PDA

View Full Version : Blowing white smoke 23KAWI

Bunton Guy
05-27-2009, 10:07 PM
my 23 kawi on my bobcat Z rider will blow white smoke when I fire it up for the first time of the day. A couple times a week it will do it when I fire up the mower after its been parked on a slight hill for a couple of minutes.

The oil,air filter, fuel filters have been kept up more often then the manual advises for so I would hope its not pre-mature engine wear/ring wear?

Would it be bad valve seats? Oil level is just about spot on maybe a hair above level.

900hrs. on the engine.

The white smoke smells like burnt oil so I know its not fuel.

Two Seasons
05-27-2009, 11:34 PM
We've got less than 200 hours on our Pro-V right now. After every service of the air cleaner, white smoke pours out of it for several minutes. Not sure why.

4.3mudder
05-27-2009, 11:46 PM
White smoke will either be a head gasket or water in the gas

Bunton Guy
05-28-2009, 09:51 PM
I wouldnt doubt head gaskets...its been leaking oil for a couple hundred hours right in the V it drips from behind the carb. Im guessing one or both of the head gaskets are leaking. Could be onto something....this winter I was going to put new headgaskets on it.

4.3mudder
05-29-2009, 09:25 AM
I wouldnt doubt head gaskets...its been leaking oil for a couple hundred hours right in the V it drips from behind the carb. Im guessing one or both of the head gaskets are leaking. Could be onto something....this winter I was going to put new headgaskets on it.

It might get worse so I would look into it very soon before it stops on you while you are out cutting.

Bunton Guy
05-29-2009, 07:00 PM
At the rate it leaks it never goes below the "full" line inbetween my 75hr. oil change intervals.

sjessen
05-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Lots of engines do this after they get some hours on them. I know mine do. May be wrong but believe it is a little oil draining past the valve guides and into the cylinder. There are diagnostic tests that can be done to check out your engine but if it only is happening once in a while I wouldn't worry too much.