PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing info about Honda trimmers

toby
04-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Went trimmer shopping today. Looked at Honda's (2 cycle), Kaw, & Echo. Phasing out the Sthils (too many carb problems).
Best price was the Honda 2 cycle (4 cycles too heavy).
However, according to dealer, the Honda 2 cycle is identical to the old Sthil 76 (same engine). Also Honda only offers a 90 day warranty on their trimmers, the rest offer one year.
Also according to dealer there will be a 4 cycle Sthil next year that runs with MIXED gas.
Is my dealer on crack?

Scotlawncare
04-03-2002, 09:11 PM
Toby, check on the stihl's that have the adjustable carbs. I have heard from my dealer that stihl is going back to them and they are in the new fs85's. I have one of the old non adjustable ones and had to purchase a new carb when mine wouldn't run right. Don't rule out stihl's just yet. See if your dealer has one that has the adjustable carb on it. You will not be sorry if you get it.

Scot

vipermanz
04-04-2002, 04:06 AM
i got a stihl brochure today that states a new fs-250 can take out the occasional water moccasin!!!!!!

Richard Martin
04-04-2002, 05:10 AM
Toby wrote:

Is my dealer on crack?

No, he isn't. A bunch of maufacturers are going to this type of lubrication system for 4 stroke engines including Shindaiwa.

The reason for this is pretty basic. It's simplier, cheaper and lighter weight than the more coventional 4 stroke lube system that Honda is currently using.

You're probably wondering to yourself "But they are still burning oil with the gas, isn't that an emissisons problem?".

No. The emissions problem with 2 strokes is that too many unburned hydrocarbons (raw fuel) are going out of the exhaust.

In a 2 stroke engine the exhaust ports and the intake ports are both open at the same time so every time the engine goes through that cycle some of the unburned fuel goes right out the exhaust.

In a 4 stroke engine the exhaust process and the intake process are completely seperated thereby eliminating most of the problem of unburned fuel going out the exhaust.

John Gamba
04-04-2002, 06:57 AM
Toby
Scot Is Wright. Stihl Learned A Leson On The Carb's. I Have two New sthil They Run Great:D
Johnny G.:cool: :cool:
LAWN1ONE CT.

A.U.steve
04-04-2002, 06:28 PM
Vipermanz

l took out an Eastern Brown with a Shindaiwa thats pretty scary considering it's the second dealiest snake in the world.

Steve

vipermanz
04-05-2002, 04:36 AM
i would have been afraid it would come up the shaft!!!!!!!!

A.U.steve
04-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Vipermanz

l took it's head off, nearly **** myself, imagine if the head had flown back and hit me, the fangs could have gone in.

Steve

ow man
04-06-2002, 12:59 AM
Richard, Great explanation on the emissions theory. You are absolutly correct. (souds like you have a little mechanical background) Also did you know that Redmax's Stratocharged engines use a two throat carb. One is air-fuel mix, the other is air only. Just prior to the fuel-air mix entering the cylinder, the air only is pulled in and pushed to the exhaust port side, making a clean air barrier that traps the raw mixture so little to none escapes. The result, Phase 2 cleaner air that uses a cosiderable less amount of fuel. BOY OH BOY the technology of today!!!

totallpm
04-06-2002, 01:40 AM
We just picked up our new stihl yesterday. They all have adjustable carbs and run awesome. They had a few old in stock but after the advice of you all we made sure they were adjustable. And you can not beat the warantee.

four 85 trimmers
two 85 straight shaft stick edgers (they rock)
one 85 split boom with trimmer, 90" hedge trimmer and tiller
two 85 blowers

Kevin Total Landscaping

Shady Brook
04-07-2002, 12:01 AM
My parts guy warned me that Stihls are more expensive to repair, as they constantly change parts unlike Echo. I found out the hard way on a FS80. Trigger assmebly was acting up, trigger was stiff. Ran fine, but it was always full throttle. Parts guy said you can not always order individual parts with Stihl. Cost me $115 to have a trigger assmebly and throttle cable installed. I thought I put the spring in incorrectly, Wow, that is about half of a new machine. I am phasing out my stihls even though they have impressive power.

Hope your happy with whatever trimmer you choose.

Jay

MikeLT1Z28
04-07-2002, 05:49 AM
the only trouble i have from my stihl is when i am edging with it, upright it just bogs sometimes and i have to clear it out. now trimming level... don't get in the way!

HOMER
04-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Mike................that's why they make and EDGER !!!!!!!!!!

The newest Stihl trimmer I bought was giving me trouble too. I finally took it back to the dealer with the attitude that he could fix it or keep it. I got it back and it's running fine now (after 2 visits). The dealer claimed the muffler was stopped up. I find that hard to believe since the thing only had a couple hours on it. Anyway...........it works now.

Took my BR400 blower in at the same time. Had it at another dealer and had the carb rebuilt. I think they checked the muffler then. Dealer that fixed trimmer says the only thing wrong with the blower was the MUFFLER WAS STOPPED UP!

It runs like a champ now too...............stronger than new it seems like.

Makes me wonder though:confused:

Never discard old trimmers or edgers. I just replaced the trigger assembly and throttle cable on one of my older ones using a junk trimmer for parts. I didn't realize I was saving myself that much money ($115.00)..........glad I did it now.

MikeLT1Z28
04-07-2002, 02:33 PM
oh yeah, i am familiar with the FC85.. my dealer has had them on order for a few MONTHS now. when they get them in i'll be picking it up.

i have a br420, albeit that it's new, it runs like a champ. still have the screen on the muffler.

dbrody
04-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Does the 'old' and 'new' Stihl apply to the FC-85? If so, how can I tell if my dealer has the 'new' Stihl (FC-85) as opposed to the 'old'?

Will the 'old' model just have no carb adjustment screw(s)?

Is there anything else to look for?

Dave

Brickman
04-10-2002, 01:20 AM
You might want to check out the Redmax trimmer. I have had one that is now going into its 4th season and runs like an ox. I won't let employees touch it. It is MY trimmer, I have the handles adjusted to suit me, and another one for the employees to use.
(this is a little off the Honda issue) LOL

:blob2: :blob4: :blob3:

CLM1103
04-10-2002, 06:30 AM
Homer...I have had the same problem with my Stihl equipment clogging up the exhaust ports often. After talking toseveral mechanics, I found the problem to be not running engine "wide open." I also went to higher octane gas and have not had a problem since.