PDA

View Full Version : Lost Customer

Mack
04-03-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm in my second season and last year I bid a job for $50.00. After the first cut I realized I had underbid. I did not considered the large amount of trimming and this customer as it turns out is very particular with his lawn. He had a construction project last year that added to the amount of mowing this year. I explained this to him and rebid the job this year and doubled his rate to $100.00. I did my research and am confident that my bid this year was competitive for the area. As expected he dropped me. In the future how should I handle this situation so a customer does not think I am jerking him around?

Twotoros
04-03-2002, 06:12 PM
After the first mow(do it for the low price) I would explain that I did a major screw up on the bid. Re-bid it and tell him to get more bids if he would like. I would rather lose it right away than do it for half price for 30+ weeks.

rodfather
04-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Do what I do when i'm not real sure how much it will be...ask him if you can cut it once (even twice) to help you get an idea of how much you are going to charge.

Say to him, "look in all fairness to you and me, can i cut it once so I can get an idea of what the job is worth. I don't want to cut myself short, nor do I want to charge yo more than what's fair?"

Never had any body in 8 years turn me down on that request.

gogetter
04-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Rodfather, what do you do in the event that they don't agree with the price you give them after you've cut it?

I sorta thought about doing this for this year because I am going to be targeting some larger lawns then I did last year and am having a hard time figuring how long thier gonna take.

Doc Pete
04-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Rod Father, IMO, has the right idea. This is exactly how I approach an unknown lawn. I tell the customer I will cut the lawn once for an agreed amount. If it is worth more, I will tell him, but still charge him the orginal agreed price. He can then accept the new bit or look elsewhere. After 19 years of mowing, if you are fair to the customer, those that you lose for your honestly aren't worth having. And, there "are" plenty of jobs for honest workers.
Pete
For Pete's Sake

AielLandscaping
04-03-2002, 10:24 PM
i've come up with a mathematical formula to figure out how long a lawn should take just recently.. it seems to be extremely accurate with what i've tested it on so far.. it works based on a 21" honda but i'm sure i could modify it to fit any size mower if i wanted to in case anyones interested..