PDA

View Full Version : edging question

patio_guy
05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
hey guys,

quick rookie question. I'm thinkin of putting down snapedge for my walkway/patio project and was wondering if I require edging on the house side of my path? I'm guessing not, as it seems the house would serve to contain the 1inch stone dust and stones? Is this correct? Or is there something I dont know about that would make it better to have the edging all around path/patio ...

thx,
Steve

nowayklown
05-31-2009, 12:40 AM
no the house will serve as an edge just fine. no need to waste extra money to edge an edge.

patio_guy
06-01-2009, 09:22 AM
thx - I went ahead assuming this. While on this topic, 1 more question. I'm at the point where I've got all my pavers down and am about to go rent saw to cut edge pieces. I used about 1 3/8 stone dust base which brings bottom of pavers fairly close to top of snapedge, maybe 3/8 of 'edge' left. Is there a problem with this (ie. too little)?

Also, there 1 3/4 inch pavers so I've been told not to go over w/vibrating plate as they'll break - any tips on how best to get them tamped in??

thx,
Steve

nowayklown
06-01-2009, 07:40 PM
you can tamp them in manually with a hand tamper. and if they are good brick the vibrating tamper shouldnt break them just be careful by the edges as they will break there... done that one lol. just make sure you put a top layer of the sand on the patio and that will act as a buffer between the tamper and the bricks nothing too ridiculous but enough to buffer the large piece of steel moving around. but if you are still not sure test it on an area that you can easily replace a few bricks if they do break and see what happens. also if you dont go full throttle with the tamper and turn it down a little it wont put out as much force.