PDA

View Full Version : what to do with large area

wildstarblazer
05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Any ideas what can be added to this large wasted area?

esnipe8
05-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Needs some change in elevation. Maybe a raised patio/pergola, or even some simple mounding will make a huge difference.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-28-2009, 12:03 AM
A soccer goal on each end?

AGLA
05-28-2009, 07:26 AM
What you do on a site should be driven by how the property owner intends to use it. Why is it there in the first place? When they use it, what do they do there? What other things would the property owners like to do on their property that they are not doing now?

Form follows function. It makes no sense to stuff things into a space just to make it seem smaller unless there is compelling reason to do that.

Someone has made that isolated space by putting in the fence (pool?) and cutting it off from the other part of the site. If the fence was not there, the space would not seem wasted.

Why was it cleared in the first place? If they don't want the open space, you could restore a woodland planting.

Dreams To Designs
05-28-2009, 11:00 AM
I have lot's of ideas, and my rates are reasonable. Site analysis and client interview should dictate the intention of that space. Many folks might want the wide open lawn area for recreation or sports, others may want a few garden islands, scarcely planted and some may look at that as the potential for an amazing garden with rooms and trails.

Kirk

Mickhippy
05-28-2009, 06:32 PM
A putting green!

grandview (2006)
05-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I like it just the way it is!

Isobel
05-28-2009, 08:20 PM
short BS answer: park some old cars in there and bring down the neighborhood.

real answer:
I agree with AGLA, what does the homeowner want? Patio, deck, rock garden, water feature, sitting area with fire pit. the possibilities are endless, what you need is some input from the client...

wildstarblazer
05-28-2009, 09:51 PM
The previous owners installed the fence. the lady who owns the home now is not against expanding it. She wants a pool and outdoor kitchen etc..
However there is plenty of room for that closer to the house behind the fence. I don't think it would be right to walk so far to get to the entertainment area, fire pit, pool etc..
They don't have kids or pets so who knows what function it could have besides strolling area etc..

This is one of those clients that really doesn't know what she wants...

AGLA
05-29-2009, 07:06 AM
"... really does not know what she wants." I bet she can tell you what she does not want.

This is the other half of being a landscape designer - facilitation. You need to use your experience to work your client through a process that makes it clear to you what she needs which will then empower you to make it clear to her what she wants.

You need to develop your skills at getting into your clients' heads in order to move forward with them. You can't carry them through if you don't go over to where they are and move forward together. That makes them feel like everything is partly their idea - because it does come from them.

People know what they want. Many don't know what form it takes to get them what they want. The difficulty comes when we think about specific items rather than whatever it is that they are after. It is way to easy to jump to menu items like "a pool", or "an outdoor kitchen". These are not goals, but things that support a goal or at least support objectives that meet the goal.

Everything you do should be in response to some objective. Sometimes they are so generic that you don't have to list them out, so it does not seem that way. That is just because you process it so quickly that it becomes intuitive. It falls apart when you try to do less generic things without processing it - like deciding a patio would look good over there, or a pool will fit over here.

In my opinion, 80% of a landscape design is done before a line is drawn on a plan. It comes from working goals and objectives out of a clients. After that it is a matter of making it fit the site.

wildstarblazer
05-29-2009, 08:26 PM
good tips!