PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Replacement Motor

turfinator
04-03-2002, 05:20 PM
I'm about to replace an older 5hp Briggs motor on my Blue Bird Lawn Comber with possibly a 6hp Kohler Command Pro motor. The price on the motor is $299 canadian funds. Has anyone had any experience with this motor either positive or negative and does this price seem decent?

General Grounds
04-03-2002, 07:29 PM
turfinator, scrap the kohler. go with the honda, may cost a little more $, but will last 3x's longer. tony

kermit
04-03-2002, 11:19 PM
Go to Princess Auto and get a Honda 5HP for your $299 can. I know there is at least one Princess in Winnepeg as that is their headquarters.

turfinator
04-04-2002, 12:39 AM
I do recall seeing at Princess Auto 2 different Honda motors. One is supposed to be rated at 300 hrs (GC engine) and on is rated at 5000 hrs (general purpose engines). Not sure I exactly understand what that means, but the GC is $349 and the other is $500. Is the Kohler so bad that its not worth saving the extra cash. These mahines get worked hard for about 3 weeks a year. I'm also into into bikes so I know Honda makes a quality product but Ive never tried any of their small engines on any lawn equipment.

kermit
04-04-2002, 11:11 AM
I think they are worth the extra $'s. I have had nothing but problems with Kohler engines. The Hondas are quiet, easy start and a lot easier on fuel.

Princess usually has a Honda engine or two on sale a couple of times as year, usually in the Spring and Fall. I bought ours for $188 last time they were on sale.

Ray&Christine
04-04-2002, 03:41 PM
I don't think you can go to far wrong with Honda or Kohler engines. My first Kohler I owned is now almost 8 years old without having any trouble at all with it. One thing I can say about Honda is that they stand behind their products, my log splitter has a 5 h.p. Honda after 2 years of use it started running rough, we took it to the dealer and it turned out they had a problem with some of the crankshafts, so they repalced no-charge under warranty.

Ray

turfinator
04-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Just came back from Princess Auto and they dont have any cheap Honda motors. Occassionaly they buy surplus-lots of motors and the one you got for $199 was likely one of them. The guy there told me its basically like a garage sale...you have to come back every week to see what they get. It seems as far as the retailers that carry engines, the time to buy is in the fall/winter as prices go down alot. I might just get the Kohler as the price is right.