PDA

View Full Version : Got fired today!

sheppard
04-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Here's the senario: Have been doing this lady for 3 months. Last week she calls me and says " I do not like the schedule you've got me on- you're coming only once a month". I agreed with her since rhat is what she requested I do. Then I said "April starts my twice a month visits- I'm due to your place next week (today)".

So today comes and at the end of the cut she comes out of the house and says "I'm terminating the contract right now... I cannot tell that you even cut the grass!!!" I assured her I did but her mind was made up.

Here are some mitigating factors that may help some of you in giving me some advice which I really do want.

1. She had rye grass put in a month before I got the contract. Fired that LCO as well. She called me because I put a flyer in her mail box. She has HUGE water oak trees and the leaves fall in bucket fulls. The St. Aug. is mostly dormant.

2. I do not bag- I mulch. When I'm through, her yard at this time of the year really does not look all that good after a cut. She said "All I see is your tire tracks!"

My gut tells me she likes fireing people- (she's from Miami). My gut also tells me she will fire the next LCO as well.

Any thoughts? Advice? Am I missing the obvious?

Cordially,
Sheppard

rodfather
04-03-2002, 06:36 PM
walk and don't look back...it ain't worth it for 1 or even 2 cuts per month.

General Grounds
04-03-2002, 08:35 PM
yep walk away, get paid, and load the supersoaker up w/, well you know, just kiddin:p

sheppard
04-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Some kind of revenge action? Not that I'm opposed to it...

Cordially,
Sheppard

BRIAN GALLO
04-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Some customers are constant "lookers". They think if they stick with one lco too long they'll miss out on something that someone else has to offer. Usually you can spot these types early because when they call you the first time they tell you about the other 800 guys they have had in the past! It doesn't matter how good you do - they are bound to move on and add you to the list of has-beens. I wouldn't sweat it, you will probably see 2-3 more guys out there this season.

LawnLad
04-03-2002, 08:53 PM
One of the first questions I ask to prequalify a sketchy caller is "have you worked with a landscaper before?" When they say yes, I ask why are you changing companies? If I get suspicious, I'll start asking how long did you have the company, how about the one before, and before that and before that and on and on. I'll ask them again why they're changing service. Usually by then I'm dont talking with them after listening to them tell me about the past five guys. It wasn't the past five guys... it was the customer. They'll never be satisfied.

yardboyltd
04-03-2002, 09:18 PM
That's A type of person you have to deal with in this industry. Don't waste your time thinking about it, let alone posting about it...

Shawn Burns
04-03-2002, 09:24 PM
Like earlier stated, these kinds of people will never be happy. It dosen't matter how hard you try. I had a ccustomer like her for a season, and still mow three lawns around her. No matter what i did, she always said "this doesen't look right, that's not how i like it ", etc.,etc.. Now all i do is take a few extra minutes on the other three to make them look better than hers, and it works! She has tried to get me back several times and i just tell her my schedule is full. I can tell it burns her up! That's all the revenge i need.

yardman1
04-03-2002, 09:34 PM
just ride by her house one night and throw a 5 pound bag of salt in her yard. ha, see how she likes that! just kidding..... I would not let that worry me one bit, had a lady that went through LCO's like a pair of underwear and i lost that account about 3 months into it. I would not let it bother me at all!:angel:

GreenIsland
04-03-2002, 10:37 PM
It appears she did you a favor. I have had customers just like her-- always complaining about something not relating to me-- One lady told me I got paint on her garage floor and I had never been in her garage-- SHe failed to think maybe the painting crew that was painting her home 2 days before may have did it . She also told me in another incident that I forgot to remove two small trees and that I better get it done--and I had already cut them down the previous week. I was also fired because I did not go to church- (very very small community)- the lady asked me if I went to church every sunday- I replied no-- because at the time I also worked for the government split shifts-- she told me to pack my stuff up-- that was about the strangest thing but I can say with experince people love to play games, play boss, and fire someone. Particularly if I hear thestory that the previous people took this or that, or never showed up story I am pretty wary and that I am in for a game player. I might add the ones that never pay are also the quickest ones to have some story about previous workers or the most complaints. Unfortunately we must weed out the bad clients through bad experience to us. I just give them my best, and if they want to play games I accepet it and consider myself fortunate not to have to work for them anymore. Life is just too short- expecially to feel bad about pleasing someone that probably can not be pleased. Let her ruin some unprofessional-substandard working and lazy persons day-- then she will get what she deserves.

