PDA

View Full Version : BR600 Maintenance

chrisclang
05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I recently moved into a home, and stocked up on Stihl equipment to handle my yard. I bought a BR600 used - well used, that is.

Couldnt get it to start at first, and took it to the dealer - had to replace the flywheel. I asked him if the carb and valves looked good, and they did to him.

I'm running 93 with orange in my first tank - but know I should switch to ultra. Will do that.

Today - I was running the blower and the power went down to about half and stayed there. Not sure what is going on - but I'm not wanting to take it back to the dealer...I'm thinking I need to give the carb a good cleaning.

Problem is - I've never messed much with power equipment, but can handle my own mechanically. Is this something I can do? I found a service manual - so I'll have that by my side.

Or - should I try things like Seafoam or Deep Clean first?

HenryB
05-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Sell it on ebay "as is" and buy a new one You'll see down the road this was good advice.

mcdc6
05-27-2009, 09:57 PM
the valves are gonna need adjustment. Unless you are very mechanically inclined wouldn't bother with it. talk to your dealer, should be more than a hour of labor and a gasket

chrisclang
05-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Should be more or less than an hour of labor?

mowerknower
05-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Valve adjustments are easy. Remove the starter, then the shroud, then the valve cover. I believe you adjust them to .001. Not sure I always use stihl special feeler guage. It takes 10 minutes tops. Stihl does recommend that you replace th valve cover gasket when you adjust it. Also make sure you check for cracks in the fuel line and clean fuel filter

chrisclang
05-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm going to give the valve adjustment a try. Will go today to get the tool. I'll keep you guys posted.

treemonkey
05-31-2009, 10:20 PM
I vaguely remember our BR600 "maybe" having the flywheel replaced free under a factory recall...it might shatter???

Something to check out.

chrisclang
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Checked the valves and adjusted them this weekend. Runs a lot better - pulls a lot easier. Process was a snap - and I'm thinking it fixed my problem. I'll post if otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestions.

topsites
06-01-2009, 12:14 AM
You know, P.T. Barnum was right.
There's a sucker born every minute.

Does anyone here even know what SeaFoam is made of?

I'll help along, so that SeaFoam devouts know what they've been paying for...
Pale crude (yes, lightly refined raw petrol), Lantern fuel (or naphta), and rubbing alcohol.