PDA

View Full Version : 3" stone Installation price help

Frenchie
05-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi,
I am in CT. I have a place that wants to install new beds of 3" stone. I'd have to pull up the sod and edge new beds. My dimensions are right side 2' out by 35' long w/ sod removal and edging. Left side 4.5' out by 28' long. Approximately 16' of that would be the sod removal and edging. Across the front 3' out by 25' long. These are mulched with older mulch currently. I'd touch up the edges here as well. I mostly do mulch, lawns, and gardens. I haven't had any stone requests until now. A local stone dealer said I'd need 4tons to go 3" deep for new beds. The 4 tons left some leeway. I have a tractor and 1 helper. I'm thinking I can lay out good size scoops with the tractor if my worker is raking out the bucket. Tips, suggestions, and pricing help are deeply appreciated. I don't want to loose this account.
Thanks in advance.. I always get great help here.
Take care,
Frenchie

White Gardens
05-31-2009, 09:18 AM
I just charge labor + materials + markup.

Make sure you use a good edging to hold the rocks. Cut edges don't work to well with rock.

PSUturf
05-31-2009, 10:37 PM
The bigger the stone the harder it is to move around with a rake or shovel. If you know what to charge for standard 3/4" or 1 1/2" stone mulch mark it up 15-20% for the extra work of moving 3" stone.

AGLA
06-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Are you talking about 3" stone or smaller stone 3" deep?

The only time I have seen anything close to 3" stone used in a bed has been Mexican Beach Stone which is quite expensive.

I would never put 3" depth of stone on the top of anything. It will be a mess.

Frenchie
06-03-2009, 07:17 PM
It really is roughly 3" stones. Different places call it different things but they are all some type of "(choose a name........)River Stone". I checked with different suppliers and automatically with my dimensions they say "3" base" and have come up with about 4 tons. I'm just not sure what my labor charge should be. I have no idea how long it is going to take me to install.
So, what are your suggestions for edging? That plastic crap is just that crap. I mostly do natural edges but your right...In review, that will probably not hold the stones well. I am up for suggestions.
Thanks for everyones ideas! Keep them coming...:cool2:

AGLA
06-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Doh! Last night I was at a one of my on going residential design projects that involves dogs that like to dig - a lot! The homeowner broght home a half ton of 3" river stone to try it out in a bed. - Never say never, I guess:o

White Gardens
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
It really is roughly 3" stones. Different places call it different things but they are all some type of "(choose a name........)River Stone". I checked with different suppliers and automatically with my dimensions they say "3" base" and have come up with about 4 tons. I'm just not sure what my labor charge should be. I have no idea how long it is going to take me to install.
So, what are your suggestions for edging? That plastic crap is just that crap. I mostly do natural edges but your right...In review, that will probably not hold the stones well. I am up for suggestions.
Thanks for everyones ideas! Keep them coming...:cool2:

At the bear minimum, I'd use steel or Aluminum edging. The only other type that I use besides that is a brick and mortar edging. That consists of digging a trench 5 inches deep/wide, and using 2-3 inches of mortar with bricks laid in it.

After the edging and fabric is down, it should only take 4-5 hours tops to drop the rock down.

AGLA
06-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Granite cobbles is a good aesthetic because it has the visual strength to separate the two materials.

White Gardens
06-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Doh! Last night I was at a one of my on going residential design projects that involves dogs that like to dig - a lot! The homeowner broght home a half ton of 3" river stone to try it out in a bed. - Never say never, I guess:o

Not a fan of rock AGLA???