PDA

View Full Version : Mulch/Grass line

Mikey Palmice
05-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I am going to be putting in mulch around my house, about 5 feet off the walls. I will be putting down weed screen and the mulch will be slightly raised and graded towards the grass. I have some fill elevating the area where the mulch will be right now. I will be adding in some topsoil where the grass will be so that I can seed.

I just had a couple of questions about the edging.

1. what is the best way to handle the edge where the grass line meets the mulch line? I have seen those plastic dividers, but I would rather do something without buying borders. I would like the mulch to just meet the grass line.

2. what is a good depth for the mulch? 3 inches?

3. If an area isn't that large, is it ok to hand seed? How much seed should be put down, I guess per square foot? Is it a heavy spread of seeds, or spread out?

thanks

Smallaxe
05-30-2009, 07:45 AM
A big reason for borders is for mowing. Set it well enough that you can cut the grass, all the grass, without weedeating, and without throwing mulch all over the yard.

For seed you prep the soil nice and loose. Spread the seed like pepper on an omlet, then lightly rake it in with a broom rake and soak it down good.

Don't let it dry out until it is 1 inch tall.

White Gardens
05-30-2009, 07:11 PM
If you don't want to put edging down, make a trench/cut edge for the mulch grass line. The only problem is that it erodes, and fills back in and needs to be maintained properly.

I agree with Axe though, use a good metal edging set right, and you'll have little to no issues in the future.

Mikey Palmice
05-30-2009, 07:37 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

I have no green thumb, what exactly do you mean by a trench cut edge?

thanks

I kind of know what you mean, just not how to achieve it.

I noticed some hard plastic looking edging that was in a roll. Is this stuff garbage?

thanks again

Smallaxe
05-31-2009, 09:42 AM
... I noticed some hard plastic looking edging that was in a roll. Is this stuff garbage? ...

It does the job. I have one high-end HO that uses it everywhere, for the ease and price. He is fine with the end result...

bigslick7878
05-31-2009, 01:58 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

I have no green thumb, what exactly do you mean by a trench cut edge?

thanks

I kind of know what you mean, just not how to achieve it.

I noticed some hard plastic looking edging that was in a roll. Is this stuff garbage?

thanks again

You take a shovel and dig out a little trench around the mulch beds.Just dig down about 4 inches or so and it will create a defined look and keep the separation between the grass and beds.

Trim it every time you mow and it you wont have any issues with the grass invading the mulch and it will look good for a while.

And yes,the plastic edging is garbage.If you dig out around the beds there is no need for it anyway.

Mikey Palmice
05-31-2009, 04:56 PM
You take a shovel and dig out a little trench around the mulch beds.Just dig down about 4 inches or so and it will create a defined look and keep the separation between the grass and beds.

Trim it every time you mow and it you wont have any issues with the grass invading the mulch and it will look good for a while.

And yes,the plastic edging is garbage.If you dig out around the beds there is no need for it anyway.

will do. thanks for the help