PDA

View Full Version : bought a new used truck....what to check

born2farm
05-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok I know this is a plow truck but it will be used for landscaping too. I recently picked up a 1993 Ford F350 4x4 with a 7.3L Diesel and a manual tranny. The truck had a 9.2 boss v plow on it and has had a plow for a good portion of its life. The truck was well maintained but has a lot of rust due to having a bed salter for its whole life. What are some thing I should check for and replace?

Two more questions. My steering has a little play in it and the drivers side wheel seems to be at a little tilt. Could this be the ball joints going out?

The truck starts hard even when it warm. I put a new fuel filter on it because it was running sluggish and that helped that but now im thinking either I got air in the lines or the pump needs replaced?

B&A lawn care
05-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Sluggish, hard starting could be from quite a few things on that truck the pump being one of them. Best to check cheaper to fix things first.

Engine must spin over to start. Low, weak or low amp batteries or going out starters any of which will slow down the cranking speed dont cut it and need replaced.
Glow plugs must all work.
Fuel leakage at the return lines (on top of the injectors) is common but kits are available to fix.
If it still has the leaky two piece filter housing you should trash the lower part where the drain is located and replace the eliment with the new NAPA version that allows for that part to be thrown away.
When these things are right the engine starts almost instantly unless the pump is bad.
Injectors can cause problems and luckily are cheap, replace them if you have to go through thte pump.

Probably best to go the the Ford enthusiasts site and find the correct forum for you truck. Bunch of good guys and info there to help you out.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Was just through 'dinktown yesterday on my way to 'gilead

Need4racin
05-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Change the fluid.

Front d60, rear 10.25 gear oil. Add limited slip additive if it is a LS.
Fresh ATF in the t-case.
Fresh ATF (i think atf for zf5) in the manual tranny.
Fresh coolant
Fuel filter/air filter/oil filter/ oil
Check condition of brakes, repack front wheel bearings.

That's about it maintenance wise..