidding most big rigs look better than some pickups.

mag360
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM

[/QUOTE=Gravel Rat;3037841]The problem I'am finding with my 6.0 is the truck is powering out. I have a 6spd manual and if I get into a place with a load on the truck the truck won't pull from a stop. Say I'am backing down a driveway and I need to pull ahead put the truck in Low (first gear) you get to the friction point and try give it some throttle the engine stalls.[/QUOTE]

You should probably do that too so you stop getting stuck on hills with the 6.0 :laugh:

Gravel Rat
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
My F-450 weighs 9700lbs empty that is more than the gvw on a Dodge 3/4 ton. I also have 4:30 gears not low enough good for the highway but get into a place where the driveway has 12-14% grade. The 6.0 has the rotten programing that limits any kind of throttle at low rpms to prevent black smoke.

As I have said there are some places with concrete driveways steep enough that require 4 wheeldrive to climb them.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-13-2009, 05:45 AM
your not really comparing apples to apples here with a F450 to Ram 2500HD, one of the nicest trucks ive been in would be a 2008 F450 pickup with the lariat package real nice setup they have but Im not a fan of them only going to keep this motor for a few years an drop it like a bad habit. The cummins is a good motor I feel its in the wrong truck an the duramax is a good strong motor with a good strong tranny to back it up with so take your pick really they all have there ups an downs.

milike
03-02-2010, 06:45 PM
check this guy out

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6038467/

.:cool2:

DoetschOutdoor
03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
check this guy out

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6038467/

.:cool2:

That is one of the funniest things I have seen lately!!!! Im hopefully gonna have a "Cummings" diesel here in the next few weeks myself and that video was too good! Funny as hell how much horsepower some people add from all them bolt ons.

pitrack
03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
[/QUOTE=Gravel Rat;3037841]The problem I'am finding with my 6.0 is the truck is powering out. I have a 6spd manual and if I get into a place with a load on the truck the truck won't pull from a stop. Say I'am backing down a driveway and I need to pull ahead put the truck in Low (first gear) you get to the friction point and try give it some throttle the engine stalls.

You should probably do that too so you stop getting stuck on hills with the 6.0 :laugh:[/QUOTE]

:laugh: haha

Gravel Rat
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
You should probably do that too so you stop getting stuck on hills with the 6.0 :laugh:

:laugh: haha[/QUOTE]

I have a 2006 F-450 now with the torqshift it makes a big difference had the truck grossing a little over 17,000lbs and I could climb the 12% grade driveway where I was delivering to with no problems.

My brothers POS Dodge he puts 2500lbs of weight on the back the truck barely moves. He needs a new transmission it is on its way out with 230,000kms (143,000 miles). Needs a new injection pump too.

I can put 7000lbs on my truck and gross 17,000lbs and still beat my brother up the hills with his empty truck which is 10,000lbs lighter.

Ya apples to oranges but the 12 valve is a gutless pig. One of my brothers friends who owns a 96 12 valve wants to put a fuel plate in the injection pump he is sick of driving a underpowered POS.

TXNSLighting
03-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Yal need to make a video!! Its halarious!

DoetschOutdoor
03-03-2010, 10:20 PM
:laugh: haha

I have a 2006 F-450 now with the torqshift it makes a big difference had the truck grossing a little over 17,000lbs and I could climb the 12% grade driveway where I was delivering to with no problems.

My brothers POS Dodge he puts 2500lbs of weight on the back the truck barely moves. He needs a new transmission it is on its way out with 230,000kms (143,000 miles). Needs a new injection pump too.

I can put 7000lbs on my truck and gross 17,000lbs and still beat my brother up the hills with his empty truck which is 10,000lbs lighter.

Ya apples to oranges but the 12 valve is a gutless pig. One of my brothers friends who owns a 96 12 valve wants to put a fuel plate in the injection pump he is sick of driving a underpowered POS.[/QUOTE]

My buddy has a last year 12 valve and swears by it...Im getting ready to get a late model 24 valve...Ill give ya report here just as soon as I track the baby down and bring her home!

WH401
03-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Ya apples to oranges but the 12 valve is a gutless pig. One of my brothers friends who owns a 96 12 valve wants to put a fuel plate in the injection pump he is sick of driving a underpowered POS.

Not to mention that theirs about a 10 year age difference between your 6.0 and his 12 valve, which obviously is going to heavily effect performance. :rolleyes::hammerhead: And his 5.9 must not be that bad if he's still driving it 14 years later.

Wow, a Dodge that has lasted 14 years in BC, who'da thought we'd ever see that day.:rolleyes:

Gravel Rat
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
The 12 valve is good for fuel mileage and it is fairly reliable. The 24 valve is more power but it has its problems aswell.

The 5.9 Common rail is the better engine.

Gravel Rat
03-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Not to mention that theirs about a 10 year age difference between your 6.0 and his 12 valve, which obviously is going to heavily effect performance. :rolleyes::hammerhead: And his 5.9 must not be that bad if he's still driving it 14 years later.

Wow, a Dodge that has lasted 14 years in BC, who'da thought we'd ever see that day.:rolleyes:

Like I said the truck has 230,000 kilometers (143,000 miles) my brother is the second owner. Truck belonged to a old guy bought it brandnew my brother bought it 4 years ago and has put about 100,000kms (62,000 miles) on it.

Right now my brother can't put a load on it and rev past 2000 rpm it bogs out and gets air in the fuel system then stalls. Put 2500-3000lbs in the box of the truck and it barely climbs hills at 40km/h (25 mph). Transmission is shifting up down it constantly trying to maintain any speed. So he knows its transmission time. The injection pump needs replacing aswell.

The thing that has saved the truck was it never spent any time in road salt for 80% of its life most trucks in that year are rusted out.

As I said once the transmission craps out in the Dodge my brother will put his spare truck back on the road which is a Ford with a 7.3 Powerstroke.

pitrack
03-04-2010, 01:19 AM
My brothers POS Dodge he puts 2500lbs of weight on the back the truck barely moves. .

Really? Come on dude.