Ramsey's Lawn Care
04-03-2002, 11:34 PM
Been there, done that!! Had a lady once try to tell me I wasn't showing up to mow her yard, but I was there once a week. I told her I would landscape her yard. I asked her several times what type of plant's she would like and I even gave her two landscaping books to look at to get an idea. I show up to mow and she started telling me I was not dependable and I asked her about her landscaping, if she wanted me to do it. She had the nerve to tell me I haven't been dependable on that. And to beat it all, I never got my books back. Later I found out she got someone else to mow her yard and her landscaping looks like something out of the books I gave her. Green house and all!!:angry:

cajuncutter
04-04-2002, 12:11 AM
Sheppard I take it this is a 12 month account? If so I know how you feel. Down here when I do a 12 month agreement it is based on 42 visits a year. During the winter months visits are limited. I do the same as you however it is a little mild down here and the weeds are really growing on those that did not want to do weed and feed. However if the customer takes it upon themselves to throw out winter rye then the price will go up if I have to cut that gumy crap every week during the winter. I simply explain that this was not figured in to the quote and the quote was based on 42 visits. Heck I wouldn't sweat it. I had a customer that had already been through 5 lco's and I was number 6. The account lasted 3 months and along came number 7 and so on and so on. There are people out there that you can never please. Good luck!!:)

proline32
04-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Aw, go ahead and toss a gallon of white vinegar on her yard one night just for the hell of it......... with all the LCO's she's dumped she'll never be able to prove who did it..;)

JR LeGer
04-04-2002, 12:43 AM
I agree with all of the other posters--be glad you are done with her.

Our business has grown about 25% since we weeded out some of the customers that are overly anal to an extent that is absolutely absurd.

I look at time as much as money and if people are always running out to make some comment or calling us because the wind blew a leaf into their yard 3 days after it was serviced and they need an emergency after hours response team to remove it for free...etc..get rid of them before they get rid of you. We just went through and cancelled about 10 accounts and I could not be happier.

Say you have 100 customers and 3 of them constantly complain no matter what you do. Get rid of them. I would rather be rid of the headache and lost time than keep them and have them tell 20 or 30 people every day how bad you are. I am in a county with over 4 million people so it is different from a town with 1500 people, but that is how we run things here.

Anyway, good riddance.

Joe

65hoss
04-04-2002, 01:12 AM
No big deal, move on to a real customer. Keep you head up.

johnhenry
04-04-2002, 01:48 AM
Sheppard as long as you have been here and reading your post. I can tell .You are a pro. Its her lost not yours. The next guy she will have wont be have as good.

Planter
04-04-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by BRIAN GALLO
Some customers are constant "lookers". They think if they stick with one lco too long they'll miss out on something that someone else has to offer.

I ran into the same problem last week. Friend of my wife's sees us at dinner. Wants to know if I will look at his mother's lawn. I say sure, I'll look for him. Then the story comes out. They have another company doing it (I don't usually do cuts). I know the company and they do great work. He complains that they are only there 30 minutes (two guys) and they do crappy work. I ask what they do that's not up to standard. He tells me they leave tire prints on the sidewalk and driveway. I tell him I don't do maintenance, just installs, and RUN the other way.

Some people are NEVER satisfied. They want it done like they have a full-time staff of ten gardeners and a Phd in horticulture as the foreman. I suppose they don't understand that it costs money to do business and the goal is to make money. Charity work has its place from time to time, but as a full-time endeavor charity work is for the Boy Scouts.

GreenGrassman
04-04-2002, 03:12 AM
I agree with the others. You don't need to deal with people like this. I also try to weed them out (no Pun Intended)before taking the job. This week I am going to turn down a $24.000 job in a trailer cort, because they are complaining about the company that is there now, the place looks great ! Flowerbeds are picked clean. hedges are trimmed well. grass is well maintained. still they complain. I don't wan't to be the company going through that next year. My name is worth a lot more than that.:D

DaddyRabbit
04-04-2002, 07:08 AM
If she's in Miami then chances are she's from NY originally which usually means there's no dealing with her anyway. I'd say," be glad she's gone". Lifes too short.

sheppard
04-04-2002, 07:59 AM
Got some good advice- thanks. That rye grass is a bear to deal with when oak leaves are falling in buckets.

Sounds like many of you have been where I was.

Keep weeding out the 'bad apples'!

Cordially,
Sheppard

jeffyr
04-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by sheppard

Any thoughts? Advice? Am I missing the obvious?

Cordially,
Sheppard

Looks like you caught the obvious. She hires and fire all the time. It was your turn for her and thats all.

Don't look back since it is probably a blessing.
Go have a drink and celebrate.
jeffyr

bridges
04-04-2002, 08:43 PM
Like everyone is saying , forget about it and be happy about it.

I had this customer that was a pain in my a**. For two years

He lives in ny(upstate). He comes down here on the weekends and stays at is condo.

He is the president of the condo's. Well like clock work he would call every friday night around 8:30 . I'm telling you he is a pain!

When i first got the I had to redo the lawn. No one there would water. So the next year(last year sept.2001). He wanted me reseed the bad spot the lawn.

I do the job and send the bill. He said I did not tell you to redo the lawn. He did not want to pay the bill and he was thinking of getting someone else to do the lawn. Also says to rebid the job.

Oh the did not grow because of me . saying I did not fertlize the lawn right.

He calls the next weekend asking for the bid. I said I'm not going to bid, because i'm not going to work for you any more. So I left him.
He wanted me to do the fall clean up and the snow plowing. I said no! go look for someone else.

And now i'm happy.