PDA

View Full Version : Troy Bilt, SMOKIN'!

brembonecrusher
05-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Troy Bilt- stored UPRIGHT (nose down) over winter. NOW I know that was the wrong thing to do, but did not then. Started it this spring, smoked something fierce (yes I now know OIL was in the cylinder.)

I let it run a short time, and it just seemed to keep getting worse- meaning, oil smoke slowly dissipated, but the mower slower ran worse and worse. Sounded to me like fuel flow or carburetor issues.

My question is- what should I do? Is it possible that just a carb cleaning will fix it? Could the running it the first time with oil in cylinder top ruin the cylinder/rings?

B&A lawn care
05-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Look at it this way, you have a Toy bilt that runs so you have 75% of TB owners beat already:laugh:

Seriously If the smoke was still getting worse the muffler is likely full of oil and as it warms the oil in it starts to burn adding to smoke levels. Remove the muffler and wash it out or easier yet just take it out back and just let it run, it will quit smoking in a few minutes. If the thing is wanting to quit running it could be that the plug is oil soaked and needs cleaned or replaced. Could be carburetor or fuel delivery issues but that has nothing to do with your storage proceedure and very hard to diagnose over the airwaves. NO you did not hurt the cylinder or rings, you could have bent the rod if it was hydrauliced from the oil filling the cylinder and you forced it over center. Did it pull over hard the first time?

DT Lawn Care
05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Look at it this way, you have a Troy bilt that runs so you have 75% of TB owners beat already:laugh:

True :laugh:

Sounds like good advice. Muffler and spark plug would be the first things I'd try.

GL

4.3mudder
05-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey now, I have a Troy Bilt and it runs, so I'm in the percentage.