PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy Lawn Help!!!

lawsonc
05-29-2009, 10:55 PM
I just build a house last year and when we did the septic system we tore the heck out of the back yard. It is close to 2 acres and stupid me did not drag it too well before seeding. So now i have the BUMPIEST kidney busting mowing experience when i mow.

My question is should i try and topdress it all and reseed, or should i pretty much till it all up and start over. I have to watch what equipment(skid steer etc) what i take over it because of my chambers. I really do not want to take a tractor over the area either but i might a small one.
Would a topdress machine help?
Should i mix sand and soil?
I can get great topsoil pretty cheap and have access to a dump truck.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

GOOSEHANSON
05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
water it real good and get a yard roller, it will fix it for you

tacoma200
05-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I would start over, at least in the affected area.

topsites
05-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Speaking from experience you don't want to till it, that won't fix it at all.
The problem is loose soil, you can rake it out all you want but the first time that
mower drives over it, the rutting starts again due to tires sinking.

You can try and top dress it but after it's all said and done you still got the loose soil.

Best thing to do is either tolerate that crap for some time, the mower will eventually flatten it all out.

Or you might can try rolling it?
I would wait until after a really good, long rain.

tacoma200
05-30-2009, 01:18 AM
I use a grader box behing a tractor when it's dry and have had excellent results. Of course the ground is worked up a bit first.

lawsonc
05-30-2009, 02:33 PM
I might try the grader box. I also might try the roller at first, then aerate soon after.

JCinNC
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I've got the exact same problem, and have been mowing it for almost 10 years now, and it is still painful to cut this area. I have considered overlaying the area with some fill dirt, but don't know if that will effect the drain lines, or killing all the grass and re-grading this area with a tractor and rake.

Has anyone else here had to rework an improperly graded like this?

LandscapemanFL
07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I laid dirt in the low spots to level out the yard. Grass seem to come right back. It worked for me.