PDA

View Full Version : broadcast 1/2 of the seed before hydroseed?

lawncuttinfoo
05-29-2009, 11:10 PM
broadcast 1/2 of the seed before hydroseed?
Doing my first hydroseed job soon and I heard this hint from someone. Do you do this?

Turboguy
05-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I have done it a few times but don't do it on a regular basis. I have talked to others who do it all the time that way or even apply all thier seed as a separate step. I would guess the percentage of guys who do it that way are less than 5%. Most guys just add their seed and fertilzer right in the mix.

About the only time I do it that way fairly regularly is if I am overseeding a thin lawn and then doing spot repairs. I will use a spin spreader on the thin areas but still have a fair amount of seed in my mix. It does give good seed to soil contact that way but I can double my coverage and get the job done a lot faster, have good results and not worry about smothering the grass that is there. I will do the spot repairs then with the same coverage I would normally use for hydro seeding.

starry night
06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I know a guy who hydroseeds and he broadcasts all the seed first before hydromulching, He believes he gets much more consistent seed coverage that way.